General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

selling parts can be a hard job

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2011, 05:13 PM

selling parts can be a hard job

i have to give alot of credit to 2blu442, oldspackrat, 507olds and any others i missed. like most people selling parts, i just do this part time and love doing it. i have found out that keeping PMs and e mails organized can be hard to do. then finding boxes and packing material is another thing. after pulling parts, cleaning parts, taking pictures, posting, responding to PMs and e mails, packing and shipping, it takes alot of time. i guess what i am getting at is that if i (or any of the others for that matter) don't get back to you right away it may be because of the amount of time that is involved. not that i am complaining, i really enjoy doing it. i understand now why people that do this full time have premium prices. i also have to say thanks for all the help that the guys mentioned above have given me. really are great guys.
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM
1968 442 restoration

Not to mention keeping the parts themselves organized. Parts and parts cars take up a lot of realestate and it is a lot of work to remove parts from a 40+ year old car and not break them. You guys are such a valuable resource to all of us that are into restoring these cars. Thank you and thank you again!

Chris
Old September 15th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Kjr442

2blu442 ( John ) was great to work with, he went out of his way to help me. I have sold parts on line through the years too,and yes, it is hard.
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:20 PM

Eric & others,
Thanks for the kind words, sometimes it is work. I was in a yard about 5-6 weeks ago in the 98 or so degree heat pulling some bucket seats out of a '67 gran prix & a '67 Skylark. I was sweating in places that I didn't know could sweat & had to get out of the car a couple times due to getting faint & having trouble breathing. Stupid heat & humidity!! But, I was still having fun & at least I was not on the clock somewhere working with people I don't like doing something I don't like.
I'm am so blessed to be able to play with cars & get paid for it.
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1!

Scott and John and Joe are the greatest, and I'm sure I could say the same about all the others I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with yet!

It makes a huge difference to many of us to be able to enjoy their help.

- Eric

Last edited by MDchanic; September 15th, 2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: I forgot Joe! How could I forget Joe?
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:24 PM

yeah, not to mention how many of us are "interested"in those parts but either change our mind, can't afford it or forgot we asked in the first place.

I for one really appreciate all you guys, as you know our cars and I feel you are more than fair with us.
Old September 15th, 2011, 07:30 PM

Yep it is a lot of work and I myself only sell part time. I have one gripe and maybe it is just me. I would like acknowledgement that the purchaser recieved the part and all is well. It is something I always do on a purchase. Often I hear nothing and it is hard to put that transaction to rest without the confirmation or maybe a Thank You.
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Craigslist is awful, but you guys are a ok. Come shopping in my garage anytime
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
i have to give alot of credit to 2blu442, oldspackrat, 507olds and any others i missed. like most people selling parts, i just do this part time and love doing it. i have found out that keeping PMs and e mails organized can be hard to do. then finding boxes and packing material is another thing. after pulling parts, cleaning parts, taking pictures, posting, responding to PMs and e mails, packing and shipping, it takes alot of time. i guess what i am getting at is that if i (or any of the others for that matter) don't get back to you right away it may be because of the amount of time that is involved. not that i am complaining, i really enjoy doing it. i understand now why people that do this full time have premium prices. i also have to say thanks for all the help that the guys mentioned above have given me. really are great guys.
Couldn't agree with you more Eric! Well said. I think that will help a lot of people who may be a little impatient because they don't understand the processes you guys have to go through.

THANK YOU, on behalf of myself and others who have benefited from all the sellers efforts and kindnesses. I really appreciate you being there for us.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:19 PM

On behalf of my husband and I (we own Big M Automotive Dismantlers) thank you for understanding what we do. We have over 1000 cars, not all Olds, between our yard and office. It takes time to go out and inspect the parts, confirm the condition and price with customer and then go out and pull it.

We try to get the part out as quickly as we can, but sometimes it takes a little time. Especially if the weather turns nasty and wet.

We do offer tours thru our yards on weekends if you call ahead.

I have also purchased parts thru John (a 455 for the Hurst Olds) and was extremely pleased with it.

