General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Request for help

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2016, 05:48 AM

Request for help

Good morning,

I was working on a reproduction fender for my father's 71 Cutlass, and after test fitting the front trim piece it was obvious that it didn't fit right. So after looking at the forum of the fender I realized it wasn't molded to as tight of a specification as the original. So the predicament is that the spot welds will need to be separated, and re-welded, but I do not have access to a welder.

I was curious if there might be someone in the Austin, TX area that has a welder, and would be willing to let me and my father come to your garage/shop to use said welder. I can not imagine this taking more than 15 minutes or so to get it set, and re-weld the spot welds. I would be more than happy to provide lunch, beer, or whatever payment is deemed necessary for the use of the space, tools, and your hospitality. If anyone has any suggestions far as who to contact I would appreciate any assistance.

Thank you
Old October 24th, 2016, 08:49 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Post a picture of the offending spot welds. Im envisioning the eyebrow area above the headlight? We could offer you alternative advise with a pic/accurate description... Also shop around in your area for a good body shop or restoration shop. Ill bet it wouldnt cost much to "adjust" the offending area. And its a plus for you to make good relationships with shops for future needs.(trans, engine body etc...)