Saving a Starfire...Restoration project begins!

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2009, 11:43 PM

Saving a Starfire - Restoration project

I've been taking some time to try and save a Starfire recently. Not sure how it will all turn out one day but I had to start somewhere and I'm just looking to put together a hopefully reliable driver condition car to have some fun with and learn along the way.

A little background introduction is that I'm 26 and was introduced to classic cars at around
3-5 haha, when in the mid 80's when my father bought a 57 Ford Fairlane 500 Conv which he still owns to this day. Soon after that the Oldsmobiles came into our lives and a 62 Starfire Conv was purchased in need of resotration. My father began a frame off resto and 20 years later it's still continuing....though it had long delay in making progress on it when another project was aquired, a 63 Starfire coupe. That car is pictured below and was in my family 10+ years including the time we took restoring it. The photos were taken the day it was sold this past summer of 2008 after years of pleasure drives and cruise nights! We even attended the Oldsmobile 100th anniversary with it in Lansing.

100_2202.jpg?t=1231568735
100_2203.jpg?t=1231568891
100_2204.jpg?t=1231568923

Its been sad to see that car go but too many cars, you can only drive/repair one at a time... and it's time to finish the original project that was undertaken, we've recetly began getting under way again on my fathers 62. Ofcourse to restore 1 of these cars, parts/project cars come in handy and two 62's and three 63's were aquired by my father over the years that would fall into that category. These aquired cars are how I've come into getting my attempt to save a Starfire.

After the restored coupe was sold this summer we began looking at what to do with the remaining canadian 63 Stafire Conv & coupe stored indoors for 30+ years to our knowledge, that were aquired as parts/project cars. The coupe being a complete solid western canadian car and the conv having potential but not near as solid in the floor boards and some frame areas! But thats almost okay as years ago my father picked up a 63 Super 88 for parts, and we stripped it of a running motor/tranny, doors, floor board, trunk floor, trunk lid, hood and whatever was worthwhile. So after some persuasive convincing my father that theres enough 63 stuff kicking around to maybe make another okay one, and that I should take on a 63 for myself.. since he's got enough work ahead of him anyway with his 62 Olds & 57 Ford... he agreed to let me give it a try!

I choose to tackle trying to save this 63 conv and thought I'd start a post to share the little accomplishments I'm making so far. I don't expect to get this done quickly or to have it be as detailed or calibre of a Starfire that the coupe we just sold or the 62 conv of my fathers is or will be, I'm just using this as a learning tool and hopefully will make something interesting out of it that I enjoy driving one day in whatever year that might eventually be!

Enough introduction though and on with the photos. I began inspecting/tearing into this sometime around Aug/Sep 2008. I've started with trying to make this starfire conv more solid by tearing the floor out of it and replacing it with the spare super 88 floors that we're much more solid and only requiring minimal patches in comparison to the usless floor that was in it.

After stripping the interior showing holes and weakness everywhere
Start.jpg?t=1231568548

After cutting out the floors
100_2289.jpg?t=1231569637

Cut out some rust, notice previous patches done years ago in both corners
RearPanCut.jpg?t=1231569822

Patch Panels
Rearpanfix.jpg?t=1231570061

A little frame work
100_2317.jpg?t=1231570390

DriversFramePatched5.jpg?t=1231570477

Framepatch.jpg?t=1231570183

PasFramePatched3.jpg?t=1231570275

When the 88 floor went in the Starfire. Before patches and bucket seat brackets
FloorIn.jpg?t=1231570591

Some patches, bucket seat and console brackets reloacted.. as it was a bench seat floor.
100_2376.jpg?t=1231570922

ANNNND done... primered to protect and clean it up..just ran short of primer by a bit!
100_2436.jpg?t=1231571352

100_2437.jpg?t=1231571426

Before & After cleaning carpets...
CarpetBeforeAfter.jpg?t=1231571887
CarpetAfter.jpg?t=1231571953

Thats it for now. At this link you can see many more photos of this I uploaded http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/i...arfire%20Conv/

I'm onto looking into the trunk floor now..... its in better shape (no holes) but weak underneath where gas tank straps mount or brace to it. I believe I'll be cutting the whole trunk floor out and using the better floor here from the Super 88 as well...so I might update when furthur into that! A little long winded but hopefully this has been interesting to some!

