General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Scam alert

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2023, 12:22 PM

Scam alert

I recently posted in the parts wanted section a request for 1966 442 fenders and was sent a pm from kranebee and directed to autopartyard911. Pictures of a perfectly restored 66 442 with factory ac was allegedly being parted out. The fenders where offered to me for 200 dollars including the shipping. The money would only be received by venmo or zelle. When I offered to view the parts and the vehicle vender refused to give any location information. When offering to purchase entire vehicle it was promised to friends. E mail where answered almost immediately with numerous errors in grammer and punctuation. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but none of this sounded legitimate and I have concerns that our forum which is so helpful has been contaminated. Fellow enthusiast please beware.Has any one had a similar experience? I either just missed the deal of a lifetime or avoided some heartache.

Nia pm from akranrbee
Old November 7th, 2023, 12:37 PM

I've seen a lot of this over on facebook. But I think this is a recent trend here on Classicoldsmobile. Yeah, price includes shipping and its likely the shipping will cost more than the price of the part! We all have to be careful who we send our money to. And the method of payment. Under the members names there is a number of how many posts that member has made here. There's also feedback in the classified forum from others who have made transactions with those members. You can use those hints to consider the trust level or not from the person offering the parts.
Old November 7th, 2023, 12:42 PM
Administrator

kranebee has been banned, please report these pm's using the red triangle in the top right of the pm message.
Old November 10th, 2023, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Squarebody442
I recently posted in the parts wanted section a request for 1966 442 fenders and was sent a pm from kranebee and directed to autopartyard911. Pictures of a perfectly restored 66 442 with factory ac was allegedly being parted out. The fenders where offered to me for 200 dollars including the shipping. The money would only be received by venmo or zelle. When I offered to view the parts and the vehicle vender refused to give any location information. When offering to purchase entire vehicle it was promised to friends. E mail where answered almost immediately with numerous errors in grammer and punctuation. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but none of this sounded legitimate and I have concerns that our forum which is so helpful has been contaminated. Fellow enthusiast please beware.Has any one had a similar experience? I either just missed the deal of a lifetime or avoided some heartache. Nia pm from akranrbee
with the end of Bus Shipping (9/30/22) there are really no "cheap" options, left, unless you know a Trucker or have friends moving stuff around the country. Case in point, last summer, maybe four or five months ago, a Guy wanted a Quote to ship a Mopar fender to Sacramento CA from Las Cruces. Both Fedex and UPS were over $400. That's the shipping, only! To ship a SINGLE fender. I have a so called "business account'. There is no "fastenal" here, the local branch has refused, since it opened, to involve itself in third party shipping. It has gotten out of hand.

Last edited by newmexguy; November 10th, 2023 at 07:24 AM.