General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

And so it begins...

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Certifiable car addict...

And so it begins...

FINALLY After searching pretty much all of North America for the last year dilligently, and a 20 year on/off "keeping my eyes out for another one" search, I now have the car I wanted back in my driveway. Drove it home from only 30m away from my house. Go figure...

Still not sure if I'm going to try a full restoration, or just turn it into a driver, but at least now I'm finally in the position to begin making these decisions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
177e931c.jpg (67.1 KB, 46 views)
39beee08.jpg (74.1 KB, 49 views)
86f0901d.jpg (67.6 KB, 45 views)
709e9be2.jpg (83.8 KB, 52 views)
490983f0.jpg (54.2 KB, 53 views)
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:57 AM
delete

Congrats. Wow, buckets & console. I can see why it took 20 yrs. Try to figure out what you want to do with it long term. Financially, a full resto won't be worth it so it has to be worth it to you. Some paint & re-chroming and some matched tires will make it look awfully nice.
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM

I'm taking it down the street to my body guys after work today. It's got some issues, but nothing that can't be addresses. Bottoms of the rear quarters are pretty bad, and around the front & rear glass is as well, but it's straight, unrestored, and nary a dent in it anywhere, and no bondo. Original paint. Stopped by a buddy's place with it last night, and we took some McGuires to the hood, and it shined right up. If there weren't rust spots everywhere on it, I'd do the whole car. I'll have a better idea of what I'm going to do with it after I get the body guys to go over it.

Everything underneath is solid. Damn near everything works too. The AC was removed in the engine bay (comp & hoses) but everything else is still there.

The really interesting option is that it's got a motorola reverb unit attached to the original AM radio. Never seen one of those before, but the owner said it worked. I tried to get the radio to play, and it lights up, but that appears to be it right now. Haven't inspected the speaker to see if it's totally missing the cone at this point. I have some old oddball sares I can easily test with if needed.

Oh, and it runs, but a major tune-up is in order. Probably only hitting on 6 cylinders, and 2 barrels, but the trans shifts nice tight & solid. Brakes will need a thorough reworking too, and an alignment. Other than that, after I got it home, I had to run it over to a buddy's place, and we thrashed it around the back roads in the country for a while. Probably scared some livestock with the way the exhaust is so gone. :-)

Last edited by GTI_Guru; October 13th, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hangin' out...

Congrats! Beautiful car. Good luck, whatever you do with it.
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks! It's not nearly as beautiful up close as the pics make it look right now, but it's got a lot of potential, that's for sure.

Might even go ratrod with it in satin black after I get the bodywork done. All depends on how deep the cancer is. Thankfully, the floors trunk frame and gastank ar all in awesome driveable condition.

Never liked red cars much, but I may keep it the original color so I don't have to redo door jams, etc...