General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2021, 01:22 PM

Speakers

My delta 88 only has the two front speakers in it wich are. Not to well and the rear deck speakers are missing. I am looking into it replacing all of them but wondering if 4 speakers will be enough to get a decent sound or if I should add one for each door any brand Recommendations? Thanks.

Old May 14th, 2021, 01:26 PM
Administrator

The type of speaker depends on whether your using a stock radio or not. To answer your question, under most circumstances 4 speakers work fine, an aux amplifier with an aftermarket head is better.
Old May 14th, 2021, 01:27 PM

It all depends on you. Four quality speakers (and a stereo) should be enough to give you great sound. Now, if you are one of those people that want others to hear you coming 1/2 a mile away, go ahead and put 2 more in the doors.
Old May 14th, 2021, 02:28 PM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

Best option may be to keep it simple and upgrade the factory location speakers - level of upgrade dependent upon your head unit choice. If you're installing a new aftermarket stereo, get the best speakers (coaxial typically offers the greatest options) you can afford for each location (Crutchfield.com is great online audio vendor - free shipping and install accessories with every purchase)

I wouldn't cut the doors up except as a last resort if you can't replace the dash-mount speakers with something better and can't otherwise live with just 2 rear deck mounts.

watch your ohms - most aftermarket stereos require 4ohm speakers, using 3ohm speakers with those might cause problems

Alpine, Morel, Focal all good choices, after that, Kenwood, JBL also decent options

Last edited by 70sgeek; May 14th, 2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old May 14th, 2021, 05:07 PM
72Cutlass S

I put memphis audio speakers in my cutlass and they sound great. Still thinking about adding a sub woofer though.
Old May 14th, 2021, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The type of speaker depends on whether your using a stock radio or not. To answer your question, under most circumstances 4 speakers work fine, an aux amplifier with an aftermarket head is better.
Exactly what he just said.

Your car is very simple to put an aftermarket deck in. I can't remember if your rear deck has 6x9 or 4x10 speakers in it. 4x10's are just horrible sound wise. If you have 6x9 as a factory speaker size you are set. Even a small amp on a good set of 6x9's will blow you away. The trunk makes a great bass box.

On cutting your doors.. Careful. If your car has power windows locks etc there can be very little room to add a good speaker. Depth becomes a problem. The window mechanisms etc. I have seen fools put them in the rear of the doors. All the sound is either blocked or behind the front seats. Worthless.
My two cents.
Old May 15th, 2021, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Your car is very simple to put an aftermarket deck in. I can't remember if your rear deck has 6x9 or 4x10 speakers in it. 4x10's are just horrible sound wise. If you have 6x9 as a factory speaker size you are set. Even a small amp on a good set of 6x9's will blow you away. The trunk makes a great bass box.

On cutting your doors.. Careful. If your car has power windows locks etc there can be very little room to add a good speaker. Depth becomes a problem. The window mechanisms etc. I have seen fools put them in the rear of the doors. All the sound is either blocked or behind the front seats. Worthless.
My two cents.
X3! The speakers are ultimately what reproduces the sound for you so get the best speakers you can afford. Not the ones with the most bling, the best sounding ones. For full-range dash speakers, the best I have ever heard is the Kenwood dual-cone speakers. I think they were M/N 103 for the 3 1/2 inch and 104 for the 4 inch. They are some of the best sounding dash speakers you can get. For the rear 6X9s, stick with the brand names. Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, Jensen, etc. Just a speaker upgrade will make that old stereo sound a million times better but upgrading to a high power stereo will improve the sound that much more. Stereo shops still exist so go take a look and have them play some systems for you. Find what you like and build it as your budget allows. Speakers first, stereo second, and amplifier if you feel you still want more. After that you are entering the world of custom and that is where things get fun and expensive. BTW, there's nothing wrong with finding the stereo you like at the store and then buying it from Amazon or Ebay and installing it yourself to save some coin. There are plenty of videos on line to show you how.

Last edited by cjsdad; May 15th, 2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old May 15th, 2021, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by no1oldsfan
I have seen fools put them in the rear of the doors. All the sound is either blocked or behind the front seats. Worthless.
My two cents.
This! ^ You don't go to a concert and turn your back on the stage. If you have the option to put the speakers in the front, do so. Speakers in the rear dash of a car is just a necessary evil and must be accepted but speakers in the rear of the doors is the worst thing you can do for sound.
Old May 16th, 2021, 06:18 AM
RWK

I like the factory convertible set up, way ahead of there time, speaker points into trunk area!
I will be replacing these with some newer 6x9s, Have to bend the body metal at top upper inside to get the speaker to fit tho.
Any advice on fitting modern stereo in dash?
Old May 16th, 2021, 06:48 AM
'72 Cutlass ragtop

unless you plan on installing a retro-fit stereo into your dash (Custom Autosound, Retrosound, Antique Automobile Radio) , any modern head unit would require you to cut the dash opening to fit. Doesn't change your speaker options.

the general aftermarket head units are better quality and offer a broader range of functional options but once you cut your dash, you can practically never go back to factory-fit install.

Last edited by 70sgeek; May 16th, 2021 at 06:54 AM.
Old May 16th, 2021, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by RWK

I like the factory convertible set up, way ahead of there time, speaker points into trunk area!
I will be replacing these with some newer 6x9s, Have to bend the body metal at top upper inside to get the speaker to fit tho.
Any advice on fitting modern stereo in dash?
That was not my experience. Can’t hear anything with the top down as the folded top blocks the sound, and the seat back blocks the sound all the time. Bad design.

You will need a shaft mount radio. Either one of the newer retro units as posted above or an aftermarket unit from the 80s/90s (my car has a vintage Concord unit).
Old May 16th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Banned

You can buy a kit to install an aftermarket radio. If you take the time find an older shaft style radio. Custom auto sound are junk. Junk. You can tell just by the weight. So cheap. I would buy a twenty-thirty year old Kenwood/Alpine etc over that crap. If you are looking to make your stereo sound good do it right.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; May 16th, 2021 at 11:26 AM.