starting problems

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:04 PM

starting problems

Hi folks!

Hope you all had a good start in the new car season!

I have some starting problems with our 67 Delta 88. If the engine is cold everytime you have to pump the gas pedal 20 times or more until the engine tries to start and to repeat the procedure 5-6 times until the engine is running bad. If the engine is warm it runs perfect.

I guess there is a problem with the choke. Does the part on the picture effect the problem? I don`t know yet what part it is.

Thank you very much

Regards

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Grafik1.jpg (81.6 KB, 33 views)
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM

No, that is your trans kickdown switch and switch pitch mechanism. Your problem is under the air cleaner on the carb.
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:34 PM

I've got a '67 Delta 88. Your problem could be the choke. Have you done anything to clean it or make sure it's actually working? You could also have a carb problem. If you take the air cleaner off and look down inside the carb while working the accelerator linkage, do you see gasoline being squirted from the jets?

You might need to rebuild the carburetor. I did that to mine. I was able to get a rebuild kit right over the counter at my local Autozone store. The job went smoothly, and my car (cross my fingers) starts right up even after sitting for a couple of weeks. If it's been sitting, I have to pump the pedal maybe 3 or 4 times before cranking it to get it to catch.
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:24 AM

Hi guys!
Thanks for the answers.
I think the choke doensn't work correct. I ordered a choke coil and a carb rebuild kit and think it is the best to make a complete rebuild like Jaunty said.

I am still a little bit confused about some parts on my car. What is this part about? It looks like it has no function on my car. There is no wire, no vacuum line and no contact to the rod.

By the way, has anybody an idea where to get the correct vacuum hoses for to rebuild the heater system?

Thanks and a nice Sunday

Ben
Attached Images
IMG_5561a.jpg (74.7 KB, 27 views)
IMG_5565.JPG (65.4 KB, 29 views)
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Oldsdruid

Ben, that is an anti-stall dashpot. It keeps the throttle from closing too quickly and stalling the engine. There is no wiring or vacuum to it, it's simply a diaphragm and a spring inside it. There is a clearance adjustment for it which is covered in the 1967 factory chassis service manual, or may be included in the carb rebuild kit.

Sounds to me like the choke is not closing when you start the car cold. Adjustment looks good on the coil from the pictures. May be just a weak choke coil or the linkage is dirty and sticking.

If you find the choke coil burned up, it's possible the choke hot air tubes have a hole in them where they go thru the intake crossover passage causing the choke issues. Do you hear a pfft noise at the top rear of the carb where the tube connects? If so, the choke tube is burned thru in the intake.

Those heater vacuum hoses should be commonly available 1/8" (or metric equivalent) inside diameter hose. The originals are color coded so the assembly line workers could install them correctly. You'll need a chassis manual for this job if you don't have one. I think 1967 is available on CD but don't know if the color-coded wiring and vacuum charts are still in color on those.

Good luck.
Old June 26th, 2011, 02:48 AM

Hi guys!
Here is an update after some time.

I ordered a carb rebuild kit and rebuilt the carb with all gaskets and cleaned it in an ultrasonic bath. I assembled the carb on the car and the cold car started right up. The cold start is perfect. But there is a new problem now.
If you accelerate very slow the engine accelerates good, but if you kick the gas pedal fast the engine stops and it seems that there is not enough gas injected. What yould this be?

First I thought I made a mistake and maybe a bore or injector is blocked but I disassembled the carb 3 more times and found nothing. The last try yesterday evening was to put in the old part looking like a pump back into the carb. I realized the the new "pump" from the kit is a little bit bigger in the diameter on the bottom than the old installed one. I put in the old one and while pumping the pedal it seems that gas is injected now. The problem is better if you kick the pedal faster but it is still there and if you kick the pedal fast, the engine stops.

I am confused about this and there is nobody around me in Germany who is familiar with "old American Carb". So I hope on your help.

Thanks a lot!

Ben