General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stealing an old car

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2021, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Stealing an old car

Good article and video on how easy it is to steal an old car. This is why you need to really think about your deterrent method.
Stealing Classic Cars Is Unbelievably Easy (motorious.com)
Old May 14th, 2021, 04:10 PM

I think that this is the perfect deterent. Might be a little rough on the paint though.

Old May 14th, 2021, 04:35 PM

We watch a lot of TV, and the thing that drives me absolutely crazy is how easy them make it look to steal a newer car. Seems the steering wheel interlock just magically unlocks itself once they hotwire the ignition, which is always so easily accessable right below the dash............. GRRRRR .............
Old May 14th, 2021, 04:43 PM
72Cutlass S

Originally Posted by RandyS
We watch a lot of TV, and the thing that drives me absolutely crazy is how easy them make it look to steal a newer car. Seems the steering wheel interlock just magically unlocks itself once they hotwire the ignition, which is always so easily accessable right below the dash............. GRRRRR .............
ya that bundle of ignition wires that routes right down to the bottom of the dash. I think it is always the red wire to the green and bingo. The column interlock and the passive anti theft are rendered useless. I work on big rigs and it’s the same thing. They cut the air lines to the trailer and the driver cant stop. In reality without the air the brakes are locked up and you are dragging the trailer. You have to love Hollywood.
Old May 14th, 2021, 04:51 PM

I worked at a grocery store back in high school. lots of folks would lock the keys in their cars and would be completely astonished at how quickly / easily we would be able to open their car with a coat hanger.

That's one reason why all of my friends and I replaced the factory button top door lock pins with straight pins. Just one more thing to slow a potential thief down.
Old May 14th, 2021, 06:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Why is this a surprise to anyone? I can unlock my car more quickly with my slim jim than I can with the key. And my 62 needs only one wire to hot wire it. The purple START wire has a connector right next to the horn relay, so all you need to do is power to the coil, pull that connector, and touch it to the stud on the horn relay to crank. No steering column lock to worry about.
Old May 14th, 2021, 06:51 PM
Banned

Exactly. When I brought my 66 home I didn't have the keys on me. Two wires and boom.
Old May 14th, 2021, 07:21 PM

Are you guys in readerland listening to our family dinner conversations?!!!!

My wife use to work in the medical field. One of her tv pet peeves in supposedly newborn babies that are obviously several months old. Which is how this discussion got started.

Mine include car alarms with neatly bundled wiring (cut the bundle, the alarm magically shuts off) someone crawling thru enormous building ductwork (I have never seen ductwork that is as clean or spacious as seen in the movies) being able to Hotwire a car while sitting comfortably in the drivers seat (what car has several feet of wire stuffed under the dash?!). The list goes on.

Old May 14th, 2021, 07:36 PM
Always room for one more

As an airplane mechanic, don't get me started on airplane movies. Passenger 57? No. Any of the Airport movies from the 70s? Well, they were amusing.

Old May 14th, 2021, 08:36 PM

What I am surprised by is how modern cars are being stolen so often. I think it's due to the no mechanical key start button. All you have to do is spoof the presence of the key fob.
Old May 14th, 2021, 08:43 PM
Banned

I was in the car stereo business in the mid late 80's into the nineties. Alarms were starting to pick-up. You could buy an interior piercing siren that would make you deaf. They were outlawed. I still have a few. 😈
Old May 14th, 2021, 08:46 PM

Being a locksmith we see when a house is robbed they take your spare keys that are just thrown on the drawer. Then come back later when car is home and drive it away.
With today's ignition systems it's near impossible to steal without a key. Hence the reason for increase in car jacking.
The old cars we would run a wire from battery to coil. Use dipstick across starter and drive away. I was glad to read on this site about the performance ignition as I sleep well knowing my phone shut ignition off.
Old May 14th, 2021, 08:51 PM

It's easy to steal a modern car if you have the electronics to spoof the fob.
Old May 14th, 2021, 09:23 PM
Administrator

The reason I posted this is to show that the kill switches people dream up in some of the past threads are in most cases not a deterrent.
Old May 15th, 2021, 04:48 AM
Running On Empty

Removing the battery and locking it in the truck while you're away from the car can help. Criminals are quite lazy.
Old May 15th, 2021, 05:03 AM

