General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Safety Inspection in Rhode Island

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:13 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Safety Inspection in Rhode Island

In June I will be having to put my 1970 SX through a Rhode Island Safety Inspection.
Are there any CO members from RI who can recommend a good inspection station which will appreciate and respect my car while putting it up on the lift? I will insist they put padding on the lift, but you know how some people can be very inattentive to the finer points.
Also, I understand there are two types of emmission testing I can have but do not know the differences or the best one to ask for. Any advice there?

Thanks, Peter
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:38 AM

Apparently TSI stands for 2 speed idle test. Emissions are measured at 2 different idle speeds. Transient places the car on a dyno and emisisons are measured in a loaded mode while car is running on the dyno. I would want the TSI less strain on the car . You also are not required to repair the emissions on a car that is 25 years old or older in Rhode Island. See page 25 of thw inspection manual http://www.dmv.ri.gov/documents/manu...nspections.pdf

Last edited by OLDSRALLYE350; April 29th, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:09 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks for the link and the advice about the test.
Peter
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM

I live in RI and the inspection is pretty easy for a car over 25 years. You do not have to pass the emissions part of the test but it will still be performed and you will get a read out of the results. Safety inspection has to be passed which would be the basic stuff like brakes, tires, lights, horn, etc. What part of RI are you in?
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM
70 Cutlass SX

I am in Newport. I use a guy in Portsmouth for my Jetta, and would consider him, but would also drive the car anywhere to get someone with a good rep.
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:37 PM

We're neighbors, I'm in Middletown. I use a local guy who I've been friends with for quite awhile. He doesn't actually do the inspections but takes it to T&T in Tiverton who will do the emissions testing and issue the sticker. Honestly, most inspection places won't do much if the car is obviously well cared for which yours looks to be. You'll get the lights, turn signals, horn, back up lights, etc. but they may not even put it on the rack. Is it disc brakes in the front? If they can see the pads are decent they probably won't even pull a rear wheel to check the drum brakes. Look up Ernies garage in Middletown off of Oliphant Lane. He's straight forward and won't steer you wrong.