Last edited by 62Starfire63; February 9th, 2014 at 12:58 PM.
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Loose Radical

Impressive and inspirational! Keep up the great work and posts.
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:46 AM
car guy

nice work

are you torch welding or mig welding? Its hard to tell from the far away pics. Keep us updated.
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:52 AM

Welcome to the site. Nice workmanship on the floor. looks like a fun project in which you will learn a lot. Bet you dad is proud of you taking on such a project. keep the pictures comming we love pictures it helps inspire the rest of us to get going on our projects
Old January 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM

Wink Restoration

Great job next one I drag home can I drop it off at your place first? (b 4 the wife sees it!}
Old January 10th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Registered Luser

Thumbs up

Beautiful job, keep it going! It's always good to see another OLDS resurrected!
Old January 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM

WOW...nice work!

What did you use on the carpets? What ever it was it worked big difference.
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the kind comments so far, when I have something of more interest done I'll continue some updates if and when time allows.

Originally Posted by gearheads78
nice work

are you torch welding or mig welding? Its hard to tell from the far away pics. Keep us updated.
It's all been mig welding, and not always to the strongest of new metal either. Doing the best I can to have clean surfaces. It's another thing I'm playing with, changing settings, trying different techniques and learning along the way. I'm far from a professional welder, just trying to hold it together. I've had moments of beautiful welds, other times fighting with it a bit, but I'm confident the final welds are strong enough and doing their job. The patches are all lap welded...only the frame patches I attempted to butt weld and will undercoat the undercar/frame at a later date to cover/protect it all. Not all the welds might be that pretty but closer photos might show some welds better at http://s551.photobucket.com/albums/i...arfire%20Conv/ if this link works.

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
WOW...nice work!

What did you use on the carpets? What ever it was it worked big difference.
The carpets I steam cleaned with a bissel probably 3-5 times each. Soaked the heck outta them. Used laurndry stain remover and a scrub brush in places. Let them dry out and repeated....once all dry, I vacuumed sealed them into garbage bags and stored them away. I'll probably bissel clean them again before they ever go back in the car 1 or 2 more times.

Last edited by 62Starfire63; January 11th, 2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM

very nice work, and please keep the pics coming!! like citcapp says it inspires the rest of us!!
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:10 AM

im so impressed..hope I can see more pics of this amazing oldsmobile parts customization..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; August 24th, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:24 AM

Great job so far!
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:39 PM

AWESOME WORK!!
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:13 PM

very nice worklooks like a ton of work ahead but you are doing a very nice jobkeep the pics comming!
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the replies...it's been awhile since I've updated. Lots more photos have been taken but I got into working on a bunch of places at once and haven't finished any of them yet I've been working 50-60 hours a week all summer so little time left over to work on the Starfire! When I get a section or two complete I'll get some more photos up..

The trunk floor is out, and another one is cut/sized all ready to be dropped back in for 2-3 months now... but with it out I got into other areas at the rear of the car that were easy to work on with it out of the way. Rebuilt the inner rear wheel wells on one side , the other I've started into as of lastnight. Inner quater panel or trunk floor extensions I've made new pieces for... frame is all done being repaired... just hoping to get some paint on underneath the car and take some more photos once I get closer to dropping the trunk floor back in!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:36 PM

I am learning MIG welding to and it's not as easy as some may believe. I recently took a welding class; sure I got the hang of it sitting on a bench in A/C in a shop. The reality is it's quite different when you are on the ground reaching up and trying to weld a wheelhoiuse in! You can't get your head up inside there with your mask! My first several attempts are a mess thank god for seam sealer!!! Also question: I am using .030 wire. But I was looking at a Hot Rod Build Your Dream Car video and he was using .024 wire for 18 gauge floors and trunks? What are you using?IMG_0090.jpg
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
Also question: I am using .030 wire. But I was looking at a Hot Rod Build Your Dream Car video and he was using .024 wire for 18 gauge floors and trunks? What are you using?
rob, are you using flux wire or sheilding gas? I used a cheapo craftsman mig with flux wire for the floor pan repairs, and used 30 wire, but when I do the body repairs I will borrow a decent Mig and using gas, if your using flux wire make sure you clean all the welds good, I have never tig welded but if I had everything to do over I would probably have learned and tried that LOL.... anyway I think the thinner wire would be better for body etc as there will be less heat and thus less distortion, not an expert but that is what is goin on in my mind and why I will borrow a decent gas shielded welder for the quarter repairs.
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:42 PM

Its been a long long time since an update with photos. So heres a whole bunch! I've been taking them...and had 4 times as many as I've posted but it just takes extra time to upload and organize them, but I've finally got a chance to get that done, so heres too many photos showing a few more of little accomplishments I've made with the car.

