General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rear Drum Questions

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2018, 04:13 PM

Rear Drum Questions

Ok lets start here I replaced the rear drums and wheel cylinder because the rear brakes were not functioning at all. Basically I been stopping with the front disc brakes for months now. That being said swapping the hardware was a pain but I got it done. The problem is when I press the brake with the drum off I don't see the shoes expand (they also did this before I changed them) . I went ahead and bleed the rear passenger side drum using the one man technique with a bottle and thought I was doing it wrong until i noticed that dirty fluid was now in the bottle. Still thought I was doing it wrong so I headed to the shop to have them bleed the lines. While driving to the shop I noticed my brakes were now firm again and stopping on a dime. Before someone ask yes I connected the every component correct to the wheel cylinder and shoes. I also did a slight adjustment to the drum brakes but didn't finish totally adjusting them. Although I have firm brakes again what would stop the cylinder from expanding the shoes. At 1st I thought the line was the issue but turns out the fluid is flowing through. Could it be more air in the lines causing this?
Old March 30th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Administrator

You don't want to operate the brakes with the drums off, you'll blow out the wheel cylinders and make a mess, probably ruin the shoes with fluid contamination. Did you change the rubber line to the rear differential? You may still have some air in the lines.
Old March 31st, 2018, 03:09 AM

internal rust will lock up a wheel cylinder. you could pull the drum off part way to check rear wheel cylinder operation. if the shoes do not move, replace the wheel cylinders with new. the drum should turn freely with no brake applied. the star adjuster is often overlooked, I always remove and run the adjuster in and out full travel, clean and lube if necessary. good luck
Old March 31st, 2018, 09:20 AM

You should have a very slight drag on the drum. If it's to far out the wheel cylinders will not have enough travel to push them out far enough. Brake fluid should be changed periodically (every few years on a daily driver), you may have gotten something into the wheel cylinders, but check the rubber line first as Eric suggested. As shiftbyear suggested, change the wheel cylinders if you didn't already do so. They are still available in auto part stores. Good luck.
Old March 31st, 2018, 10:59 AM

Thanks guys! I mentioned I changed the wheel cylinders when I changed the shoes and drums. So basically everything is new except the backing plate.Not sure what the rear differential is but I'll google it or look in the manual. Crazy part is I only bled the wheel cylinder that was leaking and my brakes were stiff again. I will bleed the rest but after 10 hours of fooling around and getting parts etc etc I had to take a break. Also when I said that when I pumped the brakes and the shoes didn't move everything was connected I just had the drum off. Is that not how you test to see if the drum was working.
Old March 31st, 2018, 11:47 AM
Administrator

The rear differential or rear end, is the part the wheels, brakes, and backing plates are attached to. You need to bleed brakes in pairs, both fronts and/or backs. How you test is with the drums on, the brakes adjusted, have someone push on the pedal while you slowly hand spind the drum and it stops. When the helper pushes on the pedal after all is bled and adjusted correctly, it has travel but does not go to the floor and feels firm not spongy.
Old March 31st, 2018, 12:57 PM

There is a flexible rubber hose attached to the top of the rear end in the center, over time the hose softens on the inside and closes up so the fluid cant get through, either in or out or both. You need to replace that hose and re-bleed the rear brakes.
Old April 1st, 2018, 09:36 AM

Thats the info I needed thanks guys!!!