General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Steering not returning

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2020, 07:20 PM

Steering not returning

So I got my 65 all back together I sent a steering box out from the 71 and had it rebuilt with less turns lock to lock, had a car aligned, and rebuilt the steering column, steers and drives great except for the steering wheel doesn’t return back to center I have to turn it back. The question is is this a function of the steering box or possibly the alignment because we couldn’t get a lot of caster in it? Thanks in advance

Last edited by brandon reynolds; September 19th, 2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old September 19th, 2020, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by brandon reynolds
I sent a steering box out from the 71 and had it rebuilt with less turns like to walk,
"Like to walk"??? Huh? Do you mean "lock to lock"?

had a car aligned, and rebuilt the steering column, steers and drives great except for the steering wheel doesn’t return back to center I have to turn it back. The question is is this a function of the steering box or possibly the alignment because we couldn’t get a lot of caster in it?
Either, or both, or something else entirely.

Added positive caster makes for stronger return-to-center. Lack of positive caster makes for weaker return-to-center.

Steering boxes can have problems that affect return-to-center.

Anything in the steering linkage from steering column to ball joints that has excess friction can affect return-to-center.

Steering knuckles that are bent or damaged could affect return-to-center.

FIRST thing to consider is alignment. Next would be steering box. After that...you're looking at individual steering parts until you find one or more bent or high-friction items. I'd unhook the rag joint from the steering box, if the steering wheel turns easily, the problem is the box or the linkage. Next I'd disconnect both outer tie rod ends. If the steering knuckles pivot easily, the problem is between the steering gear input shaft and the outer tie rod ends. Break the system down into smaller chunks, test the individual chunks. If everything is good with the linkage, it's likely the steering box.

Last edited by Schurkey; September 19th, 2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old September 19th, 2020, 08:19 PM

New steering box may have too much pre-load. Try backing it off in 1/4 turn increments, about 3/4 turn at max.

Good luck!!!
Old September 19th, 2020, 08:52 PM
Administrator

I'd drive it a while, the steering box may need some time to break in. If the car is wandering that may be a product of the toe adjustment in your alignment.
Old September 19th, 2020, 11:24 PM

Everything in the steering and suspension is new everything moves freely. I’ve be driving it for approximately a month and it still doesn’t return.
Old September 20th, 2020, 12:24 AM

Verify alignment, and if that's within spec (or better than spec...but you've already said the caster is less than optimum) replace the steering gear and see what happens. Even a "good used" stock steering gear would be OK to try--see if the return-to-center gets better.
Old September 20th, 2020, 05:16 AM
Old(s) Fart

All good advice. Also, is the steering linkage centered when the wheels are straight ahead? With the front end in the air, count the turns lock-to-lock and then come back half way. If the wheels aren't straight ahead at that point, that's at least part of your problem. Ignore the orientation of the steering wheel until you have the box and linkage centered.
Old September 20th, 2020, 07:31 AM

I bought an 85 442 new in November of 84 and the first thing I noticed was the steering didn't return as well as a normal steering box. I think the ratio of the steering box has a lot to do with this issue.
Old September 20th, 2020, 07:45 AM
72 Olds CS

When i replaced my steering gear w a new rebuilt fast ratio unit it had poor return to center. I talked to the rebuilder who advised dont changethe preload adjustment but drive it and it should get better, at 300 miles it wasnt any better, at 500 miles it was perfect. Now w a couple k miles on it i have no issues.

id check in w the rebuilder first.
Old September 20th, 2020, 07:49 AM

Retro who was your rebuilder?
Old September 20th, 2020, 11:06 AM
72 Olds CS

Lares

heres a thread

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...a-tight-52888/
Old September 20th, 2020, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Everything in the steering and suspension is new everything moves freely. I’ve be driving it for approximately a month and it still doesn’t return.
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All good advice. Also, is the steering linkage centered when the wheels are straight ahead? With the front end in the air, count the turns lock-to-lock and then come back half way. If the wheels aren't straight ahead at that point, that's at least part of your problem. Ignore the orientation of the steering wheel until you have the box and linkage centered.
If you've put considerable miles on the car with everything moving freely and you've verified Joe P's comment, then all that remains is alignment.