General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Save it from the crusher!! Louisville, Ky.

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2008, 12:43 PM

Save it from the crusher!! Louisville, Ky.

Not mine. I saw it on the local CraigsL. - I doubt that there's a big demand for
a 67 Cutlass 4 door but it looks like a good ole original project for someone to
play with or part out. It is an Olds for goodness sake!

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/955679270.html
Old December 26th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Just A BaBy {:

wow!
Old December 26th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

[quote=esisson;55646] I doubt that there's a big demand for a 67 Cutlass 4 door but it looks like a good ole original project for someone to play with or part out. It is an Olds for goodness sake! quote]

Probably right. But the 330 is a strong runner. The whole car looks like it's in really good shape for being 41 years old. Hope it goes to a good home. These were the "baby limosines" of the day.
Old December 26th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Yep, me to. It's too cool of an old car to see it get crushed. Let the scrap guy have all the Geo Metros, Hyndai's, and Suzuki Samari's he can find!

I think it's funny how the radio is so far over on the passenger side that the driver can barely reach it to change the station. Definitely engineered for days gone by......
Old December 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by esisson
......I think it's funny how the radio is so far over on the passenger side that the driver can barely reach it to change the station......
Although it looks too far to the right, it's still definitely within range of the driver. Don't forget this car is only intermediate class, and not as far accross as the Delta and Ninety Eights. They're a hoot to drive, even with a 2 speed powerglide. Not a car to pick up chicks in....

That 330 has 10:1 or better compression if I remember right, and somewhere's around 250 hp.
Old December 27th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
........ even with a 2 speed Powerglide ........
Most Chev guys know that all Powerglides were 2 speeds and (except for some '53 Pontiacs) were only used in Chevs.

Any Olds guy should know that Olds used the, much superior, 2½ speed Jetaway (ST300).

Norm
Old December 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Just the facts...

i already gave to this charity...

next person in line...

bill
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Most Chev guys know that all Powerglides were 2 speeds and (except for some '53 Pontiacs) were only used in Chevs.

Any Olds guy should know that Olds used the, much superior, 2½???speed Jetaway (ST300).

Norm
Ok, thanks for pointing that out. Guess I'm just not up to the standards you expect of "Any Olds guy" , like you've never made a mistake in the past. I try to stay relatively neutral, in fact I've defended your points of view that have created conflict as just "norm bantering". Even voted to "keep" you in the recent "ban Norm" poll. Maybe I was wrong....or maybe I just need to grow a thicker skin when reading your comments.

So from now on, whenever you post I'll consider the source. I know you have some good info but I think your method of delivery is deliberately designed to invoke retaliation for your own humoristic purposes. Which in turn creates some mixed feelings about you and CO. So now we both know which buttons to press.

BTW I can't find any references to the "2 1/2 speed superior" Jetaway on the web. Lots of stuff on the 2 speed. Maybe you could provide "proof" of that. Here's what I found consistently presented by many sources, but quoted from just one about the Jetaway ST300:

The Super Turbine 300 (Jetaway) was introduced for the 1964 model year as a replacement for the earlier Buick Dynaflow and Oldsmobile/Pontiac Roto Hydramatic transmissions. It was the only automatic offered on GM A platform cars (Buick Skylark, Oldsmobile Cutlass, and Pontiac Tempest) through 1966, and was available on the full-sized Buick LeSabre and Oldsmobile Jetstar 88/Delmont 88 as a cheaper alternative to the three-speed Turbo-Hydramatic. From 1967 to 1969, the Super Turbine 300 was also available on the sporty Pontiac Firebird with the overhead cam in-line six-cylinder (230 and 250 cubic inches) or small V8 engines (326 and 350 cubic inches).
The Super Turbine 300 was discontinued entirely after the 1969 model year in favor of the TH400 and lighter TH350 Turbo-Hydramatic, the latter using the Super Turbine 300's tailhousing.
Super Turbine 300s were the first GM automatics to incorporate multi-case bellhousings (ST300s were bolted behind BOP powerplants along with the Chevrolet inline six) - which were later used with its successors - the THM350 and THM2004R overdrive.
Due to its two-speed with torque converter design, the Super Turbine 300 is often confused with Chevrolet's Powerglide - which was also a two-speed torque converter transmission, but the fact is the ST 300 was of a completely different design and shared absolutely no parts or components with the Chevy unit.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Turbine_300"
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:31 PM

…..... Guess I'm just not up to the standards you expect of "Any Olds guy" ….....
Read it again: This time, paying special attention to my use of “should”.

…..... like you've never made a mistake in the past ….....
Not even once.

It has nothing to do with mistakes. It has everything to do with putting accurate information on “the web”.

…..... Even voted to "keep" you in the recent "ban Norm" poll ….....
That was a funny thread. All that, because someone read something that was not there.

…..... or maybe I just need to grow a thicker skin when reading your comments ….....
Or, you could read what is actually there, instead of reading something that I did not write.

Your choice.

…..... I can't find any references to the "2 1/2 speed superior" Jetaway on the web ….....
There is a lot that you will not find on “the web”.

