General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

ring gap location

Old July 25th, 2014, 06:18 AM

ring gap location

hi guys. just putting the engine together and wondered if anyone really knows where to put them? ive read different procedures and its all over the map. what r ur thoughts? paul
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:48 AM
morgan

i posted a similar thread for amusement to see what superstitous methods and quirks people have about ring gaps always hearing things such as '' it doesnt matter they spin around anyway'' 'place gaps 1/3 spaced from each' other 'dont install rings on full moons' now i just space them evenly put the top ring with gap opposite the major thrust side of the cylinder
Old December 23rd, 2015, 08:34 AM

I saw this thread and had to reply.
Right or wrong, I always set my top ring end gap farthest away from the exhaust valve. I set second ring 120 degrees away from that gap but on opposite side of wrist pin. I set the 3 piece rail type oil rings with rail gaps approximately 1 inch away and on either side of expander gap and then set them 180 away from 2nd ring end gap.
Does it make any difference? Probably not but it makes be feel a lot better to do it that way. I was taught that way by my dad when I was 18 years old and have done it ever since. I'm well over 50 and I've never had a problem so far. But, like Pogo said, they turn.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 09:02 AM

Hi guys. Thanks for the latest reply. I stagger all 5 rings off the thrust side with the end gaps. I do believe they rotate and move around at least till there are some deposits or microgrooves stopping the process. I got it running back in May and it runs sweet. I've only put about 500 miles on her so far. Funny I played with an escalade and he couldn't get by me. Last weekend I fogged it for storage and noticed the interlock for the secondary's was stuck. I've only been running primary's. It makes good power. I can't wait for spring.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by wabasto
Hi guys. Thanks for the latest reply. I stagger all 5 rings off the thrust side with the end gaps. I do believe they rotate and move around at least till there are some deposits or microgrooves stopping the process. I got it running back in May and it runs sweet. I've only put about 500 miles on her so far. Funny I played with an escalade and he couldn't get by me. Last weekend I fogged it for storage and noticed the interlock for the secondary's was stuck. I've only been running primary's. It makes good power. I can't wait for spring.
I too found the secondaries in my mildly built 455 (in a '66 Toro) were not opening. I was surprised at how much power and tire smoke it made just on the tiny primaries. On the highway it would max out at 75MPH
Old December 23rd, 2015, 01:09 PM

Makes no difference other than the three oil rings. Stager the oil rings in the oil groove. The other rings and the oil ring as a whole rotate when the engine is running so at times they will line up and at times they will not.