General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Starter recommendations - Olds 455

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2019, 06:24 AM
delete

Starter recommendations - Olds 455

My starter on my 70 442 455 w stock manifolds is showing signs of going bad. It currently has a Summit High Torque, but a full bodied one. Not the mini they sell now. Looking for recommendations for a good replacement. Since I don't have headers clearance isn't really an issue.

Thx
Old May 1st, 2019, 12:46 PM

I have a Powermaster, stock style,HD, works great, and I have headers.
Old May 1st, 2019, 01:00 PM
delete

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I have a Powermaster, stock style,HD, works great, and I have headers.
Thanks. A lot of people are saying Power Master. I was looking at that one.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 05:11 AM

I have an original high torque starter re-built by Bowen Auto in Floral Park. In 3 years never had an issue and they've re-built other components for me that are still going as well. I may have another I kept as a spare. I'll take a look later and re-post if I do. Bobby also had made a low torque into a high torque with the Oldsmobile bolt hole for the bracket in the correct place and asked if I'd be interested. Through the years I was able to find 2 of the original high torques with the bolt hole, so I passed. He may still have it and I think it was about $70. If your interested give them a call 516-354-4297. If he doesn't have that one I'll bet he has another high torque without the hole. He's a car guy like us, although a Chevy guy and he's a straight shooter. When you call you're most likely going to get his son. Tell Bobby Sr. Mike "Oldsmobile" told you about the starter if he can't remember.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:24 AM
delete

Originally Posted by zeeke
I have an original high torque starter re-built by Bowen Auto in Floral Park. In 3 years never had an issue and they've re-built other components for me that are still going as well. I may have another I kept as a spare. I'll take a look later and re-post if I do. Bobby also had made a low torque into a high torque with the Oldsmobile bolt hole for the bracket in the correct place and asked if I'd be interested. Through the years I was able to find 2 of the original high torques with the bolt hole, so I passed. He may still have it and I think it was about $70. If your interested give them a call 516-354-4297. If he doesn't have that one I'll bet he has another high torque without the hole. He's a car guy like us, although a Chevy guy and he's a straight shooter. When you call you're most likely going to get his son. Tell Bobby Sr. Mike "Oldsmobile" told you about the starter if he can't remember.
Will do Thanks