Fuel shut off switch works well on older cars, they may get it but a few blocks later its stalled. I had one on a 65 gto I street raced back in the day, simple petcock on the fuel line, mid car..now I am an old dude in 60’s I would need a more friendly way than getting on my hands and knees to shut fuel off..however now I have a garage and an alarm system, back then all the money went toward going faster, not garages..
Old May 15th, 2021, 05:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by matt69olds
My wife use to work in the medical field. One of her tv pet peeves in supposedly newborn babies that are obviously several months old.
That's kind of by law (not to mention common sense). You can't use a newborn in filming, and there are time limits on the ability to use very young children in filming. When I lived in LA, a friend had twins, which the studios love because they can get twice as much filming of babies done at once by swapping out the twins. These kids were in some commercials.
Old May 15th, 2021, 05:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Andylappin
Fuel shut off switch works well on older cars, they may get it but a few blocks later its stalled.
The one I always liked was the use of a slow-blow fuse in the power line to the coil. A hidden toggle switch in parallel with the fuse lets you start the car normally. With the switch open, the car starts and runs just long enough for the thief to pull out into traffic, then dies. The thief isn't going to spend time troubleshooting, and bolts.
Old May 15th, 2021, 05:09 AM

If someone wants it bad enough.... I had a gorgeous, hot rodded 57 Convertible back in the 70's. Spent ALL my time and money on it to make fix it up. Went to Raceway Park one day, came out, and it was gone. And I had a fuel shut off, hidden of course, and an ignition ground switch wired into the coil, and battery disconnected in the trunk. I believe they just hooked it up to a flatbed, and "Adios!"
Old May 15th, 2021, 05:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by chopolds
I believe they just hooked it up to a flatbed, and "Adios!"
These trucks exist...

Old May 15th, 2021, 05:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

So do these

Old May 15th, 2021, 05:30 AM

I can get into my cars faster with a slim jim than with the key. I once locked my keys in the car near a construction site and broke in with a piece of banding material.

If your keys are locket in the trunk, in less than five minutes you can be in the car and hot wire the trunk button.

The late 80s H and C body cars were an easy target for theft. Thieves chipped away the top of the steering column to expose the rod going down to the ignition switch, twisting the shaft unlocked the wheel and started the car. These column locks were readily available, but a real PIA to use. I just put a kill switch on the fuel pump circuit.

Old May 15th, 2021, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
As an airplane mechanic, don't get me started on airplane movies. Passenger 57? No. Any of the Airport movies from the 70s? Well, they were amusing.

so this isn’t a realistic representation of the airline industry?!

Or this???

great. Now I doubt everything in life.
Old May 15th, 2021, 07:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
The late 80s H and C body cars were an easy target for theft. Thieves chipped away the top of the steering column to expose the rod going down to the ignition switch, twisting the shaft unlocked the wheel and started the car.
I'm pretty sure a slide hammer in the lock cylinder is a LOT quicker, and works on any 1969-later car.
Old May 15th, 2021, 07:24 AM

Theft

Steadfast had a superior column guard for GM columns. I think they are out of business but kits are still out there. It was a permanent clamp around column. It protected left side from hammer attack and you could not slide hammer ignition lock out. Tried posting a picture but it would not post.
Old May 15th, 2021, 07:30 AM

Theft

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I'm pretty sure a slide hammer in the lock cylinder is a LOT quicker, and works on any 1969-later car.
I would bet a rock and pliers are quicker then any slide hammer. Let's just say this is from a voice of experience. No carrying slide hammers around the neighborhood.
Old May 15th, 2021, 07:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 7314haywood
I would bet a rock and pliers are quicker then any slide hammer. Let's just say this is from a voice of experience. No carrying slide hammers around the neighborhood.
Maybe less obtrusive. Definitely not quicker. Probably noisier as well. Takes less than 60 seconds to screw the slide hammer into the lock and pop the cylinder out. A flat blade screwdriver starts the car. Done.
Old May 15th, 2021, 07:44 AM

The one I always liked was the use of a slow-blow fuse in the power line to the coil. A hidden toggle switch in parallel with the fuse lets you start the car normally. With the switch open, the car starts and runs just long enough for the thief to pull out into traffic, then dies. The thief isn't going to spend time troubleshooting, and bolts.
Never heard of that, even better.....
Old May 15th, 2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by chopolds
If someone wants it bad enough.... I had a gorgeous, hot rodded 57 Convertible back in the 70's. Spent ALL my time and money on it to make fix it up. Went to Raceway Park one day, came out, and it was gone. And I had a fuel shut off, hidden of course, and an ignition ground switch wired into the coil, and battery disconnected in the trunk. I believe they just hooked it up to a flatbed, and "Adios!"
Came out of where? Wow, that would suck, but like ya said, its never fool proof if a thief wants it bad enough, thats why they are called deterrents .
Old May 15th, 2021, 08:30 AM

