General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Summit screws up and I get free stuff..Thanks Summit!

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Arrrggggg

Summit screws up and I get free stuff..Thanks Summit!

So the skinny of it is Summit Racing screwed up on my order. I dropped roughly 8k with them in the past 110 days. 4500 this past week alone on everything from Rear disc conversion kit, mini racing starter, wheels, tires, stainless brake lines from front to rear, stainless flex lines, quick ratio billet gear box, 2 carbs, edelbrock heads, and a ton of other **** just to name a few things.

I get my rear disc kit Friday. Today I decide to toss it on real quick and it should be a quick process. I remove all the brown wrapped packages from the box. I literally expect everything to be there as the paper is marked with numbers and it corresponded with the packing list. I cut my rear brake lines, I tear off the wheel cylinder since it was rusted to the plate, I beat the plate up pretty bad just trying to get it freed from rust.

I start with the new kit assembly. As I read trying to figure out how this kit goes together since it's obvious a 6 year old wrote the instructions I see the backing plates on the instructions and in the picture of part break down and its also listed on the kit contents page. But wait, where are the plates at? I start ripping through the brown wrapped packages and the very first one was a good size wrapped package and to my surprise it's empty inside. I'm like hrmmm ok and I move on to the reat. By time I get done I have a full kit missing one of the main pieces the backing plates. So at this point i'm pretty steamed that I tore my car apart and do not have the parts to put the kit on even though everything said it should be in there including the checked off packing slip.

I call summit, get a nice lady on the other end. Long story short she basically says "Sir, we stopped including these with the kits". So my response was, you website says YES INCLUDED, the packing slip says YES INCLUDED, the image of the parts diagram shows it, the instructions say that the plate IS INCLUDED. She says well there is a disclaimer on or website that says if we have an error on a listing that shows a part that we dont include were covered. I said well hell every single one of your summit kits as I am clicking through them shows plates included. Your telling me there not included on any kits anymore but yet your website has over 150 summit rear disc conversion kits for all makes and models and its basically lying to people and false advertising?? She said it's not false advertising we have a disclaimer.

So at this point I play the X amount spent with them card and I told her I dont care if they include them anymore or not someone is making this right. I told her I tore apart my rear end just to find out the bag was empty. She said well were not going to cover them but you can buy them for 130.00 over the phone. Or we can cover up to 15.00 for your trouble tearing up parts on your dismantle if you fax us the receipt showing the date as well as a picture of what you removed from your car that was damaged. At this point Im like do you believe this ****?? I told her at this point I might as well had just paid the 520 for the SSBC kit that has billet backing plates since it would cost me more for there kit without and have to buy the plates separate.

I even told her I would just send the kit back and get a refund if she sent me a shipping label. NOPE. I must pay to send the stuff back. Total horse **** Summit Racing. I have no issues being loyal to any business and sticking with them regardless if there more expensive than others. At this point they can kiss my *** I will move over to Jegs and try them for a while. I even told her that when my quarters came in and they had some small dents and 1 end had a small crease the guy gave me half off the entire order and shipping to be refunded back to me. So 300 back to me for a tiny amount of damage. I get screwed by false advertising or an error as she called it and she expects ME to shell the extra out or pay for return shipping if I want to go with another kit/company that has them. BS!!

I tell her fine I will handle this myself and hung up on her. I call paypal and explain things I send the picture of the listing, tell him the URL, send images of the packing list, instructions, image diagram all showing it includes a set of backing plates. Told him if it did not get solved while I had him on the phone my next call would be to my bank to do a charge back on every single last thing I had purchased through summit for the past 110 days. He said that would not be necessary. He put me through to his supervisor and we all 3 were on the line. He explained that they will issue a charge back from summit since and strike there account..whatever the hell a strike is. Summit wont care about any strike or charge back. They didn't care to send a customer out some plates that should have been in the kit you think they will care about a strike and charge back. I also tell them about how bad the headers would not fit and that the holes were not drilled right. I then explained about the body panels being dented and other issues with me previous orders as well. So after a 45 minute phone call I see an email come through. Paypal issued an arbitration order in my favor for buyer protection. I thought cool that was quick so I open the email and HOLY ****!!! They issued a buyer protection amount on not just the brake kit but my complete order from last week.

Pisses me off that it had to come to this. I can't believe that a company would in good conscience **** a customer out of something that is clearly listed on every last brake kit they offer under there name. Well, on the full kits anyways. This kit is really an SSBC kit every single part has SSBC stamped on it. I mean, don't get me wrong I probably should have tore every last little thing out of the box and unwrapped and checked. My issue is, it's not that they were just missing because someone FORGOT to include them. My issue is there missing because they DONT include them anymore even though there entire site, instructions, images, box sheet EVERYTHING says otherwise. Furthermore for 50.00 more I could have bought a nice SSBC kit which when I called them to get the plates for this kit they said YES it includes them in all there kits.

Clearly in the image below you can see they claim backing plates are included and it even shows them in there picture above. I have pictures of the shipping manifest, packing manifest, instructions and diagram for install that all show the plates are supposed to be in the box.

Last edited by Creativeindy; September 9th, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:47 PM

Well you convinced me to never order anything from Summit. What pisses me off is the arrogance of the operator.
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:03 PM

It sounds like she did not know what she was doing. One time I was short a part, they sent it out, no problem.
So in short , they lost big money over a $100 some odd bucks.
I bet in a couple of days you will get a call, wanting to fix the problem and make it right.