Cutting the trunk floor out.
1.jpg

Marking & cutting the replacement trunk floor to fit in.
3.jpg

The trunk floor all ready to drop back in eventually.
5.jpg

Example of one of the few patches I had put in the frame towards the rear
9.jpg

Welded up and ground down.
11.jpg

Frame Repair again...
15.jpg

The wheel well area before
18.jpg

Inside box corner of wheel well/qarter panel before
21.jpg

Photo showing example of the inner wheel well lips before
23.jpg

Example of one the inner wheel well flanges I made up and welded in all the way around the wheel wells. I had to make them in 3 pieces each side to get around the curves. Very hard place to work and weld in. I was able to spot weld them to the outer quarter panel since somebody years ago seems to have rebuilt/shaped/formed the outer quarter wheel well flanges and lower quarter panel sections which I was able to just sand down and found them to be solid and salvageable.
25.jpg

Example of the rear wheel well flanges straightened out and cleaned up
19.jpg

Then I got into replacing trunk floor extention/inner quarter panel areas that need some attention. After I cut out the rotten crap..
41.jpg

Knocked a panel around until i got it to fit the hole I made. and clamped it
43.jpg

The rear end cleaned up a bit 55.jpg

Last edited by 62Starfire63; November 23rd, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old November 14th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Some NOS Delco rear shocks I got off ebay for the car never opened.
51.jpg

So heres some of the AFTER photos....

The inner wheel well and flange repaied / painted.
27.jpg

47.jpg

Rear end with all new brake lines made up & one of the shocks just set in.
57.jpg

61.jpg

Rear Brakes all replaced and new wheel cylinders and spring kit.
33.jpg

Pic of brakes and frame painted. Frame I painted all the way to the firewall

39.jpg

And FINALLY.... the trunk floor area all cleaned up and ready to put the trunk floor back into place, which I actually did tonight. The trunk floor is now back into the car I just have to trim the braces from underneath to get it to drop in flush which I will likely do tomorrow and get started on welding it in this week, followed by some seam sealer and some paint!

63.jpg

Sorry for being so many photos. It's been 8 or more months I think since I updated!

Last edited by 62Starfire63; January 21st, 2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old November 17th, 2009, 02:33 AM

Thumbs up Tedious

Nice work Brad, keep at it and you will be blowing your hair around in the wind next summer if you let it grow out
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:00 PM

Picture228.jpg

Picture240.jpg
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM

Progress is good and it looks like you are making it. Keep the pictures comming
Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM

Exclamation carpet?

Nice paint but where's the Carpet??
Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:42 AM

I changed to .024 wire and tip and it seems to be working better with the pans. I will post soem pics this month, thanks
Old January 2nd, 2010, 03:35 PM

Wired !!!

I changed to .024 wire and tip and it seems to be working better with the pans. I will post soem pics this month, thanks
He's been using .023 wire throughout the build because it's been my Mig Welder he's using !!

Thanx for the thought....
Old January 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM

Welding-CORRECTLY-is a big challenge for me. I have learned already that trying to weld when your reaching up to the job, bending over trying to balancing yourself or laying on your back and welding upside down, there is a big difference than sitting on a bench in a shop and welding. I am not a perfectionist but I truly believe in doing it right the FIRST TIME and even though some of the welds you will never see, I know what's under the carpet etc. And then you have to factor in; did I use enough heat for complete penetration? will the job hold up under extreme driving conditions and enviromental stress cycles? Will the weld areas start to leak and begin to rust? Did I completely clean the part and prime it properly before welding? Is the the two pieces I am welding set properly-no gaps?- lap welding. Before this 64 F-85 "post" project I never touched a welder in my life. I now own all new welding equipment-to give you guys an idea how commmitted I am to build this Olds right. This buggy will be much safer, stronger built and ALOT faster than the factory ever built or even imagined back in 64......
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:51 PM

Arrow We can make it stronger and faster

This buggy will be much safer, stronger built and ALOT faster than the factory ever built or even imagined back in 64......
I'm glad to see that you have this commitment because Lee Majors of "SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN" would be proud !!!!
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by chequenman
Nice paint but where's the Carpet??
Forget the carpet, how about a motor & tires?? It'll just get worse gas milage weighing it down with carpets, but if you do find or have some trunk carpet let me know

As "chequenman" who happens to my father has mentioned, I was using the .023" wire in his mig welder for the work I was doing. Works REAL nice if your using all new metal but welding to some of the original material as well as you cut/clean it got pretty dicey in certain areas but for the most part was really good.

