General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Is this Show Winning 72 Incorrect?

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Registered Abuser

Is this Show Winning 72 Incorrect?

I was reading the comments on Hemmings blog for this 442 that won the 2010 Summit Racing Equipment Show Car Series ISCA Finals.

The commenter took issue with the fenders the battery and the cable routing.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...me-top-honors/
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM

is this the car inline tube built ? looked at the link and yes it is the inline car I would bet it is right . You can run the wire both over the engine or over the fender well both are correct .

Last edited by firefrost gold; December 29th, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:08 PM

The red fender wells were not widely used in '72----supposedly only on the first 6 or 7 W30s. As for the battery and cable--side posts were used in '72 and I've seen un-restored cars with the cable routed different ways. I think trans. and other options determined the routing. I'd think Kryta would've done plenty of homework and not just slapped it together. As for being over-restored I say BS.---make it as nice as possible. That car is a kind of a rolling catalogue for his company's products so why not make it the best it can be.
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Looks like one of the many that ILT (James Kryta) owns.

http://www.wingsautoart.com/
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:16 PM

4-spd cars have the pos battery cable running along the valve covers like that.

Plus 1972 was a side post battery terminal. The only year IIRC.
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Correct. 4-speed cars cable ran along the intake (so as to not interfere with the clutch Z-bar I assume) and Auto equipped cars ran along the fender well.

Last edited by mmurphy77; December 29th, 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM

That's one of the little things bugging me on switching to a 4-spd or not... that cable (and not running along the inner well past the notch in the washer fluid bottle), the engine sticker up front saying 4-spd instead of auto, ppl asking why a 4-spd all the time (especially on a 350 Cutlass Supreme) at car shows, being hung up on originality (not all out concourse like Kryta's car though), etc. Can't make up my mind.

Last edited by oldzy; December 29th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:53 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Iam sure glad i dont have to worry about how I lay my cable......

Battery cable that is........

Sure is ugly over the engine like that isnt it?
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Terribly ugly. It's horrifying.
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Registered

Looks good to me.

In the '71 assembly manual it shows that the thermostat housing hose clamp screw should be 45 degrees from vertical to the driver's side of the car, not sure about '72.
I wouldn't think they would make such a totally unforgivable mistake like that but anything's possible.
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Oldsdruid

Other than engine/aircleaner being too glossy, it appears correct to me for a stick car. The (+) cable was run down the intake on those to avoid interference with clutch linkage.

I believe 72 batteries could be either top or side post depending on application or build date.
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Olds Dreamer

I like this game i learn alot.
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:48 PM

Beautiful yes, restored no. GM never a car with that level of detail. The body gaps, paint and fit/finish were never that nice. And every chassis left the plant with a coat of blackout that covered the suspension. Engines were never that nice, and they were test fired and tuned before they were shipped. That means paint got burned off and exhaust manifolds got rusty. That car is garage art, pretty but not technically a restoration.
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:50 PM

I question the body color, and the long metal brake lines out of the master cylinder with funky bends.
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wrong upper radiator hose.

Really.

Those "GM" "white square" hoses were dealer parts dept. replacements, NOT used when the car was assembled at the factory.

I will have to look for the thread on this in another forum, but the owner of a repro parts house, who sells both types of hoses, and who owns a number of original GM cars of this period, was convincing on the subject.

- Eric

edit: Here's that link to the other thread.

Last edited by MDchanic; December 29th, 2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Added link
Old December 29th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
...That car is a kind of a rolling catalogue for his company's products so why not make it the best it can be.
That also makes every dime spend on the resto a tax deduction.
Old December 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That also makes every dime spend on the resto a tax deduction.
That's the way to do it.
Those private, "non-profit" auto museums are a really good tax shelter too.

In high school my buddy's father owned a plumbing company and he built the Ideal Plumbing and Heating '32 Ford five window coupe for nothing.
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Oldsdruid

Body color is Radiant Green. Loud, but available and correct for 1972.
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:38 PM

Is the plastic wire looming on the fender correct for '72?
Old December 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

As long as we are going to nit pick the hell out of it, I don't think the master cylinder was supposed to be gloss black. It is a beautiful car and I wish it was mine.
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
As long as we are going to nit pick the hell out of it, I don't think the master cylinder was supposed to be gloss black. It is a beautiful car and I wish it was mine.
Yes they were. Everyone thinks cast iron is correct, or painting them to look cast is correct. They were black.

NOS 65 booster with black master.

Old December 30th, 2010, 11:55 AM

I made a comment on that blog about their other car, the 70 W-31, with the alum. sbo. I seem to recall that, that car also won best restored class in ISCA a couple of years ago If I'm right, that would make the 72, the 2nd Olds to win that class.
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mike's88
I made a comment on that blog about their other car, the 70 W-31, with the alum. sbo. I seem to recall that, that car also won best restored class in ISCA a couple of years ago
It did, and when I saw that, my first reaction was "How can a car that was never factory built be Best Restored"???
Old December 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Yes they were. Everyone thinks cast iron is correct, or painting them to look cast is correct. They were black.

NOS 65 booster with black master.

