General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:46 AM
kiwifarmer

starting problems

my 1955 olds 88 won't start after not going for a week ,theres no fuel in the filter ive had the fuel pump checked and been told its ok the car came with a electric priming pump but we removed it as it wasn't installed very well so there obviously was a problem should I just reinstalled it or is there something else I should do -starts straight away when I pour fuel down the carb
Old December 8th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Check all rubber hoses and steel lines between the tank and the pump for cracks and pinholes, including the tube on the sender.

A pinhole will allow in air and break the prime of the fuel pump, giving you the symptoms you describe.

- Eric
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:07 AM
kiwifarmer

thanks eric will do-paul
Old December 9th, 2013, 09:16 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

The electric pump was likely a band-aid for another problem like what MD suggests.
Also look at your carb. It could be leaking down after it sits? The fact that it fires if you "prime" it tells me the carbs dry. Let it sit for a week (dont try to start it) then remove the air cleaner and look down the carb while your actuating the accelerator pump. If you dont see fuel squirting out of the pump circuit the carbs likely leaking internally. If you see a strong fuel pump shot(s) and the car starts but quits after a few secs, then needs to be restarted several times, then Id start looking down the line (literally) at the pump, lines etc as mentioned (I caught what you said about the pump being tested as OK). Of course verity the chokes set properly too as that can cause similar symptoms.