General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rear Seat Convertible

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM

Rear Seat Convertible

I decided to remove the rear seat for the winter after reading another post about mice and how they like it there. Sure enough I did find a nest. I have a question: Is it normal to have that fabric hog ringed to the bottom of the seat, would that have been factory? I also found an electrical device attached to nothing that I can only assume was the previous owners attempt at an alarm. To be honest I'm not concerned about that but the mice thing has me crazy. I've tried Irish Spring soap (half a bar under each seat), rodent poison (did work as evidenced by the two dead rodents I found, doesn't prevent them though), natural peppermint oil (expensive stuff!) on cotton *****. Obviously nothing worked in prevent the little bastards from making home in my car. I've also heard male urine will keep them away but I'm not about to **** in my car to test that theory. Maybe a bowl of that and a bowl of anti-freeze in there over the winter. I don't have any other ideas, anyone else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00387.JPG (146.1 KB, 39 views)
DSC00392.JPG (144.4 KB, 51 views)
DSC00393.JPG (126.1 KB, 44 views)
DSC00390.JPG (146.2 KB, 44 views)
DSC00391.JPG (145.2 KB, 38 views)
Old September 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM

I have heard bounce dryer sheets work, I don't know but I did put them in my car - everywhere, even in the trunk and no rodents and I know there are mice everywhere around me as my cat brings one home about everyday
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:08 PM

Nasty...
I had some fabric like that under my seat, too.
THose are alarm sensors. Not sure what type.
How did the critters get in? Door open? Rust holes? windows down? I always wondered about this.
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:29 PM

I had one in the back of my drivers seat and it ate part of one of the broadcast sheets. I could not figure out how it got in that area too. They can eat wiring and do nasty stuff. A covered car in a garage is a perfect place dark and cool. They like dark and cool.

Lee
Attached Images
scan0038.jpg (86.4 KB, 11 views)
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Ben

get a cat to live in your garage.
The mice are only sleeping in there, they are leaving to go eat. Cat will get them before long.

I have not seen any fabric like that under any of the back seats i've done, but I haven't done any convertibles yet.
I can tell you that it wasn't there in my 68 delmont 88 convertible when i pulled its back seats out though.

Be sure to wear a respirator when taking the covers & cotton off. That mouse/rat ****/poop stuff can cause some bad lung issues if inhaled. Good idea to squirt it with water so it won't become airborn when you are removing it.
Old September 12th, 2011, 04:54 PM

A mouse can crawl thru a hole the size of a nickel. So any hole were a grommet is over sized or missing will allow a mouse to enter your car.
Old September 12th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Come to think of it, the fabric I found under my seat was more like a jute material. I think it was originally hung behind the seat back from the two hook tabs as seen in this picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsalb...57602930020786
Reason why is that it did have two holes in it that lined up with the tabs. It was not hog ringed though.
There is supposed to be a thin board and jute material hung from those two tabs.
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:45 PM

I'm thinking that red piece was added by the first owner, who knows what for. I wish I knew how they are getting in because I'd fix that in a heartbeat. The burlap like material was either eaten or just dry rotted from age. The whitish cotton like material looks like it was laid in two strips on each end of the seat. The mice liked that a lot as most of the nest was made of that.

I'll try the Bounce dryer sheets and see how that works. It's just frustrating at this point to see something you care about get eaten and ruined by rodents. I only found two dead ones under the seat so maybe I was lucky. As far as squeezing in a hole the size of a nickel I've heard they only need a hole that their head can fit through and the rest is easy. I hate mieces to pieces!
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:00 AM
72 Olds CS

I am curious about preventing mice too, I havent had any issues yet but last year I found some evidence of mice near my bikes, this year I dont want them near my cutlass or bikes
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:05 AM

those dirty rats!!
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:17 AM

try moth ***** (camphor)

Ok I hear the snickering.... seriously try mothballs ( camphor) if you don't get a cat! not the nicest smell sorta like that 90 year old women on the bus, but rodents do not like that smell either , works on skunks and chipmunks too....
Old September 13th, 2011, 05:53 AM

We have used regular and lavender scented moth ***** in our snowmobiles during the summer and into our trailer during the winter and have not had mice. We put a few of them into an old sock under the seats and in the engine compartment or in the trailer cupboards. The lavender scented smell better, it is also a case of less is more for the scent. I used the dryer sheets in there also, I put one in each of the tubs we store towels and bedding in for the winter. Have not decided if I want the smell in the car, maybe underneath it.