General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rock Auto.com experiences...

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2012, 10:18 PM

Rock Auto.com experiences...

Does anyone have experience ordering from rock auto? are they any good? My Suburban needs a Full Tune up plugs, wires, cap rotor fuel and air filter.

It looks like the Suburban still has the Factory installed Cap and Rotor and wires on it at 156K miles and it is well beyond time to replace them.
I have only had it 5 years and put 20K on it.

At the local parts house I am looking the better part of $150 to get what is needed.

I can get what I need from Rock Auto Shipped for $85.00 even with paying for shipping from 3 different warehouses.

I am leaning towards placing the order and saving some money.
Old July 19th, 2012, 11:34 PM

You haven't a auto zone, advanced, or pep boys around?
Even Wal-Mart is cheaper than that!
'Local parts house' should be giving away vaseline, as they're sure packing the prices!!!!!
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:02 AM
MOTORHEAD

My friend Doug has used rock auto for years with good results. I ordered some brake rotors and was pretty impressed with the service and fairly quick delivery.

If you try the rock don't forget the 5% off discount code

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nt-code-2.html
Old July 20th, 2012, 12:45 AM

I have used Rockauto for years and have told others about them never had a head ache from them.
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Hangin' out...

I highly recommend them, even if you just need to look up a part number. Great site, great prices (usually), and fast shipping.
Old July 20th, 2012, 02:04 AM

Great site, pics of the part, interchange listing, good prices, selection of cheapest to most expensive parts. Always have had good experiences with them.
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:42 AM

I have used Rock auto for years for work and home with great results with fast shipping.
Old July 20th, 2012, 04:45 AM

I buy a lot from RA. Saves me time because i plan ahead and have my parts here before i start the project.

It is extremenly rare for me to find a local price cheaper than RA with shipping.

One trick i learned with RA. Sometimes if the part you need is available in multiple brands, switch the brand as it might come from a different warehouse. Like get Wagner instead of Raybestos and you might find Wagner comes from the same warehouse as your air filter. Ive done this many times. Compare you might save some money.
Old July 20th, 2012, 04:50 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

I agree with all the positives above. I will go one step farther. They actually had a power window regulator for an 88 E150 conversion van I was recently working on. Not only did they have it, it was cheaper than everyone elso. More improtantly it was made, assembled, packaged, and shipped in USA! Thumbs up for Rock Auto!
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
You haven't a auto zone, advanced, or pep boys around?
Even Wal-Mart is cheaper than that!
'Local parts house' should be giving away vaseline, as they're sure packing the prices!!!!!
That IS the Autozone prices.
O'Rieley's is like $5 cheaper .
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
I buy a lot from RA. Saves me time because i plan ahead and have my parts here before i start the project.

It is extremenly rare for me to find a local price cheaper than RA with shipping.

One trick i learned with RA. Sometimes if the part you need is available in multiple brands, switch the brand as it might come from a different warehouse. Like get Wagner instead of Raybestos and you might find Wagner comes from the same warehouse as your air filter. Ive done this many times. Compare you might save some money.
Ya I have seen that and have taken time to review my shopping cart. I even called into their CS line to help me consioldate the parts to minimize the different warehouses.
with the cap and Rotor, wires, plugs, air and fuel filters (I picked up a 2nd one for my Daily Driver) I am down to 3 warehouses instead of the 5 when I first started compiling my shopping cart.
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:42 AM

well .. confession time..

I already placed the order, recieved the items and installed all but 2 of them.

I have not installed the fuel filter for my Daily Driver yet. I went to install the fuel filter for my Suburban and found that with the help of the Customer service rep I actually selected the wrong filter. (Mine has screw in ends and I received one with slide on / clip on ends)

I have already contacted them via email to find out how to get the corrected part and I was floored by the response I got and I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar response or if it was just me.

The response I got surprised me when they said they have ordered the correct filter at no cost to me ( a whole whopping .20 cheaper than the one I ordered) and shipped out to me at no cost and that I can dispose of the other one as I see fit. ( the filter I got was a whole whopping 2.29 instead of the 10.99-14.99 from the previously mentioned "local store")

I Will Deffinately be keeping them in mind for future part orders.
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:05 AM

I've ordered some things from Rock Auto, and have been quite happy with them. Never hurts keeping an eye on local parts store ads though, as sometimes you can do quite well. Check the Advance Auto parts web site, as you can usually get 20% off ordering this way, and pick up at your local store. Sometimes they'll even give you a code for $50 bucks off your next purchase. I got lots of stuff over the holidays this way, even all new brake rotors and pads for my daily car, I don't even need yet. Last year, guy on the Corvette forum, had a link to print out 20% Autozone coupons, so picked up some boat batteries. Even gave one to the guy behind me in line buying a $300 rack and pinion steering assembly. He was pretty happy about it. Pays to keep your eyes open.
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:55 AM
1974 DELTA 88

I am overall very pleased with RockAuto. Many times they are the same brand parts as the local stores but much cheaper, even with shipping.

