General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Report from Fall Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Report from Fall Carlisle

Spent Friday at Carlisle. Crowds and vendors were down just a little, but that may have been due to the threatening skies. The report was for rain and there were sprinkles throughout the day, but fortunately the rain didn't start in earnest until 7:30 or so in the evening.

I got a few good deals:

1984 Factory Electrical Manual $1
Factory training manual for the Computer Command Control system $1
Brand new blue leather aftermarket steering wheel for the wagon
Two pair of Mechanix brand gloves for $17.50 (total for the two pair, not each)
GM factory deep pan for a TH400 $5
Very straight front bumper core for my 66, along with a spare trunklid
Auto dimming mirror with map lights $25

Highlight of the displays was one of the fully restored GM Futureliners, up close and personal. Talk about a high-dollar resto! They went so far as to reproduce the wide whitewall tires that have "General Motors Parade of Progress" molded in the sidewalls. Walked by Ed Fochi's booth, but missed RocketRaider, who likely was also out looking for Olds parts.

There were a number of Oldsmobiles in the car corral.

Nice looking 68 H/O that had been sold, though I wonder about the metal foil H/O emblem on the glovebox instead of the orignal one.

Nice looking red 67 442 with a $15K asking price. Of course, I always wonder why someone puts that much money into a car then doesn't spring for $500 to replace the peeling, dented front bumper.

Nice looking 70 442 convertible. Of course, I always wonder why someone goes through all the trouble and expense of restoration details like new cad plating on the brake booster and M/C cover, then incorrectly paints W-30 side stripes on a non-W-car.

Several admitted 442 clones, including a 67 and 71.

There was a 1984 Cutlass Supreme 4dr with 14,000 original miles for about $6K. Unfortunately it was a V6 car or I might have been tempted. Two blue FWD Supreme convertibles, both with the DOHC 3.4, were $5.5K and $7.5K. I'm still thinking about one of those.

And OF COURSE, the lone 68 442 that I saw in the car corral had incorrect W-36 stripes.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:04 PM

I was there today (Saturday), and the weather was beautiful. It seemed quite crowded as well. I didn't fare so well in the parts hunt, but I did pick up some literature. I know you said elsewhere that you thought there were more Olds parts in recent years than in earlier years, but I didn't really see much at all. What did you think?

If you are a Ford or Chevy person, you've got it made. If you're anything else, you've got a lot of walking between possible vendors. Yes, Pontiac is fairly well represented as well, but while I didn't walk 100% of the show field before finally getting too tired to keep going (I was there about 7 hours), I can recall only three vendors with significant Oldsmobile stuff other than Fusick.

Now, before anyone chimes in to tell me that I'm nuts and that there was lots of Olds stuff there, let me say that I didn't look under every table nor paw through every cardboard box of unsorted stuff, and as I said above, I didn't walk 100% of the field (more like about 80%). But this was my first ever trip to Carlisle, and while every car person should experience this at least once in their lives, I doubt I will go back. There just isn't enough Olds stuff to make the drive (about 6 hours each way for me) and all the walking worth it. When I DID find an Olds parts seller and asked about something, if he did have it at all, it was usually not with him at the show but rather was "in the warehouse back home." Yes, I left my contact info with him, but I would have been just as good searching him out in Hemmings or online.

Don't get me wrong, though. It IS fun to walk the car corral, and it is fun to be walking among so much old car stuff because you DO see some unusual things. I took photos of many of the Oldsmobiles there, including most or all of the ones Joe mentions, and I'll post them on here in the next day or so. By the way, Joe, did you notice that the seller of that 14,000 mile '84 Cutlass Supreme accepted Visa, MasterCard, or Discover for payment? It said so right on that sheet of paper taped to the windshield. (But not American Express? Where's Karl Malden when you need him?)