The “½” has been used to refer to the effect of the “switch pitch” converter that was not used in the PG, and the Jetaway was “superior” enough to be used in an Oldsmobile.

You need to acquire a sense of humor.

Norm
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:38 AM

First time I've heard the term 2-1/2 speed in reference to the switchpitch convertor. I'll have to remember that one
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Read it again:

Or, you could read what is actually there, instead of reading something that I did not write.....Your choice. You need to acquire a sense of humor.

Norm
I can read and know that words can be interpreted many different ways. What you wrote about me is an imperative and opinionated statement suggesting I lack a sense of humor. That's funny coming from you. Especially since this thread is web based and you claim "It has everything to do with putting accurate information on the web"

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,ha, ha, ha, ha,plop! (that's me laughing my head off)

BTW does the jetaway share the same 1/2 feature with the Pontiac and Buick? I can only find references that the POWERGLIDE ( a Chevy Transmission, not OLDS) was the only one that didn't have this feature.
Old December 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

The Jetaway IS a Buick trans (Super Turbine 300) and they do share the same stuff.
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:26 PM

........ I can only find references that ........
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lide-sale.html

Norm
Old December 31st, 2008, 03:04 PM

Or, you could read what is actually there, instead of reading something that I did not write.....Your choice. You need to acquire a sense of humor ........
........ What you wrote about me is an imperative and opinionated statement suggesting I lack a sense of humor ........
How would this statement look if it we attached it to the unedited quote?

........ The “½” has been used to refer to the effect of the “switch pitch” converter that was not used in the PG, and the Jetaway was “superior” enough to be used in an Oldsmobile.

You need to acquire a sense of humor ........
........ What you wrote about me is an imperative and opinionated statement suggesting I lack a sense of humor ........
Manipulating a "quote" in order to advance ones own agenda, is not a new tactic.

It is extremely stupid, but not new.

Norm
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:08 PM

I did my part this year. I saved this from the crusher. The owner said he wanted to stop paying storage on it and was going to take it to the junkyard. So I grabbed it and sold it to a kid that wanted a car to work on with his dad. The car came with new tires, 14" SS wheels, new quarters, a 330 block, new headers, a dual snorkle air cleaner a Jetaway transmission. The kid was pretty happy. It was his first car.

DSC_3744.jpg

DSC_3746.jpg

DSC_3738.jpg

DSC_3739.jpg

DSC_3741.jpg
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:25 PM

When I got mine, it was literally on it's last hope before going to the junkyard. At the time, I worked at a local police impound lot and the car came in as an impound. 30 days went by and nothing from the owner. So the day of the lien sale, several people were bidding on it, 3 were from the local auto scrapyards and recyclers. When the bidding stopped, I won the car, $300, but then the shock. When I went in to get the papers signed to me, the boss handed me the title and told me "it's yours for helping us out over the years". Here's a pic from that fateful day back in 1999. ProjectOlds1-1.jpg It's got a Cutlass front clip but it is an F-85 442 with the original California black n yellow plates, Protect-O-Plate, etc still on it..
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 66 Olznut
When I got mine, it was literally on it's last hope before going to the junkyard. At the time, I worked at a local police impound lot and the car came in as an impound. 30 days went by and nothing from the owner. So the day of the lien sale, several people were bidding on it, 3 were from the local auto scrapyards and recyclers. When the bidding stopped, I won the car, $300, but then the shock. When I went in to get the papers signed to me, the boss handed me the title and told me "it's yours for helping us out over the years". Here's a pic from that fateful day back in 1999. It's got a Cutlass front clip but it is an F-85 442 with the original California black n yellow plates, Protect-O-Plate, etc still on it..

That's pretty cool. As president of the local Oldsmobile club I got an email asking if anyone was interested in the car or it was going to the JY. I asked what he wanted for the car and he said just come and get it. All the spare parts that came with it would have helped to fix her up, but I've got a car in the body shop already and two projects I don't need.
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

How would this statement look if it we attached it to the unedited quote?

Manipulating a "quote" in order to advance ones own agenda, is not a new tactic.

It is extremely stupid, but not new.

Norm
I must have picked that up from you and your ramblings. Welcome to the "Extremely Stupid but Not New Quote Manipulators" club. Darn, I'm too late, I guess you're already a charter member. Good bye Norm. Best of luck being normal in your next life.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
No reply needed if you haven't figured that out by now.
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:51 PM

66OLZNUT, have you fixed her up or are you currently gathering parts?
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:14 PM

Both. It's in the body shop now. Here's the most recent pics taken about 3 weeks ago 1213081336.jpg 1213081334a.jpg 1213081334.jpg Here's the block I found, correct complete '66 400 short block, wasn't gonna even go that road until I spotted it and got it for a song, $330, first pic is after I had it cleaned and checked, 2nd is the day I got it 0521080921.jpg 400olds006.jpg 400olds004.jpg

Last edited by 66 Olznut; December 31st, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old December 31st, 2008, 10:09 PM

Looks like it's coming along nicely. Good luck with it.