General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Spouse drive your car?

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM

Spouse drive your car?

Seems every time my wife drives the 55 people stop and ask if I let her drive all the time... or how special it is that I allowed her to take the wheel going to a show. She can drive it when ever she wants, seldom does but the keys are in it for her as well for me. Fact is most of the time I would rather ride the right hand side and watch the world as it passes by. Just wondering does your spouse (significant other) drive your car?....Tedd
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM

My super Model drives my 69 Vista some times and will jump in the 69 drop top any time I'm not looking. I think she likes the high fives she gets.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:48 PM

When I was married, I didn't like my her driving my car.

Just something about going 60 in a 25, and the car in front of us is at a dead stop and she isn't stopping, then jams on the brakes, yeah left a really bad taste in my mouth
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM

my wife drives my car not often but I as well enjoy the occasional opportunity to view things from the driver side - the other day I was in the back seat - I really enjoyed that
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Cutlass Lover

Nope! Teepo is all mine, lol. Larry doesn't even want to drive her. He's afraid of me if he so much as puts a fingerprint on her, lol. What irritates me is, at the shows and cruise in's, I get asked "Is this your car or your husband's?" all the time, like, what am I doing with it!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I fixed my girlfriends k5 blazer and painted it put a lift on it and 35's and oh she does off road in it btw. when ever we are riding in it she gets it all the time is that your boy friends. she smiles and say's no does your wife know you are out with her car. She drove my 72 cutlass once and was terrified after 4 blocks she said enough i can handle the manual steering , weak brakes and touchy accelerator pedal and not to mention she couldn't shift the manual th400 and figure out the trigger shifter. After that she never asked to drive it again lol.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:58 PM

i have went out of my way to set the Rallye 350 up for my wife to be able to drive it. now that she can drive it i think we will be getting a 62 cutlass in the near future for her. when we were dating i had her drive my 16,000 mile W-30 to a car show and i drove the Rallye 350. she went from an 83 Delta 88 that was completely wore out to a 72 W-30, she had a smile a mile wide when we got to the show.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:19 PM

No, No, No! Not Yet!
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM
NOVICE car nut

my wife DONT want to drive mine ! actually I dont want her to drive it until it becomes a safer vehicle , for one she probably wont be able to get it started , and then she wont be able to control it ..... the brakes are good though
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:33 PM

Get a spouse/significant other that can't drive a 4-speed...problem solved...won't even come up as a topic...

Was that evil to say out loud?
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Registered Thread Killer

My wife would take my big cammed '70 only if I blocked her car in the driveway. Once she took the kids to the grocery store and was followed closely by a couple of guys in a Nova. When she arrived at her destination, as she was getting the kids out of the Cutlass, they drove by her slowly and one of them uttered "Man,..what a waste".
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Not often but she does.

Originally Posted by chrisneu68olds
Get a spouse/significant other that can't drive a 4-speed...problem solved...won't even come up as a topic...

Was that evil to say out loud?

Her car is a manuel trans. Had all sorts of salespeople try and sell her an automatic. In fact the cutlass is the only car we have with an auto.

Larry
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Not often but she does.

Her car is a manuel trans. Had all sorts of salespeople try and sell her an automatic. In fact the cutlass is the only car we have with an auto.

Larry
same for me she will drive it every now and then usually I ask her to, shes had some mustang GTs in her past so shes not afraid to "drive" it

my 72 is the only auto trans in the house too
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
No, No, No! Not Yet!

X2. Never
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:31 PM

My wife has a 2000 Z28 with a 6-speed she bought brand new. She can drive whatever she likes around here. Even drove my old 79 F150 with a grannie low 4 speed to get flowers one time.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:56 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Once years ago(when we were dating) my Wife almost drove one of my 72's into a tall curb while cutting a turn to short. I freaked out and had a fit. Now she has no interest in driving one of my classics.

The arrangement seems to be working,we've been married almost 18 years now
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:21 PM
1974 DELTA 88

My wife drove my Delta a couple of times. Once when I was thinking of buying it and once home from Safeway. When we met she had a 78 Nova so it wasn't too foreign.

I was more concerned when I let her drive my Toyota out in the woods years ago on some rough road. That had me on the edge of my seat a little.

Last edited by AZ455; November 23rd, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:25 PM

I wouldn't mind if she wanted to drive mine as she's a good driver but it takes both feet for her to push the clutch in on my 70 442 so it's a lot of work for her so she has no interest in driving it. However, she does like cars so we got her a 78 Trans am 400 auto with t-tops. That said, she has only driven it a few times. She just prefers to ride.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by jaybird
no, no, no! Not yet!
x3 never never
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:58 AM

Occasionally but definately under duress. She used to say, "why don't you want me driving it,...it's JUST a car." I would say, "that's EXACTLY why, because you treat it like it's JUST a car!".
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Any time she wants . The lemans we have is a running joke when we talk to people I always from day one said it was for her . when asked why i say thats so i can get myself a car when it come's along but with no power steering and brakes and what she say's a mile long hood ( funny she drives a tahoe ) it too big. One day at a show she see's a 66 GTO and say's now I would drive that I smiled and said it's the same car but she was dead set that it was shorter . Im more scared when my boy's get to the "Dad can I take the H/o " ? I have already told them it better be for a date with the prom Queen I also tell them "There aint to many them around so people will who is the kid jacking around and let me know ".
Old November 24th, 2011, 06:46 AM
"me somebody" site member

My wife and I are co-owners of our '67 442 4 speed vert. She drives it all the time, accompanying me (in the '65 J1) to shows and takes it on small trips as well (to get her hair done, etc). The double takes she gets are classic. I bet she drives stick better than most guys THINK they do.
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:28 AM