The only issues I ever have had was them sending me the wrong points once, that was sort of a pain. In the end I shipped them back and they gave me a refund. I then got a set from Napa, which once I discovered were cheaper than the RockAuto set, I felt sort of stupid.

Also they sent the wrong temp thermostat once, but that was not their error. It was a gates stat and the box had the correct part number, but the wrong temp thermostat inside. They let me keep it and refunded me. I ended up buying the correct one locally also.

So it is rare there is a problem, but if there is they take care of it. Only trouble is it's not as easy as just driving the part back to a local store.
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM

I use NAPA also with no problems that they haven't always corrected, no questions asked. As a rule, I think their parts, including rebuilds are better quality than some of the other parts stores. That is not to say you can't get good parts from many other stores. But my experience is some of the "discount" stores sell junk as well as quality parts, so just be careful that you don't buy the cheaper part that is their part to adversie they have the best prices. I bought an alternator years ago from Discount Auto Parts that gave a constan squeal. It wasn't from a slipping belt, it was just a lousy, cheap product. I replaced it with a rebuilt from NAPA or only a couple bucks more and never had another problem.
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:17 AM

I've used them for the wifes Expedition, no complaints but all contact was online so no personal communication.
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM

Ive used RA several times, and very happy. They're not always the cheapest, due to shipping. There is always a 5% off code to use, just search.
Old July 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Just the facts...

i'm a RA customer, they've always made me happy. highly recommended.

bill
Old July 20th, 2012, 05:07 PM

After thousands of $ spent with them, not one bad experience. Hard to beat that!
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:02 PM

Awesome site. Very hard to beat their prices
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM

I've used them once and no complaints.. Like the monthly news letter and the 5% off discount code.
Old July 20th, 2012, 07:41 PM

I like the clearance emails!!
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:05 AM

Use them all the time. great prices and service plus parts you can't find anywhere else. I also like their cross reference guides with some parts
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:27 AM

I use rockauto to buy stuff for my customers here in europe
I do''nt know if tere expensive
But the have stuff we can't get from GM anymore
So they help to keep cars on the road in europe
Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:24 AM

I've ordered many items from RA (and will continue to do so) for my S10 with quick shipping. Items may be sent from different warehouses. As for ordering Olds items, only had one situation worth mentioning. Ordered a walker exhaust pipe that turned out to be discontinued (from Walker's warehouse). I didn't see it through the ordering process, but the next day I had 2 voicemails from RA's customer service apologizing for the error and wanted to confirm if I still wanted the other parts. So, you may not hear from them if all goes well, but I GIVE THEM CREDIT for contacting me as soon as they saw a problem and were VERY HELPFUL on the phone. I don't count that as a bad experience, rather as favorable by providing me personal service after the sale.

I look at advanceauto web site to compare prices. I've found discounts 20% or $20-50 on line, made a purchase on the website, then go to the local store and pick up.

I also use Summit Racing . They to ship from supplier warehouses. Bought a cat converter and saved $100 as compared to RA, AA, or Azone. Even bought a clock spring assembly for steering wheel (airbag). Search by P/N.

Jason
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
New 2 Olds

I don't even bother with the parts stores anymore because of the hassle, morons at the counter sometimes, and most times they have to order the part. The store isn't exactly down the street from where I live either.
With RockAuto I can choose brand and price, and if you really are into it, take the part number and punch it into ebay and see if it's cheaper there which it sometimes is. I've ordered many, many things from them over the past five years and have had no problems at all. I had to change an order and customer service was prompt. Only issue I can think of is they often don't pack larger or heavier parts very well, such as alternators or radiators. They got here ok but were obviously banging around inside the box and the radiator had a neck sticking out of the box when it got here. The site is easier to use than Napa's and as I said, you can choose the brand or quality you want.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

ALWAYS had good luck with them, take my buddy's Ford Ranger as an example, you can get Motorcraft parts for like pennies on the dollar through them compared to the dealer and their shipping is lightning fast, don't forget they also have body parts as well.