I became a locksmith because of knowledge of car thefts. The shop I worked at in Illinois had me do auto work. My previous income was car related and the best at breaking a column and starting was 28 seconds. The column took only 2 hits and the rod was exposed. Most times it took more then 2 hits. We can agree to disagree but I'm speaking from experience.
Old May 15th, 2021, 09:38 AM

Maybe less obtrusive. Definitely not quicker. Probably noisier as well. Takes less than 60 seconds to screw the slide hammer into the lock and pop the cylinder out. A flat blade screwdriver starts the car. Done.

I did lots of theft recovery steering column repairs when I worked in the Buick and Cadillac dealerships. I don’t recall every having to replace a lock cylinder without also replacing a shattered upper column bowl. That suggests to me that discriminating car thrives preferred a ball pean hammer over a slide hammer.

The number of cars stolen just for joyrides slowed way down when the resister pellets started showing up in the ignition keys. I think they called it Pass Key? They had lots of different security system, I don’t remember all of the differences.
Old May 15th, 2021, 10:03 AM

So do these

That's compact. I think those little wheels in the bed are a dolly for the back wheels if the car can't roll on the back tires.

Old May 15th, 2021, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rocketguy
I can get into my cars faster with a slim jim than with the key. I once locked my keys in the car near a construction site and broke in with a piece of banding material.

If your keys are locket in the trunk, in less than five minutes you can be in the car and hot wire the trunk button.

The late 80s H and C body cars were an easy target for theft. Thieves chipped away the top of the steering column to expose the rod going down to the ignition switch, twisting the shaft unlocked the wheel and started the car. These column locks were readily available, but a real PIA to use. I just put a kill switch on the fuel pump circuit.

I have the 70s version of this. It has a folding collar, which the vendor intends for you to leave on, and a lock on cylinder and shifter cover plate. I asked if I could leave it removable, and he said, sure, just don't install X snap off rivet here. It takes about 2 min each way, but it helps a little.
Old May 15th, 2021, 10:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Koda
That's compact. I think those little wheels in the bed are a dolly for the back wheels if the car can't roll on the back tires.
That's exactly what they are.
Old May 15th, 2021, 10:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

I did lots of theft recovery steering column repairs when I worked in the Buick and Cadillac dealerships. I don’t recall every having to replace a lock cylinder without also replacing a shattered upper column bowl. That suggests to me that discriminating car thrives preferred a ball pean hammer over a slide hammer.
Usually when you slide hammer the lock cylinder, it shatters the bowl.
Old May 15th, 2021, 12:25 PM

Theft

The number of cars stolen just for joyrides slowed way down when the resister pellets started showing up in the ignition keys. I think they called it Pass Key? They had lots of different security system, I don’t remember all of the differences.
VATS. Vehicle Anti Theft System. First came out on 74 Corvette. Then other models followed. Later they went from single to double sided keys. Then PATS system 1,2,3. All work well and makes starting hard.
Old May 15th, 2021, 02:57 PM

1974???

I remember the VATS acronym, then the was PASS Key, PASS key 2, PASS LOCK, PASSLOCK, 2,3 I’m sure they have developed lots more since I worked on them.
Old May 15th, 2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I was in the car stereo business in the mid late 80's into the nineties. Alarms were starting to pick-up. You could buy an interior piercing siren that would make you deaf. They were outlawed. I still have a few. 😈
You only forgot to disarm your alarm while drunk ONCE! The headache you had the morning after was a beast with those. I still have one as well. They were called "Pain Generators". The super-bright strobe was a great side dish for them as well. The idea behind car alarms, anti-theft devices, whatever you call them was only to make your car look less desirable than the car next to yours. If a thief wants your car they will find a way to have it, and yes Virginia, tow trucks fit every car!
Old May 15th, 2021, 05:46 PM

Use to put the pop machine round style key lock on car fenders9 as to turn off ignition or turn on alarm. With an alarm you would short out by using a screw driver in turn signal socket. It would knock fuse out when you shook car and turned off alarm.
Old May 15th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

Show of hands.

How many here have ever called the cops when they heard a car alarm go off?

Didn't think so...

Quick Reply: Stealing an old car