Getting little things done here and there, thought I'd update with a few photos of getting the gas tank all fixed up. I'll be running the fuel lines up front this week and tackling running brake line from the rear to the front as well.

Picture244.jpg

Picture246.jpg

Picture253.jpg

Picture255.jpg

Picture259.jpg

Picture326.jpg

Picture331.jpg
Old January 15th, 2010, 08:35 PM

Arrow Movin' on Up !!!

Hey; Don't ya think it's about time ya got started workin' up near the front... I think it's startin' to feel neglected !!!
Old January 17th, 2010, 07:03 AM

Here is a few shots of the "64 Post" granny car.trunk.jpgfrontseat.jpg
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:06 AM

I guess it's time to get the Seats out so you can tackle the problems in the Floor Pans !!!
Old January 17th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Gee dad why don't you jump in and give him a hand
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up Hand

Originally Posted by citcapp
Gee dad why don't you jump in and give him a hand

WELL CITCAPP; I'ld give him a hand if his car was'nt in the unheated part of my building and in the heated side resides my Starfire Conv. where I'm still trying to complete my Frame Off. I still give guidance on any questions he has but me and COLD Temperatures just don't get along like they use to
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:25 PM

Here is a few shots of the "64 Post" granny car.
Nice looking project...I see you have the same kind of flinstone floorpans I started with. Glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to try and save a car this far gone, doing trunk and interior floorpans!! haha. Good luck finishing up the trunk and getting the seats out to do the interior pans.

Originally Posted by chequenman
Hey; Don't ya think it's about time ya got started workin' up near the front... I think it's startin' to feel neglected !!!
I'm getting there, I'm getting there. Working 50-60 hour weeks isn't helping. But lets not get into how many years a certain 62 Starfire convertible has been missing it's chassis. You got heat on your side of the shop and I beleive your conv is dying to be reunited with it's other half.
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:38 PM

Thumbs up re; reuniting ???

l'm getting there, I'm getting there. Working 50-60 hour weeks isn't helping. But lets not get into how many years a certain 62 Starfire convertible has been missing it's chassis. You got heat on your side of the shop and I believe your conv is dying to be reunited with it's other half.[/quote]

Reuniting is one thing but not forgetting to have everything in place before she comes crashing down onto the Frame is another !!!
Old January 18th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Hey I can use a hand or two, it's 70 hear today
Old January 21st, 2010, 06:39 AM

That tank sure turned out nice. Is that just paint?
Pat
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by KQQLCAT
That tank sure turned out nice. Is that just paint?
Pat
It's actually a pretty thick coating 1/16 - 1/8" thick in places, that a tank shop sprayed which is gaurunteed to not leak?? They cleaned the tank inside, sandblasted it and the sending unit, and made up a new ground wire & gasket. It is paintable, I asked, but decided I thought it looked good enough with just the coating to install it. I hung it and filled it with gas for a week with no leaks.
Old June 21st, 2010, 12:07 AM

Been quite awhile since I downloaded the camera and had time to organize a few photos...progress is continuing but somewhat slow! And since photos show more then words can.... heres a few snapshots of whats been slowly progressing

The Rear drums cleaned up;

1.jpg

The Front Clip Removed, I don't think any of these parts are going back on!
a.jpg

Front End & Control Arms Stripped down
b.jpg

d.jpg

Control Arms New polyurethane bushings & ball joints installed

Picture013.jpg
Picture016.jpg

Front End Painted
Picture034.jpg
Picture033.jpg

Control Arms, 2" lowering springs, spindles, sway bar and a few other things back together.
Picture046.jpg
Picture045.jpg

Thats about it for now on my 63, I figured I better update this before a year goes by!!

And to wrap up heres a quick snapshot of my fathers 62 in progress as well!
Picture022.jpg
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:43 AM

Looking good!
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:17 AM

It looks like your doing a frame on resto- on the 63? That may be the route I take on the 64 . As this point a friend of mine is going to schedule me to bring the 64 out to his place he has a rotisserie, it will be MUCH easier to weld the complete trunk pan in, the frame supports to the trunk pan as well as the gas tank supports all weld to the trunk pan itself. Also not to mention the floors and braces. As soon as a get it out there I will take a bunch of pictures.

Quick Reply: Saving a Starfire...Restoration project begins!