M'Lisa and John Fowlie
Big M Auto
Williams, Ca
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:05 AM

Man it can be a pain. It wouldnt be worth it, if i didnt love Oldsmobile so much!!! But i do so i love it!!! I have been non stop from 6 am to 10 PM the last 48 hours just helping my buddy out with his parts. But he is giving me a % so its cool.

One thing that bugs me is when people ask for a part and a total for shipping. I get it all boxed up and ready then they change their mind.

That reminds me. Eric do you still have those disc brakes i was supposed to buy off you a while back????
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by tndrtgr
On behalf of my husband and I (we own Big M Automotive Dismantlers) thank you for understanding what we do. We have over 1000 cars, not all Olds, between our yard and office. It takes time to go out and inspect the parts, confirm the condition and price with customer and then go out and pull it.

We try to get the part out as quickly as we can, but sometimes it takes a little time. Especially if the weather turns nasty and wet.

We do offer tours thru our yards on weekends if you call ahead.

I have also purchased parts thru John (a 455 for the Hurst Olds) and was extremely pleased with it.

M'Lisa and John Fowlie
Big M Auto
Williams, Ca

Checked out your site..Nice yard! Wish that is what I had for an occupation!
If you come across a real minty drivers fender and passenger door for a 65 Cutlass HT Im interested...Thanks Don
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by f-85
That reminds me. Eric do you still have those disc brakes i was supposed to buy off you a while back????
i have them but if you don't need them it is OK. i have another guy wanting some but have not had time to pull the other set. if you decide you don't need them i can sell these to him. just let me know.
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:19 PM

You left out the part about having to type 300 words a minute on CO and I'm sure other forums.
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:44 PM

lol, i can't spell at all and type with two fingers. hookd on foniks workd 4 me

thanks for the comments everyone. just got off the phone with more olds stuff. i enjoy doing it but i do have to keep it under control. the family has to come first, always.
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Again, well said jensenracing77.

Oldspackrat is great to deal with, I appreciate your time and efforts helping me locate parts for my car.

I can relate to finding/selling parts (I do it part time as well) and all that's involved to complete a deal or not.

Keep up the great work Everyone, you're greatly appreciated!
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM

i have to give alot of credit to 2blu442, oldspackrat, 507olds and
They have been good to me, if it was not for them I would not have AC in the car right now. Thank you.
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:07 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I aint easy.
I had a prospective buyer for an Instrument Panel restoration. I should mention "not from this site" waste alot of my time.We talked 5 to 6 times .1/2 an hour a call.All at 11:00 PM .
The last call ,he told me he had to ask his wife if he could get his IP restored...
I told him that I had to ask my girlfriend if I could restore one for him...
I signed up for it...I stuck my fingers in the cage..
Ron
Old September 16th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Jensen, got a fuel pump block off plate? RRP's website is down and Dick Miller is a joke, charging for technical advice...If anyone has a block off they'd like to sell I need one quick. $$ Willing to PAY $$

Dyno next Tuesday, no block off and no way to make one.
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:38 PM

i don't have one but couldn't you make one for temp use till you find a good one?
Old September 16th, 2011, 05:42 PM

I was thinking about going down to Lowe's and getting 1/8" steel plate and cutting it to length and drilling holes. Then I started thinking about how I've got a really bad cold / sinus infection and how just thinking about cutting steel makes me tired and I'd really just love to pay someone $20 plus shipping, plus tip and NOT have to go out in the garage.

I'm miserable man, trying to get well for Monday...if I miss this dyno date I have to wait 3 weeks and the car is here waiting for the engine. If it doesn't happen Monday I won't have it dynoed. No biggy, I'm sure the machine shop can fab something up, just going to cost more.
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

they're $17 shipped for stainless on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OLDSM...item519696958f

I do accept tips.
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM

I do appreciate you guys, too.
I know how it is, cause I semi-parted a car a few years back and its a pain. However, I love to be able to help others keep their classics on the road. These parts are hard to find and repros are often flawed.

So to all of you guys I have bought from - THANK YOU MUCH!!