In a convertible you hear all kinds of conversions that you don't hear in a hard top windows down or not.Not long ago as we entered a car show two ladies were heard to say " Why, he has let her drive his car again, Jim has never let me sit on the drivers side except to bleed the brakes. Too bad they could have shared many fun experiences together,also makes buying new parts a joint venture....Tedd
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:55 AM

What about pushing my 442?
When we were dating, a battery cable came loose stopping the engine.
Not being able to turn into the immediate driveway, she pushed the car while I steered.
It happened once and it will NEVER EVER happen again.
Yes, she does remember.
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:00 AM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
Yeah ..Sure ..Uh Huh......Right ..OK.. No ...We dont let that Happen...Absolutley NO..
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:18 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Of course Linda drives my car anytime she wants.

She drives a cab for a living and prefers to relish being a passenger most times.

There are a lot of men I won't let near my car, but only a few women.

Ask any insurance company which gender has fewer accidents, and it's reflected in the premiums they charge.

Roger.
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:40 AM

Mine has driven both of mine. She was hesitant to drive the Delta because "it's a worn out old hooptie." Shortly after she said "not at all what I expected, it rides beautifully and handles very well." She then went on to say that she likes it more than the 2008 Explorer she has now. Before that she had a 2001 Mustang GT 5-spd but from day one, she's always liked the Bullitt.
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Yep with video prove.......lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mMenPFVILw
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Runner

My car needs a lot of work so I let her drive it once. ;-)
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
Occasionally but definately under duress. She used to say, "why don't you want me driving it,...it's JUST a car." I would say, "that's EXACTLY why, because you treat it like it's JUST a car!".
Ugh...."JUST a car" I'm sorry...I..I...just can't.

It is not a gender issue, there are some guys out there who look at a car as just a tool to get from point a to point b and nothing more. That is how I feel about my daily driver ('03 Civic), I mean I do like the Honda (have had 4 of them in 20+ years), LOVE the MPG, not exciting, not fast, not even really sexy, but it gets the job done. But a classic car? A classic Olds? A classic anything?? Especially restored?? Just a car???

I'm sorry...I..I...just can't.
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Mak

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Just wondering does your spouse (significant other) drive your car?
She can drive it anytime she want's... but never has yet!
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Mine can drive it anytime she wants!! Btw she prefers a manual trans over an auto!! She aint afraid to get dirty either!!
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM

The Hurst Olds is mine. I used to have a license plate bracket that read "If a man is driving, call the COPS!" John only drives it when he is working on it.

He has a 1957 Plymouth Fury (Christine) that is his car. She and I have a love/hate relationship. Sometimes she lets me drive her, and some times she won't.

We share a 1959 Dodge Crown Royal that is pink and white. I drive her when I want. As a matter of fact my sister and I are driving her to go shopping tomorrow. You can always find pink fins in a land of SUVs.
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Olds Nut

My wife can drive mys 442 but she prefer to drive her SX
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Registered car nut

I let my wife drive the Cutlass, no big deal. Once its painted and nice she wont want too. Afraid she'll mess something up. She is anxiously awaiting her V8 Volvo project to be done. To be her DD.
It'll blow away my Cutlass for sure. (for now)
Old November 25th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Registered Abuser

Depends on who has had less to drink.
Old November 27th, 2011, 07:20 AM

I don't have a wife, but my dad lets my mom drive to and from shows and really that's it. I used to let her borrow my car when hers broke, then I'd drive the cutlass. I have since gotten a stick truck and mom can't drive stick. She borrowed my cutlass for 1 day, most nerve racking day of my life. First, my mother DESTROYS cars, from maintenance to driving to making them pig sties. Also, she was always afraid to drive my dads t/a because its too fast, and my car is faster... Oh, and thankfully it was summer, or she'd have never gotten it started with no choke. Everything is fine, but Idk if I ever want to do that again. I am teaching her how to drive stick, successfully actually so she can abuse I mean drive my truck and I'll drive the cutlass.

Now my GF has driven many cars in my family and she can drive stick, but she doesn't have a license yet. She's on a permit. She's not bad, but before I have her driving the old cars, she'll just practice a bit more.
Old November 27th, 2011, 08:39 AM

OF COURSE Juju can drive CCRider (she did to the OCA Nationals this year in Reno), and also the Silver Bullet; she likes the way it rides. The good thing is, occassionally, she lets me drive her '94 Cutlass Supreme convertible....................................... ..............................
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

She drove my Custom Cruiser once, and only because it was a semi-emergency (I had to take our Honda Odyssey in for service).

She has no intention of ever doing so again and is perfectly happy in our perfectly-functioning Honda. Sadly, she has no interest in driving--or even being seen in--anything I'd call "interesting."

[Then again, my "WYDLOAD" license plate probably doesn't help matters...]
Old November 27th, 2011, 12:33 PM

I had a 77 Cutlass Supreme at that time and my wife need a car to go to work so i let her drive it. I told her the car needs gas so i gave her some money to fill it up. She drove up to the gas pumps but drove a bit too far and away so the gas attendant told her to back and come a little closer. As she turn the wheel to get closer, she turn too early and hit the pole that protects the pumps with the passenger side fender, leaving a nice buckle since it was pushed in. She never told me about this until i wanted to wash the car and seen the fender. I told my wife about the fender and she has the nerve to say, "i didnt think you will make a big deal about this". Now i know why husbands kills wives.

Quick Reply: Spouse drive your car?