General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Replacing rollers on the front windows 68 442

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2019, 08:49 PM

Replacing rollers on the front windows 68 442

I am replacing all the rollers on all 4 windows of my 68 442 convertible. The front windows both have a 15/16" roller attached to the glass bracket. I would like to replace both rollers without removing the glass but it seems trouble as the glass could break even if one is careful. As anyone else takled these rollers in the past? Thank you for your input in advance.
Old April 20th, 2019, 09:17 AM

I've not broken any door glass, but have only changed rollers on loose glass that's been pulled from the door. Are the rollers damaged or are you thinking of just doing them because your replacing the other ones?
Old April 21st, 2019, 08:53 AM

All my windows were hard to open so i took all (4) out and started replacing all the rollers, cleaned all the tracks, lubricated with silicone grease. Both quarter windows in the back are done and the difference is amazing. I replaced all the front window ones except the one's attached to the frame that holds the glass. I really don't want to remove the glass as i am worried about breaking the glass while i remove the 15/16" rollers (one on each window) i looked for the type that as a threaded stud but i don't think they make them in that size so i may try the place threads on my new one's. They are not bad but they are 51 years old and the nylon is contaminated by petrolium grease and after seeing the results from the quarter windows.....I am also replacing the rubber window channel and convertible top weather stripping around the windows and front of the convertible top. I opened a pandora box now i need to close it properly. One of the quarter windows also needs adjustment to close properly but that's an easy fix.