General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Shocks w/Springs on Them?

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Registered Luser

Question Shocks w/Springs on Them?

My Vista has rear shocks with springs on them...what are these called and are they original? Has anyone seen any NOS sets around for sale? If I had a pic I would post it, but I'm sure some of you know what I am talking about...I thought maybe spiral shocks, but when I looked those up, they were shocks with a "twist" on the top half......
Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
My Vista has rear shocks with springs on them...what are these called and are they original? Has anyone seen any NOS sets around for sale? If I had a pic I would post it, but I'm sure some of you know what I am talking about...I thought maybe spiral shocks, but when I looked those up, they were shocks with a "twist" on the top half......
they are coil overs. some people use them on the back of cars and wagons to pull trailers. it helps on the tongue weight. i would not think that they put them on as a factory option. most shock mounts were made for damping only and not for support.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Registered Luser

Ah yes, OK, thanks Eric. Could they have been part of heavy duty suspension package on a Vista? Would there be a noticeable difference if I were to replace them with regular heavy duty shocks?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM

I think you would be surprised if you replaced the shocks. Especially if you haven't replaced them before. If you got standard "heavy duty" shocks you would keep the car close to OEM and have additional support for towing.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:18 PM
Oldsdruid

I don't think GM ever installed them at the factory, but Monroe, Delco, Gabriel all offered coil-over rear shocks in the aftermarket and you find a whole lot of 60s GM cars with them. 61-64 especially. Both my 64 Starfires have them and my buddy's 64 Grand Prix too.

'Course those years always looked like they were dragging their tails anyway.
Old September 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM

I believe Gabriel marketed these as LOAD LEVELERS.
Old September 24th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bulldog
I believe Gabriel marketed these as LOAD LEVELERS.
That's right.

The car was probably low in the rear and they put them on, or maybe for towing. Nobody bought coilover shocks that I knew, you got the kit at K-mart or somewhere and put the coils on your shocks and a couple of clamps held them. I would think about replacing the rear springs if it sags a lot when you pull the shocks, shock mounts aren't really made to hold up the car as said.

I think it could of had the Superlift option for air shocks and heavy duty rear springs but I've never heard of coilovers stock, but never say never.
I put cargo-coil springs and regular shocks on mine and it sits a little high in the rear with no weight, the springs get progressively firmer as weight is added, rides smooth and mushy.

Isn't the "spiral twist" on the bottom half Erik?

I bet you could airbrush those spiral lines on regular shocks, a car show judge best not be feeling my shocks (or car) or it'll be woopin' time.

spiral shocks.jpg
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks everyone! I will remove the coilovers and put a set of heavy duties on there! Allen, yea, top half bottom half...what is the purpose of those anyway? I found a set of delco heavies on e-bay I'm gonna get!