General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Shipping UPS ?

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2012, 10:05 AM

Shipping UPS ?

Has anyone as of very recent (past month or so) had any problems shipping a carb, intake or fuel related item at a UPS Service Counter?

Once I said carburetor they proceeded on opening all boxes and claim they weren't packed properly (according to their specs) and that they could do it for a cost. Ridiculous!!!

Any alternatives
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Bag it bag it bag it. I always bag them and then wrap them with plastic wrap. Then tape the crap out of it. I have never had issues with ups. When they ask i just say car parts if they ask specifics i say something else. fed ex has checked butt hey said i wrapped it up good.
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Bubble wrapped like crazy. It was the counter person I think.
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM

Maybe it would be better to call it a starter and dont mention carb. I sent a couple while back and red flags went up when I said carb. I told them they havent been run or had gas in them for many years and all was well.
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:08 PM

I have shipped a couple of intakes in the last 6 months and have had no issues.

Don W
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by yankees
Once I said carburetor they proceeded on opening all boxes and claim they weren't packed properly (according to their specs) and that they could do it for a cost. Ridiculous!!!
Agreed - it's total BS. Did you ask them what their specs were?

I suggest you ship it USPS. It's just as slow, gets bounced around just as much or less and when they ask what's inside? USED car parts gets no attention at all. I got a 7043251 qjet shipped from the US to Canada that way. Took 8 days and was wrapped just like you said - bubbled to death.

I don't use Fedex or UPS any more because of their lousy service and brokerage and extra surcharges.
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

This may be more related to TSA implementing new technologies that can sniff packages. A friend of mine tried to carry a carb (that had been sitting on a shelf with no gasoline in it for over three years) in checked baggage and TSA refused to allow it. I think that technology has migrated to freight carrying airlines as well now.
Old October 30th, 2012, 02:21 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I am in the Aerospace Industry.I Process "Heat Treat Fuel System Components" both Commercial and Defense ..among other things.I have challenged UPS on components that have been returned to us Damaged Beyond Recognition.They Reply .. that they have an 8 foot acceptable drop...When I restore an Instrument Panel I will only use FedEX .I have shipped over 100 IPs and have had only 1 Damaged due to handling..And they have taken care of my claim..I am not bashing UPS ..I just feel more comfortable with FEDEX.
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:05 PM
72 Olds CS

As mentioned when asked I say car or bike parts if pressed further I will state a metering device, I havent had any problems, but I mostly use FEDEX. In almost all cases they are cheaper than USPS and UPS forthe same package to the same location

I always pack my own stuff and if it smells like gas at all I leave it to air out for awhile and definetly double bag it too

FEDEX let me ship a bike engine w no issues ....drained of course

Last edited by RetroRanger; October 30th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old October 30th, 2012, 05:06 PM

I don't know about shipping, but I prefer receiving from UPS. They always deliver to my house, place items in my sun porch when I am not home. Had one walk through 2 feet of snow for 100 yards when he could not drive to the house. The others are a crapshoot, leaving large items at the road, or the USPS, not bothering to drive to the house with a package. Long driveway, but can see house from road and plenty of room to turn around.
Old October 31st, 2012, 08:42 AM

I use FedEx ONLY with ZERO problems. I ship everything through them and if you pack it right,you will have no problem. They are cheaper than UPS and if you have an account,it's even cheaper. You can open an account online with a credit card and you're all set. There's no monthly fee either unlike UPS who has a fee unless you ship a lot.