General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Suggestions for Breather circuit??

Old November 2nd, 2018, 05:09 PM
Oldscarnut

Red face Suggestions for Breather circuit??

I am now getting my lists together for parts ordering. One question has come up that I don't have a clue about. The project is a blueprinted Olds 350 put into a 1980 El Camino. The Valve covers have the grommets, but I do not have a stock air cleaner. In fact I have no air cleaner yet. Does someone have suggestions for PCV and breather plumbing? I assume they are both necessary but I do not have to make it work in a stock Air Cleaner so is there another way to make it breathe? It was suggested that the 80's 350 had a filter on the valve cover, but that it still vented to the air cleaner. I recall early 360's having a little round breather direct to the air, and of course the little black canister with metal tube and rubber connectors...again to the air cleaner. I want it to breathe right. Since this is not a restoration, I am not tied to the Olds parts bins if there is a way that works. I had planned on an aftermarket air cleaner. Any suggestions are welcome, except a SBC!
Old November 2nd, 2018, 05:37 PM
72 Olds CS

i just put a hose adapter on the bottom of my open aftermarket aircleaner and plumbed my breather to that. The PCV goes to the front of the carb...ill see if i can find a pic.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 05:44 PM
72 Olds CS

found two pics a hose adapter like this and just attached to under side of air cleaner

Old November 2nd, 2018, 08:44 PM
Oldscarnut

Looks great, about what I had pictured in my mind! Thanks. I see you kept the little canister and that is tbe thing I thought I had to replace
Old November 3rd, 2018, 07:05 AM
72 Olds CS

I kept the canister it's really only a can w a screen in it, I've seen the filters that replace this type of breather arrangement , but after a few miles it seems there is generally an oily residue around them, this setup stays pretty clean.