General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Seat adjustment issue

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:22 PM

Seat adjustment issue

I have had my 64 dynamic 88 a few years and have never needed to adjust the
bench seat. However This weekend while installing my radio I need more room and went to move the seat back...I noticed I could not move it forward or back.
The handle moves but I do not hear or feel it disengage to allow free movement of the seat. So before I get frustrated and force it is there locations I can lubricate?
The last thing I want to do is spray WD40 every place and have an odor that I can't get rid of.
Any thoughts on this one.
Thanks
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by navvet
I have had my 64 dynamic 88 a few years and have never needed to adjust the
bench seat. However This weekend while installing my radio I need more room and went to move the seat back...I noticed I could not move it forward or back.
The handle moves but I do not hear or feel it disengage to allow free movement of the seat. So before I get frustrated and force it is there locations I can lubricate?
The last thing I want to do is spray WD40 every place and have an odor that I can't get rid of.
Any thoughts on this one.
Thanks
It sounds a lot like the wire that releases the slide on both sides has come undone. Try sliding your hand under the seat. If you can grab the wire and pull it forward, it should unlock the passenger side release and allow the seat to slide. After 58 years? You might want to consider taking the seat out and using some good quality moly lube on the slides and moving parts. Hope it's something as simple as this
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Oldsdruid

Handle on driver side is a direct link to the notched seat adjuster track. It should pull the pawl out of the notch and allow some fore and aft movement. It connects to the passenger side track with a piece of stiff wire like piano wire and usually routes thru some type of guide at the bottom front edge of the seat frame.

If you can access under the seat, try grabbing hold of the wire and pulling it, and the RH track may release.

If not, well, might as well pull the seat out the car, set it upside down and commence freeing the adjuster track up. A side benefit is the seat is out of the way and you can lay in the floor full-length while wrasslin' with the radio.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM

On a bench seat there is a long wire that runs the passenger side. The latch over there may be stuck try and free that side by reaching under and pulling on the part that the long wire goes into. The drivers side may be stuck as well but should move quicker than the passenger side. Sometimes if you can remove the spring then pull the latch you can use a bit more strength to move the seat. the other way is to remove the seat then flip it over where you can really work on it. You don't have to take it out of the car just flip it back. Watch your knucles cheers Orrick
Old February 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM

Hey fourtwenty
I did it ...smashed the knuckles. A staple from the upholstery had wedged itself in the track.
This spring I am going to remove seat and grease and repair the entire system
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by navvet
Hey fourtwenty
I did it ...smashed the knuckles. A staple from the upholstery had wedged itself in the track. This spring I am going to remove seat and grease and repair the entire system
Make sure you have help to take the seat out. IIRC they were installed at the factory before the doors were hung on the car. It's a big awkward part that weighs about 70 lbs. + it will have the mounting feet that could scratch your paint or inside door panels. Use a throw mat over the door to protect it during the removal and reinstall.

And while you've got the front seat out, that's the perfect time to clean/redye/replace your carpeting too. One thing I notice on a lot of cars is the floor carpeting gets changed, but the carpeting on the door panel gets left ratty looking. Tape it off and use a correct color spray dye to renew its look too.