General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Removal of Dash Panel?

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2016, 05:15 AM

Removal of Dash Panel?

I'd like to remove the faux wood dash panel around the gauges so I can clean/touch it up. Is there a trick to removing it? '70 CS.
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:40 AM

The gauge panel can be removed quite easily. Four screws going vertically, two in front of the gauges going into the dash pad, then two going through the light covers and diffusers (if equipped) or blank panels into the bottom of the gauge panel. Tilt the top towards you and pull up and out.

The woodgrain should be glued in place. I'm not convinced it could be removed without damaging the panel. Woodgrain and panels are available repop, but pricey. If you go that route, buy both from the same supplier. There are multiple patterns out there and they may not line up. Specifically, I know the panel from Year One and the woodgrain from Fusick do NOT agree.

The black part of the panel can be repainted easily. The chrome plating is tougher - it doesn't respond as well to using a paint pen as the dash highlights do.
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:48 AM

Try to heat it from the back side with a hair dryer to soften the glue and then work the wood grain with a putty knife slowly until it can be removed. Be patient because it will bend and then hard to get it to lay flat when reinstalled. I do have a few extra that are not bent if you run into a problem.
FYI
The bezel Fusick sells is pretty close to an exact copy of the original and will accommodate both original wood grain or the reproduction from H&H. If parts place still sells one the last one I bought was wrong and the wood grain would not fit.
Old December 9th, 2016, 08:56 AM

I found all the screws, thanks. The wood is actually ok, I just wanted to clean it all up one and touch up the black and chrome/trim and figured it'd be easier with the panel removed. It seems that those plates underneath with the holding screws are both cracked in half though, I might try gluing the but if not are there replacements? FYI I've been using Testors silver model paint for some of the trim and it looks good. I'm not sure about the chrome trim rings around the gauges yet, I'm hoping a good metal cleaner will work there.
Old December 9th, 2016, 09:42 AM

Be careful with cleaners on the chrome. Use a mild soap/water mixture or maybe some Windex. I used some Super Clean and ended up taking the finish off. You're dealing with 46 year old plastic and it doesn't take much to ruin it. If it looks presentable I'd leave it alone. I wish I had.

Correction....70Post says do not use Windex or window cleaner with ammonia. He is way more knowledgeable than me on this stuff so I stand corrected.
Thanks Patton for your input.

Last edited by Cincinnati Rick; December 13th, 2016 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Misinformation Correction
Old December 9th, 2016, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by PM70
I found all the screws, thanks. The wood is actually ok, I just wanted to clean it all up one and touch up the black and chrome/trim and figured it'd be easier with the panel removed. It seems that those plates underneath with the holding screws are both cracked in half though, I might try gluing the but if not are there replacements? FYI I've been using Testors silver model paint for some of the trim and it looks good. I'm not sure about the chrome trim rings around the gauges yet, I'm hoping a good metal cleaner will work there.
Like he said above...you're not cleaning chrome, your cleaning plastic. Most solvents will remove the finish quite quickly. If you do wind up buying new woodgrain, make sure that you compare the different types out there not just the vendors. The 1970, 71 and 72 cutlasses all had different styles of "wood grain" finishes. You could also run into the issues (like I did) of having a 1971 that had 1972 interior options installed new at the factory. That particular problem caused lots of returns of products to different stores.
Old December 9th, 2016, 11:17 AM

All good to know. I figured that is all plastic, thanks for confirming; I usually just use a good glass cleaner or have started using a diluted mixture of borax and water. Im finding Borax diluted in different amounts is great for cleaning anything including carpets, and when mixed with baking soda does well on removing odors. My car came from a former smoker so Im tasked with getting all the smells out, hoping the soft-top hasnt absorbed too much.

