General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Stampings on Service Engine Blocks

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2015, 05:22 PM

Stampings on Service Engine Blocks

In the past I've seen some people post questions about odd VIN derivative stampings on their engine blocks. And I've see a lot of speculation about what they mean. I don't have any personal knowledge about this, but I wanted to share something I found posted over at the Camero Research Group's website:

Service Engine and Transmission Coding

Quoting from the Chevrolet Dealer Service Information Bulletin, 69-I-1, dated 19 Sept, 1968:

The following system will be used to identify service engine and transmission assemblies* including replacement parts. Manufacturing plants will number each assembly as it is produce. The first letter will designate the GM division which produced the engine.
C-Chevrolet
L-Oldsmobile
K-Cadillac
B-Buick
P-Pontiac

The second letter will designate the type of unit "E" engine or "T" transmission. The number following the letter will designate the model year "9" for 1969. The last five digits specify the service replacement unit sequence number. The group of numbers to be used by Chevrolet manufacturing plants are as follows:

Engines:
Flint Motor Plant (L6 Engines)....00001 to 19999
.............................................80001 to 89999
Flint V8 Engine Plant................20000 to 49999
Tonawanda Motor Plant............50000 to 79999

Example: Number CE900175 designates Chevrolet engine - 1969 year, and the 175th unit produced for service at the Flint Motor Plant (L6).

Transmissions:
Cleveland Transmission Plant......00001 to 14999
Toledo Transmission Plant..........15000 to 24999
Saginaw Transmission Plant........25000 to 34999
Muncie Transmission Plant..........35000 to 44999

Hydra-Matic transmissions will be numbered with the letter "H" regardless of the G.M. Division using the transmission.

* This numbering system applies to service engine assemblies, partial engines, fitted cylinder cases, cylinder cases, transmission assemblies and transmission cases.
Old March 19th, 2015, 07:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by BlackGold
In the past I've seen some people post questions about odd VIN derivative stampings on their engine blocks. And I've see a lot of speculation about what they mean. I don't have any personal knowledge about this, but I wanted to share something I found posted over at the Camero Research Group's website:
Brian,

Very cool info, but is this referring to the VIN derivative stamp or the engine unit number stamp? Per federal law, a replacement block was supposed to have the VIN derivative restamped on the new block (for 1968-newer). Of course, this was often not done.

By the way, it's spelled CamAro.
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Brian,
Very cool info, but is this referring to the VIN derivative stamp or the engine unit number stamp? Per federal law, a replacement block was supposed to have the VIN derivative restamped on the new block (for 1968-newer). Of course, this was often not done...
I think this is in reference to an earlier thread (searched, but couldn't find) where blocks had been found that had cryptic VIN pad stampings like "LE20562" instead of the expected VIN derivative.
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:50 PM

Joe, I assume they're talking about stamping it on the same pad as the VIN derivative, but I really don't know. If my memory is correct, several people who have posted about their replacement blocks have said the first character is "L", which would be consistent with what CRG said for Oldsmobile. I don't recall anyone talking about odd stampings on their oil fill tube.

Then again, my memory is obviously not that good. I ALWAYS seem to misspell Camaro.
Old March 19th, 2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by BlackGold
Then again, my memory is obviously not that good. I ALWAYS seem to misspell Camaro.
you mean, "Camera" ?
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
you mean, "Camera" ?
Hey, you could get a second job as an AutoCorrect.

- Eric
Old March 20th, 2015, 07:02 PM

I can do better than Siri

"Siri, is there any **** on the internet"

"I can't find anything on the internet for '****' "

*sigh*