General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Replaced gas tank - fuel vent

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2011, 05:10 PM

Replaced gas tank - fuel vent

I've replaced my old gas tank from the 62 Super 88 with one from a Starfire. The replacement has a vent on it (with a line out), the old one on the 88 didn't.

Should I just plug up the vent hole with some JB Weld or something, or just leave it open?

thanks

Justin
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Most auto part stores carry those little caps for vacuum lines. One of those would be simpler I think.
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM

I guess I'll try that. I'm assuming that the vent is for engines with AC?
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by justinj
I guess I'll try that. I'm assuming that the vent is for engines with AC?

You're absolutely right about the gas tank was from an Air car. Hope it works for you as they are really noted for leaking on to lower seams!!!
Old July 10th, 2011, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Most auto part stores carry those little caps for vacuum lines. One of those would be simpler I think.

X's TWO !!
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Not trying to hijack the thread, however I have a question along the same lines. My 1967 Cutlass has 2 lines running out of the fuel tank as pictured on some of the other threads, but instead of a vent there is a solid tube linking them together. My tank builds up a tremendous amount of pressure on a hot day. Would this pressure cause fuel to push past the the float valve in my carb and flood the heads with fuel vapor causing an ocaisional backfire upon startup.
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Not trying to hijack the thread, however I have a question along the same lines. My 1967 Cutlass has 2 lines running out of the fuel tank as pictured on some of the other threads, but instead of a vent there is a solid tube linking them together. My tank builds up a tremendous amount of pressure on a hot day. Would this pressure cause fuel to push past the the float valve in my carb and flood the heads with fuel vapor causing an ocaisional backfire upon startup.
You have the wrong gas cap.

The cap for Vented tanks is a solid cap
The cap for NON-Vented tanks has a relief vent in the cap.

You need a cap for a non vented tank, then you won't get that pressure buildup.

Its easy to get these mixed up because they sell the caps saying Vented/Non Vented, but they are referring to the cap & not the tank, you need the opposite cap for the type of tank.
Old November 21st, 2011, 01:21 PM

Question 67 vent

Hi all I got a gas tank problem to it a 67 442 there is 2 vent tubes I have a Non-vented Gas cap it builds up pressure and gas comes out what could it be I had this problem since I bought it Its hook up like the picture in the manual, I don't get it Please Help Steve
Old November 21st, 2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sammieolds
Hi all I got a gas tank problem to it a 67 442 there is 2 vent tubes I have a Non-vented Gas cap it builds up pressure and gas comes out what could it be I had this problem since I bought it Its hook up like the picture in the manual, I don't get it Please Help Steve
Your two vent lines are not really vent lines, as one should be your vent that attaches to your filler neck to vent air from your tank when filling up with gas, the other is for the fuel return iine from the engine to assist in the cooling of fuel, more commonly called as a fuel return line.
Old November 21st, 2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by chequenman
Your two vent lines are not really vent lines, as one should be your vent that attaches to your filler neck to vent air from your tank when filling up with gas, the other is for the fuel return iine from the engine to assist in the cooling of fuel, more commonly called as a fuel return line.
Not on a 67! There is a plastic vent tube filter that goes on the end of those 2 lines, and is clipped behind the bumper!

1/2 wy down the page -
http://www.inlinetube.com/New%20Prod...Oldsmobile.htm
Old November 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM

Vent

Not on the 67 I have one of those I have the 2 hoses going to the top of the rear theres a clip But I get a lot of pressure and gas comes out of hose end and is I open the cap It will come out there to when its full
I ftryed some foam filter down the tube from a lawn mower filter ?
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:02 PM

Not on a 67! There is a plastic vent tube filter that goes on the end of those 2 lines, and is clipped behind the bumper!

1/2 wy down the page -
http://www.inlinetube.com/New%20Prod...Oldsmobile.htm
WELL, I went to the inlinetube page and it makes reference for the '70-'72 A Body model for what I think you are refering to and maybe you are right, but I see Steve is having a serious venting problem.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Yes, steve is having serious problems. My problem initially from above was a weak float. I cured that. My 2 lines are looped together with a piece of steel tubing now. I'm also running a non- vented tank cap. The only time it leaks is if I have the *** end down hill with a full tank of fuel. The pressure is minimal on a 100* + day.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:20 PM

Up date on vent

Hi every one I ordered the 2 vent lines from inline tube ,When I got them it was the same thing I was useing 1 line had a filter in it w/a staple holding it in so I but a small clamp to hold it in place 2nd hose had nothing I put a small amount of a lawn mower filter in it and clamped it I blew in and out to make sure I had air coming & going This time I stuck the hoses on the clip by the filler neck and ran them as high as I could Sure enough it worked no pressure or gas coming out of tubes,I spent $38 for these tubes w/shipping and all I really needed was to run the one I had longer,under the trunk area
Thank for the info Steve
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:58 AM

67 gas tank venting

I'm reading your reply to a fuel tank venting question and I'm interested in knowing a little more about how you fixed your venting problem. When you say you looped the two tubes with a piece of steel tube do you mean you connected the two hose together to make one tube? I can see how this would fix the leaking problem but how does it provide any venting?
Old May 8th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Administrator

I answered you email. Plus to answer this question, it doesn't provide any venting with my setup, however it does provide a bit of expansion similar to say an anti hammer riser in a water line. I'll probably mess with it this summer when the temps get higher and search for a vented cap.