General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Spectra Chrome

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2019 | 10:05 AM

Spectra Chrome

Does anyone know anything about the durability of this product, or any of the spray on chrome stuff. Specifically if it is used on interior parts. Was thinking about the chrome on the 66-67 Cutlass dash plastic parts. Would it last or go away ?
Old August 12th, 2019 | 11:20 AM

The plastic parts used in the interior were vacuum metalized. I guess you can have it redone if you're doing a concurs restoration. I found this place with a quick Google search:

https://muellercorp.com/chrome-plastics-restoration/

Eastwood also sells spray paints and powder coating materials to apply a chrome like finish to plastic parts. It's close to chrome but you can tell the difference.
Old August 12th, 2019 | 07:29 PM

I know all about the various methods and paints used in the original manufacturing processes. Powder coating won't work because of the high temp required to cure it. Plastic would melt away at those temps. I was inquireing about the durability of the spray on coatings. When these processes were first used, no one knew how long they would last or if the shine would go away or ?? Are they any better now than when they first came out?
Old August 12th, 2019 | 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
I know all about the various methods and paints used in the original manufacturing processes. Powder coating won't work because of the high temp required to cure it. Plastic would melt away at those temps. I was inquireing about the durability of the spray on coatings. When these processes were first used, no one knew how long they would last or if the shine would go away or ?? Are they any better now than when they first came out?
After the “chrome” process clear them with your favorite automotive clear coat. And it will last a long time
Old August 13th, 2019 | 08:42 AM
Gearhead

I had the park lamp housings done on my ';62 Lincoln. They turned yellow after a couple of years. Don't know if they were clear coated, though.
Old August 14th, 2019 | 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Does anyone know anything about the durability of this product, or any of the spray on chrome stuff. Specifically if it is used on interior parts. Was thinking about the chrome on the 66-67 Cutlass dash plastic parts. Would it last or go away ?
I visited there shop if Florida a few months back. The process would make it much more durable than a spray can chrome. They said they have dealers all over the country.