General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Salvage Title question...

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Kimberlies72

Salvage Title question...

Not sure where to post this question...

I thought about buying a 72 Olds with a salvage title...Any info on what I should know...it is completely repaired except the engine needs replaced which I can have done, Appreciate the feedback
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Past Administrator

If your question is strictly about the car I say do it. If it is about the legality and trouble you may or may not have, I would suggest you check with the governing state department (DMV or Dept of Revenue, etc). This assumes you are good with the price and would otherwise do it.

moved thread.
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:17 AM

From my experience, an older car with a salvage title is not a big deal, to me anyway.It may have been totaled, a theft recovery, sold to a bone yard, abandonded, impounded who knows. I have owned 2 Olds and a Cuda and an AMC with salvage titles. My wagon had a salvage title, as I bought it out of boneyard as a running car. When I was transfered to another state and registered it in New Mexico, the salvage tattoo came off of the title, now I am back in Arizona and no salvage title, but I really don't care. My AMC was charitable donation car that ended up in a boneyard, then resold a few times before I got it.The Cuda was a total that I built in body repair school. If your ok with it jump on it, it's just a tattoo on the title. With any car there may be all sorts of hidden damage and poor repairs so be aware, verify the VIN as with any vehicle. Not all cars that have been wrecked have a salvage title.
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Right, a salvage title may not mean much at all. Depends on how much the car was valued at the time of the "brand".
When a car was not valued high, a simple dented quarter panel could have created a salvage title (expensive to fix).
In TX, it is legal to own, run, and sell a car with a salvage title - it is just a brand on the title that follows the vehicle forever.
Just know what you are getting into and you do not have severe hidden damage.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:02 PM

The two problems I have had with salvage titles are, insurance Co , may not wat to insure, and I had problem selling it,lot of people don't want a salvage title car, or they want it for nothing.