General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

It seems I have a leak...

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2018, 08:00 PM

It seems I have a leak...

Hey all, I've noticed lately after it rains, I have some puddles of water in the trunk of my 72 Cutlass Supreme. I am unable to keep it in my garage, so I keep it covered outside, but I think my cover is part of the issue. It's supposed to be waterproof, but I think its soaking through after a heavy rain and the water is leaking into my trunk, so much that it will soak a bath towel.

It has a new vinyl top and it's in great shape, so I dunno where the leak is coming from. It looks to me like the water dripping onto the "shelf" behind the rear seat then it runs down into the main trunk area. I have a vinyl trunk liner, so I'm not too concerned about the trunk rusting.

So my questions are:
1.Where would I look for the leak and how would I know how to pinpoint it?
2. Can anyone recommended a truly waterproof car cover?
3. Because I have the liner, is this something I should be overly worried about?
4. What would be the long term effects if I don't fix it right away?
5. If I get a better cover, will I be ok?

Thank,
Dave
Thanks
vw
Old September 9th, 2018, 09:38 PM

It's leaking from the bottom of the rear window. This got water and rusted back in the day. My Chevy does the same. Lean down and look "up" at the bottom of the package tray and you will see surface rust.

There are some expensive car covers out there. Personally, I would put a tarp over the car cover when you expect rain. Perhaps one of those temp garages which is like metal poles and a tarp roof.

I don't know what you mean about vinyl liner. If it is loose, yes, water will get behind it. Molded on, like plasti dip, eventually, yes, water will get behind it.

Long term effects include rusting of window channel and eventual rusting of the wells in the trunk.

I am not a cover expert.
Old September 10th, 2018, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by 72455

It has a new vinyl top and it's in great shape, so I dunno where the leak is coming from. It looks to me like the water dripping onto the "shelf" behind the rear seat then it runs down into the main trunk area. I have a vinyl trunk liner, so I'm not too concerned about the trunk rusting.

Thank,
Dave
Thanks
vw
so when it had a new vinyl top was the back window removed?if so maybe it was not sealed,if not maybe it needs resealed.pop the trim and this gives you access to the window channel to see if it is rusted thru.

Old September 10th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

There's probably a 90% chance that this is caused by pinchweld rust. This is an all too common problem on these cars. Pull the stainless trim off from around the rear window and inspect carefully.
Old September 10th, 2018, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There's probably a 90% chance that this is caused by pinchweld rust. This is an all too common problem on these cars. Pull the stainless trim off from around the rear window and inspect carefully.
If it's the pinch weld what are my options?
Old September 10th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 72455
If it's the pinch weld what are my options?
Welding in new metal, or welding in new metal.
Old September 10th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I think if you really want to see the extremity of the leak, crawl into the trunk and have someone run a steady stream of water along the window edge. Watch for the amount of water and where it appears to come from. It may be one side or both.
Old September 10th, 2018, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I think if you really want to see the extremity of the leak, crawl into the trunk and have someone run a steady stream of water along the window edge. Watch for the amount of water and where it appears to come from. It may be one side or both.
And yet again, Allan comes through. Thanks for the suggestion😀
Old September 10th, 2018, 02:38 PM

I like to look at inexpensive fixes first. What is the state of your trunk weather-stripping?
I also have to keep mine outdoors from spring through fall. Go to carcovers.com. Great covers, inexpensive, full warranty, and completely waterproof.
Old September 10th, 2018, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by chip-powell
I like to look at inexpensive fixes first. What is the state of your trunk weather-stripping?
I also have to keep mine outdoors from spring through fall. Go to carcovers.com. Great covers, inexpensive, full warranty, and completely waterproof.
Yea...I've given them a look. I have a car cover but, as I said it's not 100% waterproof, so for now I have a waterproof tarp over my car cover.

Old September 10th, 2018, 07:16 PM
72 Olds CS

i would say if you only have 1 leak your lucky.

I got caught in some rain earlier this year, the next day the seats and carpet were out so dry off the interior of the car...in my case the consensus was the cowl drains are clogged

I put it on the list for next season
Old November 25th, 2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welding in new metal, or welding in new metal.
Just following up...I put a tarp in the trunk and it's helping but I need to still find the source...Joe, where are the pinch welds I need to look at?
Old November 26th, 2018, 04:52 AM

Get down in the trunk and look up at the side of the package tray closest to the trunk opening. If your rust holes are big enough, you'll be able to see light coming through the holes. If not, pour a cup of water onto the window molding then get in and look up there with a flashlight to see where the water is coming in.

If you want a quick and cheap fix, squirt clear RTV along the deck filler panel along the bottom window beneath the molding.

Last edited by Tiberian Fiend; November 26th, 2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old November 26th, 2018, 05:27 AM

And another thing: the tarp goes OVER the car to keep any water from getting in at all. That water is also going to pool on the floor of your passenger compartment and rust it out.