General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Speedo cable and sheathing help needed - '70 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2019, 11:00 AM

Speedo cable and sheathing help needed - '70 Cutlass

I got a replacement speedo cable from Inline/Motorcity as it advertised being "correct" with the cable and the added sheathing on the outside. Their photos show this pretty clearly. However what I got was a cable and a length of rubber hose. There is no way to install this hose over the cable without removing one of the press fit cable ends. I've been waiting quite some time for a response from Inline, but I'm to the point where I need to get this installed. Should I just slice the tubing and install the cable, taping or caulking the tubing shut, or is there a way to remove and replace the cable end such that I can slide the cable into the hose as it was supposed to be in the first place?

Old May 10th, 2019, 11:40 AM

How about vasoline on the small end gently pulling it through?
Just an idea.
Alain
Old May 10th, 2019, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by alain
How about vasoline on the small end gently pulling it through?
Just an idea.
Alain
I should have taken a pic of the hose I.D. and the smaller end that clips to the speedo back. They're way different in size, and for the 3 feet of length, there's no way to squeeze it through. One end of the cab;e has to come off to keep the hose in one solid piece... This reminds me of the Mad Magazine "ship model kit" that was a block of wood and a knife - "carve away everything that doesn't look like the ship picture"... They took a picture of one that was made that way - maybe some instructions from them would help. I suppose it's possible that I'm supposed to split the hose the full length and tape it back together. But if that were the case, I would have bought the $10 cable and a $2 piece of rubber hose to do it. I paid extra to get the part they advertised and pictured....
Old May 10th, 2019, 12:00 PM

Ok slice the hose about 2 to 3 inch vasoline and twist and turn and pull maybe.
No more ideas after this.
Alain
Old May 10th, 2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by alain
Ok slice the hose about 2 to 3 inch vasoline and twist and turn and pull maybe.
No more ideas after this.
Alain
I'll stare at it for a while when I get home this evening and see if it looks remotely possible ))
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Administrator

From the picture it looks like you slit the hose open on one side, slip the cable in the slit and use electrical tape to close the gap in spots.
Old May 10th, 2019, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
From the picture it looks like you slit the hose open on one side, slip the cable in the slit and use electrical tape to close the gap in spots.
Yeah, I see what you're seeing. I'm feeling worse about this purchase as the hours go by lol. OK, I'm going with that - not a lot else I can do. They didn't send me any lube, either, so I'll have to go find that tomorrow before this goes in. I'll get out the assembly manual as well and see what I can see. Thanks
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:09 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by BSiegPaint
...I've been waiting quite some time for a response from Inline...
Bob, I've only bought directly from Inline, and every order seemed to have some kind of problem.

To their credit, they always answered the phone and eventually worked out the problems. Try calling again.
Old May 14th, 2019, 01:02 PM

Follow-up - they DID get back to me and let me know that oldcutlass was right - the hose has to be slit the full length and the cable inserted inside, taping it closed. They also told me that the missing cable lube (shown in their picture/auction) wasn't supplied anymore, and they were "changing their picture". Ah. Seems like you should change your price since I paid for lube you didn't deliver...