General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

sandblaster from pressure washer

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2011, 01:13 PM

Question sandblaster from pressure washer

Does anyone here have experience using a pressure washer adapted to work as a sandblaster?

http://www.ultimatewasher.com/sandblaster.htm

I wonder if the results would be good. I'm thinking of paint removal on the outside of my olds.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:23 PM

So I did some more research into wet sandblasting and while it is doable, there is a risk of damaging exterior body panels, and you will have to address the rust issue.

I found this really good website that covers sandblasting on a DIY scale. http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/sandblasting.htm

Check out the column on the left of this page. It has a bunch of good topics for bodywork.

Cheers,
Rich
Old December 3rd, 2011, 01:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Rocket Richard
Does anyone here have experience using a pressure washer adapted to work as a sandblaster? I wonder if the results would be good. I'm thinking of paint removal on the outside of my olds.
Sometimes a high pressure washer has the effect of sandblasting. I used my washer to help strip my porch deck. Worked really good and minimized the amount of sanding I had to do.

But on a car, if you're looking for a way to wet blast without hurting trim? Soda blasting is the answer.
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:43 AM

I used this initially on my frame and body parts, and had to sand or wire brush everything afterwards, as the water (no surprise) left me with fresh surface rust. I eventually cut out the middle man and started removing paint with the wire brush on my angle grinder instead, saving my smaller air-driven sand blaster for the corners and sticky spots.

In short, not worth the hassle when you're sandblasting metal.
Old December 4th, 2011, 03:56 AM

I used one for stripping bottom paint on my 40 silverton,used about 40 bags of sand and a 13 hp honda blaster,it took two days but left it ready for a wipe down and a new epoxy bottom .I also did my 26 ft bayliner that way took 1 day.I would use a blower to dry immediately and wipe down with metal prep to keep it from rusting.Soda would be the way to go or a good plastic or walnut media.Kinda depends on whats under the paint too like bondo fiberglass etc.