Thanks for all the input!
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:10 AM

For the broken plates, are they on the underside of the gauges, above the switches? About 1" x 4"? Depending on options, its either a black block off plate, or there's a metal diffuser holding dash lights and a blue translucent plate. The blue plates are available new repop. I don't know about the blank plates. I have one or two laying around, and a parts wanted post would get you plenty of options.
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by oddball
For the broken plates, are they on the underside of the gauges, above the switches? About 1" x 4"? Depending on options, its either a black block off plate, or there's a metal diffuser holding dash lights and a blue translucent plate. The blue plates are available new repop. I don't know about the blank plates. I have one or two laying around, and a parts wanted post would get you plenty of options.
They're blue. I appreciate the advice re: parts wanted post. Meanwhile, where do you think I'd find those blue plates new? OPGI, Fusik? Or is it he blue ones you may have? Id be interested if you're willing to part with them.
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by PM70
They're blue. I appreciate the advice re: parts wanted post. Meanwhile, where do you think I'd find those blue plates new? OPGI, Fusik? Or is it he blue ones you may have? Id be interested if you're willing to part with them.

Here are the OPGI lenses.

https://www.opgi.com/searchpart.asp?...rd=dash+filter
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
Thats what I thought at first, but then saw the price and second guessed myself. I'll see if I can glue up the ones I have first. Ok, Thanks!!
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:21 PM

I don't know what those lenses actually do. At first I thought that they allowed light from the gauge cluster to filter down on the dash controls but they don't. Maybe with the courtesy/dash light option there are lamp holders that they are used for.
Old December 12th, 2016, 12:50 PM

I have many of those blue lenses & sell them for $4.00 each plus shipping. They will have a few TINY cracks around the screw hole but are still very useable. I have thousands of other parts also.
Old December 12th, 2016, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by oldspackrat
I have many of those blue lenses & sell them for $4.00 each plus shipping. They will have a few TINY cracks around the screw hole but are still very useable. I have thousands of other parts also.
Sent you a PM. Thanks -
Old December 12th, 2016, 06:51 PM

Be CAREFUL on cleaning the "chrome" surfaces. Anything abrasive (like the Borax you mention) or even a window type cleaner will likely remove all or part of it. It's a super thin layer of vaporized aluminum that was applied and it may have had some sort of clear coating applied on top of that BUT.....regardless of all that it is very, very thin and not very durable (especially after years of aging).

Water, a very soft towel and a diluted dishwashing soap is as far as I would go on those surfaces. If you look at that "chrome" wrong it seems like it wants to come off

Window cleaner with ammonia?...probably even worse.
Old December 13th, 2016, 03:13 AM

Since you have everything apart anyway... You might want to replace all of those dash bulbs with new LED's. I did that about 2 years ago and the added visibility that you get at night is amazing. I found them cheap on Amazon. Here's the link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...iglink22539-20
Old December 13th, 2016, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Be CAREFUL on cleaning the "chrome" surfaces. Anything abrasive (like the Borax you mention) or even a window type cleaner will likely remove all or part of it. It's a super thin layer of vaporized aluminum that was applied and it may have had some sort of clear coating applied on top of that BUT.....regardless of all that it is very, very thin and not very durable (especially after years of aging).

Water, a very soft towel and a diluted dishwashing soap is as far as I would go on those surfaces. If you look at that "chrome" wrong it seems like it wants to come off

Window cleaner with ammonia?...probably even worse.
Got it, thanks. I appreciate the info and warm soapy water it will be.
Old December 13th, 2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cincinnati Rick
I don't know what those lenses actually do. At first I thought that they allowed light from the gauge cluster to filter down on the dash controls but they don't. Maybe with the courtesy/dash light option there are lamp holders that they are used for.
Depends on the options on the car. The main lights are part of the courtesy harness. I **think** the convertible and cruise got an additional lamp. Some had one light holder, some had two, some had none. Some didn't have all the available light positions filled. I don't know the details of all the mix and match, though.

But, it should be either a black metal light holder/grill behind the dash with blue diffuser screwed on from underneath, or a black plastic cover panel bolted in from the back.

I have one of the black fillers, and three or four blue diffusers. All the diffusers have cracks or discoloration. Some minor, some not. I'd recommend connecting with the pack rat here.