Maybe in '65 but I'm not sure that pertains to other years especially '70-'72 dual cylinder style where I've seen unrestored cars with rusty Master Cylinders from being unpainted bare iron from the factory.
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It did, and when I saw that, my first reaction was "How can a car that was never factory built be Best Restored"???
I have a few questions about that car other than the aluminum motor. But you are right Joe, a car that never was won best restored.: rolleyes:
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Shoveling Snow

Nos 67 Cutlass pwr brake pkg. I have also seen nos master cyls in raw cast.
I for 1 don't care for the car because of their business practices.
Call me bitter for holding a grudge I don't care.
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:00 PM

It's just plaine N-I-C-E in my book!
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:08 PM

I have to agree with you guys pertaining the the W31 with the aluminum engine. Look, I doubt if anyone here likes W31s more than I do, and I like that car an awful lot, but it belongs in a class with experimentals, or design study type cars. That engine, while exotic and rare was never mass produced and therefore shouldn't be classified with cars that were built on the normal assembly line. Kryta's cars are over-the-top and if I had his resources and parts availability mine probably would be too---I can't take anything away from him there. ISCA judges and OCA judges look at things in a different manner---what is correct for one is not for the other. The green car here is a wonderful car, extremely appealing, but technically a little too nice. Personally, I'm O.K. with that---Yes WAY cleaner and shinier than when it was originally built. Restored? No. Over-restored? Definitely. Would I own it? Absolutely!
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
I have to agree with you guys pertaining the the W31 with the aluminum engine. Look, I doubt if anyone here likes W31s more than I do, and I like that car an awful lot, but it belongs in a class with experimentals, or design study type cars. That engine, while exotic and rare was never mass produced and therefore shouldn't be classified with cars that were built on the normal assembly line. Kryta's cars are over-the-top and if I had his resources and parts availability mine probably would be too---I can't take anything away from him there. ISCA judges and OCA judges look at things in a different manner---what is correct for one is not for the other. The green car here is a wonderful car, extremely appealing, but technically a little too nice. Personally, I'm O.K. with that---Yes WAY cleaner and shinier than when it was originally built. Restored? No. Over-restored? Definitely. Would I own it? Absolutely!
I have seen some pics of the "w31" pre restoration that make me question if its a real W31 or not. I do know from those pics was not a 4 speed car, it was a column shift, it also had a single exhaust, and did not have a W27 rear.

Its an awesome example of what money can build, but its too perfect and maybe too fake to ever be a OCA class winner. It hasnt won yet so maybe the OCA knows that its not really restored with that engine in it.
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM
No it's not a parts car!!

Imo it's a very nice looking car. Kind of like an uncirculated coin, you pay more than it's face value cause its soooooo shinny
Gary
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Hey TK65, I saw some pics DURING the resto. but none of the car prior to any work being performed. Now you got me thinkin'---I'll have to do some diggin' around and see what I can find on that car. Column shift, single exhaust, huh--never knew that----like I said, I only saw pics DURING the build. Until next time..... Dave.
Old December 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM

The pics I saw were, and still are, on wingsautoart.com The pics are really deceiving, since there are no shots of specific W31 parts. No interior pics showing the 4 speed, no motor shots of the intake or balancer, and the car did not have side stripes or W31 emblems. Remember this car was susposively low mileage and untouched. What pics they do show, show other things that contradict the cars "history".

Rear end is not aluminum

Original floor with no hole for a shifter to poke thru.

Under engine shot showing crossover pipe and no drivers side mid pipe, meaning single exhaust.

Last edited by TK-65; December 30th, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:35 PM

One thing on the painted master cylinders. I am no expert but I have heard many times on the difference between factory installed parts and dealer parts. To save a few pennies (important when building millions of cars, I guess), the assembly line master cylinder or tie rods or whatever might have a misted oil coating (or Cosmolene) to inihibit rust because it is manufactured and installed pretty quickly so only has to look good for a little while. Of course, it will later rust when the oil washes off. However, the same component made by the same manufacturer as a replacement part might be painted because it might sit on a warehouse or dealer shelf for a long time. So, just because you have an NOS part in a box that is painted, does not mean it was like that on the assembly line.
Old December 30th, 2010, 08:17 PM

Here is a super low mile, 1774, 73 SD 455 Trans Am. Nice but not like the "restored" to perfection W30.

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...39391&page=all
Old December 31st, 2010, 06:42 AM

i dont think the cars are for sale and or will be any time soon so we wonder why people get out of the hobby this guy builds or has built two very nice olds and many want to pick them apart if you strip cut and make a car like the w-31 with the rare motor (yes i said motor just to bug some) I say Thanks i will never have the means to have one like it but i like to see some one who can, can. in line tube has some pontiac that are just as nice .
Old December 31st, 2010, 10:16 AM

i sold my 16,000 mile 72 W-30 in 2000. it had a black master cylinder. i know of a 1970 car that i feel sure had one that was not painted but can't prove that one.
Old December 31st, 2010, 11:39 AM

this is the 16,000 mile W-30 to compare it to. there are a couple things on this not right (like the hose clamp at the radiator) but interesting for a comparison. this was an automatic W-30 so the positive cable in on the finder. both have the same hole where the washer jar would be if it was on the driver side. mine had a B-4 stamp and was up side down and his is right side up. my X on the valve cover is not as bold. little things like that are neat to me to compare. just wish i still had it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001_21.jpg (78.6 KB, 49 views)
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:28 PM

That TransAm is one nice car!!! I LOVE un-touched cars like that.
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:50 PM

Some people have to scrutinize and criticize too much or they just don't feel good about themselves.
That's a pretty damn nice engine bay.

I wish mine was that nice.

Last edited by Aceshigh; December 31st, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old December 31st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
Some people have to scrutinize and criticize too much or they just don't feel good about themselves.
That's a pretty damn nice engine bay.
I'm not criticizing the car. I'm criticizing the judging process that selects a car that was never factory built as Best Restored.

Of course, a 1968 "W-30" with the emblems in the wrong place and thus the stripes in the wrong place won best of class at Seven Springs...

Quick Reply: Is this Show Winning 72 Incorrect?