General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Second thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old September 15th, 2018, 07:51 PM

Second thoughts?

Just curious...who here after buying their Olds has ever spent time looking at other ones like theirs and even though you may see nicer ones or ones that were more of what you thought you wanted, you still have no regrets about your decision?

I often find myself trolling the internet while doing research and will stumble across a picture or two of other '72 Cutlass Supremes. While they may be show quality or a nicer driver, I still get a big smile on my face when I think about the fact that mine is sitting in the driveway, and not for one second do I tell myself that I acted too fast when I ponied up the cash and drove her home. And I know why that is. It's because of the enjoyment (and yes, sometimes even frustration) it brings me when I spend an afternoon tweaking here or tinkering there to give it that "personal" that tells me it's "mine"

So while I may never have a perfect example of what my '72 could be, it's ok, cuz at the end of the day, I bought what I wanted and I wanted what I bought.

Thanks for the read😀
Dave
Old September 15th, 2018, 09:32 PM

I could careless if nobody likes my cars! I started out buying the only car my that wife liked that was a gm brand!!! She is a Ford woman till it comes to Oldsmobile! She will drive a old's and not complain! She will cuss a Chevy as a steaming pile!!!😁
Old September 16th, 2018, 03:25 AM

My only second thought ever is the fact I waited to long to get more information from the previous owner. He unfortunately passed away unexpectedly during an operation two years after my purchase. That said, he left me with a car that is always admired at shows and cruise ins. Rest in peace Dan your car is being well taken care of.
Wayne
Old September 16th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Only regrets is thinking about all the other Olds I owned and sold.
Old September 16th, 2018, 01:23 PM

I think just about every car out there looked better than mine when I bought it out of a salvage yard impound lot.

I take great satisfaction in knowing that my car is my creation and that I did all of the work to get it to the condition it is today: engine rebuild, suspension, steering, differential, interior, convertible top, body work, paint, etc. I have rebuilt or replaced everything on it except the steering gear box. It may not be perfect, but I did it with my hands so for me it's way better than any car I cold buy out of some showroom or auction house.
Old September 16th, 2018, 04:06 PM

I've only have seen two other cars just like mine in perrson in my whole life and that was at the Old's Nationals. We (the owners) spent a couple hours asking questions and checking on the little differences we had made because we had hardly anything to compare them to. I still don't know which ones were correct or not.

I've never regretted building and driving my car though i have been envious of other makes and models, doubtful I would trade for anything else though...... Tedd
Old September 16th, 2018, 05:58 PM

My dad worked for Delco Electronics for 36 years, so obviously we were a GM family. My dad always had either Buick’s or Olds products, and he always had a beat up Chevy or GMC truck for home improvement projects. Needless to say, Dad has been a big influence on my automotive preferences.

I started working at the Kokomo Chrysler transmission plant 20 years ago, I’m a big believer in not biting the hand that feeds me, so now it’s ”Mopar or no car” when it comes to new vehicle purchases.

Im fortunate to have many friends with various other car make passions, so I get to appreciate other brands with them. There is no way I could ever afford to own or store all the cars I would love to have, so enjoying my friends cars is a good substitute.
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Forward into the Past

My dad was an Oldsmobile district sales manager so I grew up with Oldsmobiles in my blood. The only Olds I've ever sort of regretted buying was my '95 Aurora because the problems on that one always seemed to stay ahead of me. I think that if I had sold it three or four years ago, I would not be feeling the way I do about it today. As for the '95 Cutlass Supreme convertible I just bought, I have no regrets at all. At the price I paid, I don't think I exactly stole it did get a good value for my money, given all that doesn't need to be done to it.
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:53 AM
delete

IMO I def didn't get a deal on my car, but think I paid a fair price. In NY I was willing to pay a premium for a car with clean original sheet metal.
Old September 17th, 2018, 10:00 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

I like owning and driving dead brands. 2 Pontiacs and 6 Oldsmobiles. Always a hit at the cruise ins and shows. Remember taking home Top Chevy Honors at one because the sponsor didn't realize not everyone drove just a Chevy.
Old September 17th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Gary

Originally Posted by Fun71
I take great satisfaction in knowing that my car is my creation...
I feel similarly to Kenneth. I started with a (definitely) used car and made mechanical changes over time. Looking at show cars didn't cause envy, but it was a big source for ideas that I would later carry out.