Last edited by jaunty75; October 3rd, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

Nice looking red 67 442 with a $15K asking price. Of course, I always wonder why someone puts that much money into a car then doesn't spring for $500 to replace the peeling, dented front bumper.

seller probably sprung his dying 401k buying it to flip,and cant afford another bumper.

i see that a lot lately.

i dont miss Carlisle,i like the hornet's nest swap meet in NC a lot better.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
By the way, Joe, did you notice that the seller of that 14,000 mile '84 Cutlass Supreme accepted Visa, MasterCard, or Discover for payment? It said so right on that sheet of paper taped to the windshield. (But not American Express? Where's Karl Malden when you need him?)
how about S&H green stamps?

Last edited by agtw31; October 3rd, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:46 AM

So no real Olds Performance parts? Guess I didn't miss much then. Guess it is all for the better. I have the new Olds powered truck home and while it feels like a dog the exhaust probably has a lot to do with it. Hopefully before winter we can get that engine yanked out and on an engine stand and the SBC out of the wife's car and into the truck. It will make for a good get around town/work/junkyard run truck. And not bad for $700.
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:56 AM
"me somebody" site member

Was there Friday, also saw a white '67 W30, at least was purported to be one, with some racing history (the same car offered on Ebay/craigslist some months back) for $36K. Looked like a decent solid car, though something wierd was going on with the rear wheel wheel lips on the bottoms (make just have been cut out for clearance back in the day) and just an OK paint job. Had light blue interior and auto on the column. Engine comp. looked a little crusty, but correct as far as I could see (red inner fenders, OIA setup, etc; will post photos later). When I say "purported", by the way, its not as a slight, only wanted to make clear that I am not in a position to cerify the veracy of the claim. Looked like the real deal to my eyes anyway.

The car was on the other side of the fence from the car corral down towards the first row, in the same location some years back there was a 4 speed '63 Jetfire that was a real diamond in the rough.

Last edited by aliensatemybuick; October 4th, 2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old October 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Took the ride out there on Thursday. The day was a little cloudy and cool to start but better after lunch when the sun came out. Had a few real nice finds there.
A near mint, almost looks NOS, left side 69 OAI scoop, and 2 69 442 air cleaners. Plus I picked up a couple of deals that I purchased off Craigslist earlier in the month and got to meet a couple of nice people out there. I usually go on Saturday, but now thinking Thursday is the day for finding parts.
While talking to one of the regular Olds vendors there on row B, a guy came up with some parts he was selling. I wasnt approached or Id have been all over this. The guy sold a pair of 70 sport mirrors, some emblems and a few trim pieces to the vendor for $100. After the guy left, the mirrors, with the gaskets, brackets ect, were put out on the table with a $375 price tag!
There was also a Red 67 442 hard top that I saw on Thursday for 12,900. The car was leaving the fairgrounds and was probably sold because it was very nice for the price!
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I know you said elsewhere that you thought there were more Olds parts in recent years than in earlier years, but I didn't really see much at all. What did you think?
Depends on what you were looking for. I thought long and hard about a set of 3A heads with Harlan Sharp shaft-mount rockers for $150 (and probably less had I tried). I just didn't want to cart the heads around just for the rockers. I saw lots of Olds resto and used parts, not so much aftermarket performance parts. There was an original 1970 W-30 intake with a $2500 asking price. I suspect it is still there today (Sunday). My friend got a brand new Pertronix conversion for a GM distributor for $40.
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
"me somebody" site member

Here are the pics of the 67 W30 I mentioned above that most everyone seems to have missed:

Old October 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Here are the pics of the 67 W30 I mentioned above that most everyone seems to have missed:
I think we missed it because it was outside the fence. I think the owner was avoiding paying whatever the fee was to be in the car corral. Given that it's $95, I can't say as I blame him!

Since you could get in and out of the show by just getting your hand stamped, it was no problem to go look at the car if you knew it was there and it wasn't too far from a gate. But many people might not think to look outside the show area, even if the car is right up against the fence like this one was.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 5th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.