General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Speed o dash lights intermiddent

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2018, 01:17 PM

Speed o dash lights intermiddent

The other night I had my 442 out and the speed-o lite only was out. Today I wanted to check it out. I removed the steering wheel , the drivers seat and disconnected my HEI distributor. I then reconnected the battery and low and behold the speed-o light is now own with the dash lights own.
My thought was that 1 or more bulbs were loose in the speed-o housing.
My question to you guys is: will 1 (or more) bulbs loose in the speed o housing cause my issue ? If not a bulb loose, what else can cause me to loose speed-o only lights, all other dash lights work as they are suppose to.
I'm an old fart so I don't want to be under the dash any more than necessary and I want to put things back together as soon as I can. It's driving time!
Thanks
Old April 24th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Administrator

If it was just your speedometer lights that are intermittent, but all the other lights work I would say you have a loose connection there.
Old April 24th, 2018, 04:42 PM

Thanks Eric for your reply
I have suspected a bad connection but I don't really know where to look for the bad connection.
Could a single bulb in the speed-o housing being loose in the housing(not making good contact) cause all bulbs in the housing to go out or is it most likely an actual wiring issue.
I haven't been back under my dash yet but as I remember, there are 4 bulbs in the speed-o housing. What I do remember is that the bulbs are a real bitch to get to.
As I stated the lights are currently illuminated when switched on with No corrective action as of yet other than I removed the steering wheel (I want to re-clock it) and I removed the Dr. seat for convenience.

Last edited by My2nd 69 442; April 24th, 2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old April 24th, 2018, 06:19 PM

One bad or loose bulb would not cause all the bulbs to not illuminate. They are all separate circuits on the back of the speedo. My guess is you have a loose or broken pin on the circuit board that the black plastic harmonica connector attaches to. It's not going to be real fun or easy to get that out to check but if you do take it out I can restore and repair any of the gauges in your dash.
Old April 24th, 2018, 06:31 PM

^^^^ What he wrote!!!
Old April 24th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Administrator

X3, Take a look at this link:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...uit-board.html
Old April 24th, 2018, 06:49 PM

I messed with it for a little while this evening. I appears that I one bulb (lower left) that is currently out. I shooked the crap out of all the harnesses that I could reach. I may lower the steering column tomorrow to see if that will give me a little more access to that bulb and see if I can get it working.
My dash does have a dash cap on it so the gauges are a real pain to remove.
I may have to start carrying a flashlight for night driving or else drive pedal to the metal and let the cops chase me