General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Steering Wheel Play

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2011, 07:15 PM

Angry Steering Wheel Play

Brought my 56 Olds in for front end alignment. Steering was fine before I brought it in. Now I have unreasonable play in the steering wheel. Hardly kept it on the road. Anyone have an idea what they may have done to cause the steering to be out of whack?
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:32 PM

I really don't know if a 56 has a rag joint, but if it does that would be the first place I would look. That would be where the steering shaft meets the steering box.
I say look there because if you just had an alignment they should have checked all the steering/suspension componets to make sure they were all in good condition. If they were worn they would have told you and tried to get you to pay them to replace the worn parts. At least that is how they do it in my area. If there is doubt maybe you should ask the alignment shop if they checked the car for worn parts.
Good luck,
Mike
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:45 PM

Do you know if they adjusted the steering box? This is important, because adjusting the steering box is more than screwing down the adjustment nut that is on the top of the box. If they overtightened the top adjuster screw, they just ruined a good steering box. More on this later when you answer the question..
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Oldsdruid

Did they use the correct 1956 specifications? You may have to furnish those, because I can about promise you their alignment machine's computer did not have them.

If car drove OK before, that tells me they do not have something set right.

And no, a 56 does not have a rag joint. The steering wheel shaft is part of the steering box.
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Administrator

I don't think its play, its probably road walk. The alignment shop, as mentioned above, completely messed up your alignment and basically you are over compensating while driving. Bring it back with some specs for the proper settings and I bet it'll correct itself!!!
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 66luvr
I really don't know if a 56 has a rag joint, but if it does that would be the first place I would look. That would be where the steering shaft meets the steering box.
I say look there because if you just had an alignment they should have checked all the steering/suspension componets to make sure they were all in good condition. If they were worn they would have told you and tried to get you to pay them to replace the worn parts. At least that is how they do it in my area. If there is doubt maybe you should ask the alignment shop if they checked the car for worn parts.
Good luck,
Mike
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:57 AM

I don't think they fooled with the steering. I would agree that they fouled up the alignment. I did not provide them with the shop manual - which I do have. I won't be bringing it back there - that's for certain. I recently got a name of a local shop that knows old cars! I'll have to bring it there to correct whatever they did. Also, someone said they may have not tightened the tie rods after doing the alignment. I think OldCutlass had that inkling. Thanks to all who responded. All the feedback helped me immensely. It's great to just find out what could mess up the steering even if it turns out to be not the problem. Thanks.
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Did they use the correct 1956 specifications? You may have to furnish those, because I can about promise you their alignment machine's computer did not have them.

If car drove OK before, that tells me they do not have something set right.

And no, a 56 does not have a rag joint. The steering wheel shaft is part of the steering box.
Old July 31st, 2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks for your feedback - you were also going along the lines of incorrect alignment too. When I brought the car in there wasn't much play in the steering - so it really must be an alignment issue. Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:14 PM
Administrator

I'd be willing to bet that they did retighten everything back. Without the proper alignment specs they are just generically setting it to what they thought would work. Bring it back and explain your problem. Wortst case scenario is they will give a bunch of excuses pointing to worn parts, etc. as to why your car is currrently driving like CACA. Then you can explain to them they should not have went and aligned it without notifying you of those issues. Then you can explain to them you would appreciate a refund, and you will correct their error. Or best case scenario they will do it correctly. Either way you win!