Gene
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow.

Thanks for the information.

- Eric
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:48 PM

It chaffs my a$$ that companies are giving less and less by surprise than just raising the price. Then trying to say it is right, and their little disclaimer means they can screw people.
Glad you got credited at least.
Old September 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
It sounds like she did not know what she was doing. One time I was short a part, they sent it out, no problem.
So in short , they lost big money over a $100 some odd bucks.
I bet in a couple of days you will get a call, wanting to fix the problem and make it right.

Gene
Right! Juast like I stated above about the quarters for the 71. The total on that order was 605.00 shipped. They arrived in banged up boxes with some very minor damage. I just expected them to just ship me out a new set and me return these and I would have been fine. This feller gave me half off the entire order so 300 back to me. I was like man thats just too much and his response was that I was a good customer to have and he would rather keep me happy than have me spend money else where. This was one of the main reasons I kept ordering through summit instead of cheaper places on ebay.

Hell, how could they not expect ANYONE to be mad. Even if I had not started ripping the car apart and I got the package and seen them missing before hand. Now I'm stuck trying to locate specific backing plates for a specific kit that I purchased under the pretense I didn't need anything additional. Anyone would be pissed about this. I don't see this as an error that they accidentally left on there listings. I think she just had no ******* clue what she was doing and didn't care to inquire any further. SHe probably was playing the odds I would just spend more money. Sorry, but that wasn't going to happen. I made positive when I placed my order it included EVERYTHING or so I thought LOL

She either didn't know what she was doing like you said or she just didn't give a ****. I guarantee when they see they had 4500 ripped back from there accounts and they start tracing back to why and how and the phone call she will get a nice *** reaming no doubt.

I don't expect all my parts for free or my money back. Quite frankly I am not going to keep the money or the parts for free. I expect them to honor the backing plates at no cost for THEIR screw up. What Paypal did surprises me and I will bet I get a call or email from them saying they only meant to credit me the buyer protection for the items that were incorrect. We shall see how it goes over the next day or so. I honestly thing I should call back tomorrow and speak to someone a little higher up the food chain who isn't a weekend drone. Someone who will care if they loose my business or if they loose a few thousand from the arrogance of a weekend drone.

Last edited by Creativeindy; September 9th, 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Creativeindy
I guarantee when they see they had 4500 ripped back from there accounts and they start tracing back to why and how and the phone call she will get a nice *** reaming no doubt.
Actually, since you got such good service that other time, and since those calls are all recorded nowadays, they will very likely review the entire phone call, and then the writeup of your PayPal phone call that PayPal sends them, and then fire her.

- Eric
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Actually, since you got such good service that other time, and since those calls are all recorded nowadays, they will very likely review the entire phone call, and then the writeup of your PayPal phone call that PayPal sends them, and then fire her.

- Eric
Yea well unfortunately that would truly suck if someone got fired with jobs being so hard now a days. That would not be what I am aiming for. I am more than sure she is just a drone who answers phone calls in customer service on the weekend. I would bet she is not authorized to give anything to anyone for that matter. Even still she could have been a little more pleasant and actually said this. IF she was not authorized to issue credits, parts or whatever a simple "Can you call back during normal operating hours" would have sufficed. Telling me in not so many words "Tough ****" is not something that sits well with me on a 500.00 kit that should be in that 500.00 kit. if she looses her job as troubling as it will be, shes in customer service she should have more common sense than this. Just my .02
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM

When you call talk to "Ken Kersh"at Summit. He is an "Oldsmobile" guy. I bet he will get it taken care of.

Gene
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Dang Brian,
Free W30 engines out the wazoo, $4500.00 credited back to you, I'd buy a freakin' lotto ticket next.
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Arrrggggg

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
Dang Brian,
Free W30 engines out the wazoo, $4500.00 credited back to you, I'd buy a freakin' lotto ticket next.
LOL It's usually the opposite. Usually its more like bill arrrives for 4500, motors in both cars blow crap like that. I seriously doubt I am able to keep that credit. Nothing in this world is free and I don't expect to keep it all. I am sure paypal just messed up. Maybe they thought I spent 4500 on a single item I am not sure. Truly they just needed to arbitrate the brake kit with missing part and nothing more. Well, possibly the header being way out of whack but still. I don't expect them to just give me money cause I am not sending all this back. I am happy with everything except the kit and the headers. Wheels, tires, exhaust, gear box, washer box, holley and edelbrock carbs, both sets of edelbrock heads all are great and arrived fine and I am happy with those purchases.
Old September 9th, 2012, 09:42 PM

Maybe she got her training at Mondello's in California or The Parts Place, wherever they moved too.
Sure she didn't speak in a high-pitched voice with a Hindi accent? [outsourced?]

It'll work out - to your favor!
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:21 PM

I got the shifty Summit shaft years ago on a set of headers that didn't fit. I called to let them know about the problem. I was told that the problem wasn't the headers, it was in reality a problem with my CAR! Exchange them? Nope, your problem, not ours. I had paid C.O.D. so I got screwed. It was Jeggs after that. Ordered damn near half of my race car parts from them with no drama or nasty surprises.