General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Restoration question

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2021, 12:19 PM

Restoration question

I have a complete 1970 Cutlass and many of the parts to restore it. I don't trust myself to complete this project before I die, so my question is looking for anyone experience with restoration shop, to include time, cost and results. If you are concerned about naming particular vendors, feel free to PM or email me at bkeese@comcast.net. I am looking for Olds expertise and an idea of what labor cost to do a restoration, not concerned about parts. Cost from a drivers vs trailer queen would be nice, although this car deserves a rotisserie. To be honest this car is some what rusty, quarters, fenders and trunk. Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 16th, 2021, 01:35 PM
Administrator

I'd say upper $30k for a driver and sky is the limit on a trailer queen. Labor will eat you alive.
Old May 16th, 2021, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by bkeese
I have a complete 1970 Cutlass and many of the parts to restore it. I don't trust myself to complete this project before I die, so my question is looking for anyone experience with restoration shop, to include time, cost and results. If you are concerned about naming particular vendors, feel free to PM or email me at bkeese@comcast.net. I am looking for Olds expertise and an idea of what labor cost to do a restoration, not concerned about parts. Cost from a drivers vs trailer queen would be nice, although this car deserves a rotisserie. To be honest this car is some what rusty, quarters, fenders and trunk. Any help would be appreciated.
If the car is eaten up bad with rust it will not be worth a resto shop doing it..unless it’s sentimental that is. A rusty body alone rotisserie painted will be in the high 30’s to 40,000 range..thats just body
Old May 16th, 2021, 02:12 PM

Is there something special about this car, some sentimental value, or is it a W31? As mentioned, your gonna be into it for $30k-$50k at least

You could check Thornton's, theyre a very high quality shop.
Old May 16th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Banned

I would say pictures and location might help in helping you make the decision. There is a lot of knowledge here.
Old May 16th, 2021, 07:45 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Farming any resto rules 101:
1. Get the estimate in writing.
2. Get the timeline in writing. As well as permission to proceed when problems arise...and they will. You to approve all change orders in writing. Don't expect the timeline to be concrete but it should be realistic. Extension clauses in the contract are not a bad idea. CYA your *** and theirs. Everyone comes out of it with real expectations no surprises.
3. Do your homework. Look at BBB complaints etc...
4. Ask for references with pictures. Visit satisfied customer's cars in person if poss. At min get phone numbers to talk to them and ask how their experience was.
5. Go look at the shop. **** hole run. Should be clean and organized.
6. What is your expectation? Nut n bolt or nice driver? How much work can you do? How many parts can you provide. Do they accept other vendors' parts?
7. Expect $150/hr labor. Metalwork will be the prevailing wage. 500 hrs labeor=75K then add in parts. Very easy to exceed 100K for a car that's worth a bit less. You gotta just want to do it and not care too much about return dollars.
8. Start with the most complete rust-free example you can find. Even an older well-done resto. Restoring a $25-35 K car will actually cost less than a rolling rust bucket.
A documented car with many original parts will yield far better results unless you are going the resto-mod route. Hard to put a hard number on the resto-mods.
9. Hold back as much money as possible. Make milestone payments only...get that in writing.
10 Nice car just do it.

Restoration and paint jail sucks. Do it right and it should be a good experience.
Old May 17th, 2021, 06:34 AM

I have owned this car for 30 years, but not driven much. It does have the original engine, with a spun bearing. It still has all of it's original W31 parts and it is a Rally Red, Black interior 4 speed, bucket seat car. I've thought about selling it and buying something similar. I've got no problem dropping $75k into it, but I don't want to double or triple that. I think I'll start contacting the names you guys have provided about.

Thanks
Old May 17th, 2021, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by bkeese
I have owned this car for 30 years, but not driven much. It does have the original engine, with a spun bearing. It still has all of it's original W31 parts and it is a Rally Red, Black interior 4 speed, bucket seat car. I've thought about selling it and buying something similar. I've got no problem dropping $75k into it, but I don't want to double or triple that. I think I'll start contacting the names you guys have provided about.

Thanks
Call Garner Restoration in Sarasota Florida, they do mainly Olds W cars, they know them like the back of there hand, honest and reliable team. These guys are phenomenal at the work..I believe their rate is 85-90 per hour, not 150.00... https://garnercars.com/about/