General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Steering Column

I was wondering what kind of paint works the best for steering columns?
Old March 14th, 2013, 09:55 AM

I used Krylon satin (semi-gloss) black. I find Krylon easier to spray than most others and I like the sheen. No, I don't sell paint.
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:28 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Any good high quality spray bomb will do. The secret is in the prep and paint method. If any armorall, or the like, has ever touched that column it will fish eye....ask how I know. Scuff and sand accordingly until your happy with the finish. Next step hit it with prepsol or some other type of surface cleaner several times with a clean wiper, consult your local automotive body paint supply. It wont hurt to apply a thin even layer of compatible primer...note the word thin, just enough to cover. 2 light coats work better than one heavy. Lay the top coat on the same manor, several thin coats until the last. The last can be laid on just slightly heavier.
If the fish eyes still prevail here is the secret to that; Let what you have on there already cure for a week or more in dry heat. Unless you want to strip it back down to metal? Sand it if needed. Apply surface prep then paint. This time fog on each coat. When I say fog I mean do one pass then walk away. Let each fog thoroughly dry then repeat. I had one that even with the fish eye eliminator I could not get the paint to lay on nice. I called an old timer and he suggested the fog method and wa-la it came out like new. Took a week to paint the dash and column. That paint is still in place 30 years later.