I didn't do my own paint and upholstery as he did; however, I picked craftsmen who could complete my project to match what I saw in my imagination.

Now, I have my ideal creation. There's no way a regret could enter into my mind.

Yeah, well, except I think I might like to have fuel injection...

The creative process doesn't end.
Old September 19th, 2018, 05:37 PM

I haven’t regretted purchasing my 69 442 but I have some others after I purchased that I thought I would have liked to seen before I found mine. In the end I really like my car and I’m glad I too the jump to purchase it.
Old September 21st, 2018, 06:38 AM

No regrets really, just I know I overpaid by a couple thousand. Was thinking that when I got it but did it anyways.
I guess I paid a $2000 tax to learn. This was my first foray into the classic car world and still glad I did it.
Old September 21st, 2018, 08:25 AM
delete

Prior to my 442 I had a 10th Anniversary TA. I regretted that buy. Before the TA I had a Cutlass convertible for about eight years that I got bored with. I thought I wanted something different.. Ends up I wanted the same thing except with a roof & working AC.
Old September 21st, 2018, 09:21 AM
Forward into the Past

Originally Posted by ronskal
No regrets really, just I know I overpaid by a couple thousand. Was thinking that when I got it but did it anyways.
I guess I paid a $2000 tax to learn. This was my first foray into the classic car world and still glad I did it.
I hear you. One thing to consider is the condition of the car when you got it. The better shape it's in, the less you have to spend on it, thus the premium you paid could be justified--at least somewhat--as a cost containment measure. But the bottom line is the enjoyment the car brings you, which can be priceless.
Old September 21st, 2018, 10:46 AM
Jeff

Originally Posted by Human
I hear you. One thing to consider is the condition of the car when you got it. The better shape it's in, the less you have to spend on it, thus the premium you paid could be justified--at least somewhat--as a cost containment measure. But the bottom line is the enjoyment the car brings you, which can be priceless.
There's a '95 CS convertible for sale locally here in MI for $2k. Have to admit, I've gone back and looked at that FB ad a couple of times now.
Old September 21st, 2018, 11:15 AM

For me, the legacy of the car is really important. All 4 of my cars that I currently own I've known since they were new (original owner of all but my '68 Cutlass). While I've lusted over the Hurst/Olds-es since I was a kid, I could never come to parting ways w/ my '68 S to exchange for a H/O, too many memories and experiences bind me to my car. I'm the one that has touched and torqued nearly every bolt on it since I took ownership in '81 (at which time, it was far from "classic" status.........but I've always known the time would come and I was dedicated to preserving it as best I could). Oldsmobile's demise in the early '00s only hardened my dedication to my car.

I feel similarly about my '98 WS6 T/A 'vert M6, it was the first NEW car I've purchased and knew it had strong potential to become a classic some day. While there was a period of time in the summer of '99 when it was in the body shop getting repaired from its first (and, knock on wood, ONLY) wreck, I had an opportunity then to purchase a new '99 30th Anniversary WS6 'vert M6. In retrospect, the dealer mark-up on that car spooked me off and I recommitted to keeping my '98, knowing that the experience of seeing it driven off the showroom floor for ME to test drive barely a year earlier, combined with the realization of my child-hood dream of driving a brand new Ram Air Rag Top Pontiac off the showroom floor, would be irreplaceable by any subsequent new car purchase. As with the Olds, Pontiac's demise years later only hardened my dedication to preserve it.