General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Remoing Speedometer Cluster 1960 Olds

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2013, 12:55 PM

Remoing Speedometer Cluster 1960 Olds

Anyone had any experience with removing/replacing the speedometer cluster on a 1960 Oldsmobile? My odometer isn't working and I have two backup clusters that should plug right in. Question I have is do you have to remove radio, drop steering wheel, and remove heater/vent controls? I suspect the service guys had a short cut for getting these things in and out of there back in the day but I haven't figured it out yet.

Many thanks,
Mark
Old February 2nd, 2013, 11:29 AM

Do you have a factory service manual? What does it say? A parts manual diagram might show the speedo cluster attaching points? I suspect the Safety Spectrum ribbon/tube is going to be in the way of the odometer mechanism.

If you have two other clusters, are you not able to tell how it is attached to the dash? Owned a '60 back in the day. Vague recollection is that the cluster tilts out, toward the steering wheel, and that steering wheel removal makes the job a whole lot simpler.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:04 PM

Speedo cluster

Hi Dave ... was hoping you would reply. I do have the factory service manual and it doesn't say or show anything at all about the brackets behind the cluster. In fact, if you look at the illustration in the electrical section of the book, it appears as if the cluster pulls out directly toward the steering wheel. That's not the case at all, because the four bolts that hold it on screw on from behind.

It's very difficult to see where the brackets attached to when you're upside down under the dash. One friend who does dashes on older Chevy's and Pontiacs played with it for two hours, was able to loosen it up, but couldn't get it out. He backed off saying it could take four or five hours to get out and he was worried that he might mess something up.

I suspect removing the steering wheel will help. The manual says also remove the heater and vent controls, the chrome strip that holds it in, and the light switches. But that's where it ends.

Mark
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:44 AM

Mark,

When it comes to 1960, I am only going from memory. I owned mine from 1963 to 1968.

Yes, getting to the bolts is not easy. Nor argument there. The manual would know, but I do not appreciate why heater control has to be removed. But then, I do not recall where the heater control is located. Thought it was well below the speed console, the right of the steering wheel.

That the console bolts in from the back does not mean it does not come out from the front. I would expect there to be some type of brackets under the bolts that draw the speedo housing down tight to the dash opening. Does the parts manual indicate the presence of these brackets? Unless the bolts and those brackets are completely removed, not merely loosened, it will prove very difficult to remove the cluster.

You need to talk to someone who has been there/done that to get a definitive answer. To that end, I have sent you a PM.

Good luck!
Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:00 PM

Thanks ... Responded to your PM.

Regards,
Mark
Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

http://forums.aaca.org/f138/1960-old...al-194173.html
Old February 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the link. It makes sense -- exactly what I'm seeing and struggling with.

Mark
Old February 4th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

I used to make a good living spinning back speedo's when it was still legal... too bad I couldn't help you with this one.
Old February 5th, 2013, 06:04 AM

Smile Speedo

Jet Blue has a sales on fares ... can I interest you in flying to the East Coast and making a house call???

Regards,
Mark
Old November 22nd, 2020, 07:01 PM

Good Evening.

Do you remember what all had to be done to remove the speedometer?

I have a guy locally who can fix it; however, he refuses to remove it from the car.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 07:25 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Tim Looney
Good Evening.

Do you remember what all had to be done to remove the speedometer?

I have a guy locally who can fix it; however, he refuses to remove it from the car.
Can't blame him .
Here's an IPB of the '60 dash ;