General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.
View Poll Results: sensor & carb problem?
???
100.00%
???
0%
???
0%
???
0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

sensor identification, and carb problem!

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2015, 05:45 PM

Exclamation sensor identification, and carb problem!

Hi, everyone! I'm a proud owner of a 1984 oldsmobile delta 88 307 vin Y engine. The problem I'm having is, (check engine light) trouble code: 15. I think I've replaced the right or wrong sensor, because my problem still exists. I've attached a photo of three sensors. The sensor, with the 2-black wires coming from it, is the sensor that I replaced (Closest to rubber fuel line). I'm trying to identify the other sensor, to the left of the one that I replaced. (with the black electric tape). I've unplugged the sensor for a better view and for someone to identify it!

Did I replace the right sensor?
Is the other sensor (to the left of the replaced sensor) is coolant level sensor?

When installing the fuel line, (E4MC quadrajet ) I accidentally broke vacuum diagram tubing. This tube is located right above the fuel line inlet (upper left) I've attached a picture for better view. The new carb that I've already installed has an extra port in the location (indicated by straw). I only used the pics from the old carb to indicate location of port tube, because I couldn't get a clear pic of new carb once it was installed. I'm open for all advice! Thanks in advance!

Can I hook the vacuum diaphragm up to this port location?
Is better just to cap off diaphragm and plug tubing hole?
what's the best way to reroute the vacuum hoses for the diaphragm?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150921_074706.jpg (2.20 MB, 20 views)
20150920_183726.jpg (2.67 MB, 18 views)
20150920_183531.jpg (2.13 MB, 18 views)
20150920_183702.jpg (3.14 MB, 18 views)

Last edited by louisianaboy08; September 21st, 2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add pics
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:46 PM

There are two separate coolant temperature sensors on the 307. The one with black and yellow wires are for the computer to read. On my 86 Cutlass, that sensor is on the drivers side.
The other sensor on passenger side is for the gage or warning light on the dash, and that would have two green wires. This would be a simple on-off switch for the light or variable for the gage.
So my analysis is that you replaced the wrong one.

As far as i know the two variable sensors are not interchangeable so make sure you buy the correct one, or know that the parts store guy gives you the right one.
I do not even see the one you need on Rockauto. They have the temp gage and temp light senders but not the sender for the computer...

Not sure about your hose issue yet.
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
There are two separate coolant temperature sensors on the 307. The one with black and yellow wires are for the computer to read. On my 86 Cutlass, that sensor is on the drivers side.
The other sensor on passenger side is for the gage or warning light on the dash, and that would have two green wires. This would be a simple on-off switch for the light or variable for the gage.
So my analysis is that you replaced the wrong one.

As far as i know the two variable sensors are not interchangeable so make sure you buy the correct one, or know that the parts store guy gives you the right one.
I do not even see the one you need on Rockauto. They have the temp gage and temp light senders but not the sender for the computer...

Not sure about your hose issue yet.
Thanks so much, "Rob Young". You have saved me a lot of time and trouble, because I was fixing to buy the same sensor to replace the one in the pic (the one that you identified). I also was fixing to connect the black and yellow wires to the sensor closest to the thermostat, because I thought maybe the previous owner swapped them by mistake. I'm glad to hear that your's is set up the same way, but I just can't figure out why, "GM", would cross the sensors like that. My black and yellow wires come from the passenger's side (wire harness) to the driver's side for the computer sensor, and from the driver's side (wire harness) to the passenger side for the warning light sensor. I've spent nearly 2 hrs searching for the sensor. Auto Zone didn't have it after trying 6 different part numbers. O'Reilly had it for 50.00 and had to order it, I declined that, because of the price, and the fact of having to wait till Wednesday. My last place was "Bumper to bumper". They told me they could order it, that gave me same delivery day as, "O'reilly", so I declined too, because of the waiting, but their price was a lot better. They had two brands. One sensor @ 12.00-14.00 dollars, & the other was 21.00. I wish that, I could've waited, but my vehicle is my only source of transportation. My last and final resort is to check the wrecking yard 1st thing in the morning, and hope that I could find it. I was given some helpful information, that the same sensors are on some Chevys or other GM vehicles.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 05:29 PM

The problem with the parts stores is that they just might order the incorrect one, like for the gage or light.
If you have a local pick and pull bone yard, i would grab a couple from there from any car with an Olds 307. Early 90's RWD Cadillac, Buick and Olds big whale-wagon up to early 90's, and of course mid-late 80's RWD Olds and Buicks.
OR put up a parts wanted post on this site with your desires.
If you needed to pass an emissions test and get the light off now, or to provide better drivability until you get a new sensor, you could wire in a 200 to 350 Ohm (1/4W or higher) resistor between the yellow and black to fool the ECM in thinking it is up to normal operating temp.
Old September 24th, 2015, 05:44 PM

Thanks, again, "Rob Young". I went to the junk yard after our last convo and found an old Buick, and what looked like an old delta 98. These cars were so rusted out with grass grown high around them, I was almost scared to get anything off of them. The wrecking yard sold me 2 sensors for 15 bucks. The 1st sensor worked like a charm! i started the car and the car ran @ idle without the check engine light. Then i took the car for a spin light never came back on. I'm so glad this problem is behind me now. I drove around for 6 months bothered with the, "Check eng." light. Now I just have to get my carb situation fixed. Either I will buy a new carb, or get mines rebuilt. I'm wanting everything stock & up to par, on my "Olds". Thanks again.......