General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ready to buy - what would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2014, 04:57 AM

Question Ready to buy - what would you choose?

So, after a lot of years, I'm ready to get a little classic muscle under me again, and I've decided to replace my long-lost '70 Cutlass S. I strongly doubt that I'll do any racing, sanctioned or otherwise, so this is pretty much just about personal satisfaction... but performance is still key. I'm looking at 3 rides:

#1: A '69 Cutlass S, 350 CID, 4 bbl, dual exhaust, TH350, all stock and all original, and it's literally almost like new, wearing the original paint and interior. No rust anywhere, all numbers match, and never 'restored'. The seller is the second owner, and has owned it for many years. I trust the seller, this is the real deal.

#2: A '69 4-4-2, 400 CID, automatic (I assume TH400), 4 bbl, dual exhaust, great condition, all numbers match, and nearly all original. Needs very little work, and cosmetically it's super nice. It has been repainted once, but the same guy has owned it for a very long time. The things it needs are under the car -- exhaust, some preventative restoration, cracking rubber, patchy undercoating, stuff like that. Nothing major that I can see.

#3: A '71 Cutlass S, 455 CID, 4 bbl, dual exhaust, TH400, has been repainted and 'restored', some interior items like seats have been replaced with very nice non-OEM items, but mostly it's period-correct. Condition looks really good. I don't know yet if it's the original powertrain, and I can't tell yet the quality of the restoration that's been done, but the price on this one is super reasonable.

I am not a car flipper or swapper. Whatever I choose will remain with me for a long time, and whatever work it gets I prefer to do myself. I would rather spend time enjoying it than rebuilding it, but winters are long, so there is ample time for tuning, upgrading, tweaking, etc. I'm really just trying to decide what will give me the most adrenaline (or potential) and reliability per dollar. This will be a fair-weather weekender, not a garage queen and not a daily driver.

I think all 3 of these are in much better than average condition, and none of them needs a big restoration. #1 needs nothing at all except a driver. The others may need a little touching up here and there, and could have a few hidden issues I haven't seen.

Assuming that cost is not an issue, which would you choose and why?

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think before I pull any triggers...
Old February 5th, 2014, 05:14 AM

Welcome to the forum. From your list , my pic would be the 69 442.

Post some pics if you can.
Old February 5th, 2014, 05:18 AM
Old School Olds

The 442's will always be worth more
in the long run, but it seems you found
some nice choices. The 69's are a pain
if you have to deal with anything dash
related, but the dash in the 68-69's is
a far more better looking than the 70-72,
but that's just me. Good luck with your decision.
Old February 5th, 2014, 05:40 AM

[QUOTE. The 69's are a pain
if you have to deal with anything dash
related, .[/QUOTE]

But after a while your blood does clot up! Henry
Old February 5th, 2014, 06:00 AM

Old February 5th, 2014, 07:08 AM

If cost is not an issue go with the matching #'s 442. You will get more satisfaction knowing it is the real deal most desirable performance model. It also is considered more collectible and has a certain pedigree inherent with it.

I think its fairly safe to say everyone would prefer a 442 but only purchase Cutlass' because they are more affordable.

The only caveat is colors. You don't want to have to do a costly color change so if one of the cars is a color "that speaks to you" then its not as cut and dry.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Administrator

No brainer, #2.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:36 AM

I'm appreciating all the feedback very much. The consensus so far seems to be the 442, and it is indeed a really sharp-looking car (also the most expensive, and the most difficult seller to deal with).

Should I have any concerns about the 400 Rocket? I have no experience with that engine at all, and I've heard various pros and cons which have done little but muddy the waters for me. Should I expect it to have noticeably more power or torque vs the 350? Will it be as dependable?

I actually have been leaning more towards #1, the '69 Cutlass S 350, partly because the seller is so similar in attitude to myself (do it right the first time, use quality parts, keep it as original as possible or practical), and partly because it is so pristine and original. But the 442 is really appealing, even at an extra 4 grand asking price.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:38 AM

Pictures would be a huge help.
Old February 5th, 2014, 07:48 AM

I'm biased, but either of the '69's depending on your taste and budget. The '71 may have the best performance per $ but still my 3rd choice. Jump on in, the waters fine....
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:12 AM
My sweet ride since 1970!

I admit to being VERY prejudice (as I own a '69 Cutlass S convertible) but if you intend on keeping the car for a long time, with minimal concerns about resale value, I honestly would go with #1. The relationship you build with the current owner may prove to be very valuable during the negotiation process and in case you run into any "surprises" within the 1st 6 months or so of ownership. Also, if the car is a GOOD BUY already, think about the ability to use the $ you save by buying the Cutlass vs a 442 as $ you might be able to use towards personalizing the car to your taste. Love to hear & see what you decide. If I can help with any questions now or down the road....just let me know..OLDS FOREVER

Last edited by 70sbulldog; February 8th, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old February 8th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Leadfoot
I'm appreciating all the feedback very much. The consensus so far seems to be the 442, and it is indeed a really sharp-looking car (also the most expensive, and the most difficult seller to deal with).

Should I have any concerns about the 400 Rocket? I have no experience with that engine at all, and I've heard various pros and cons which have done little but muddy the waters for me. Should I expect it to have noticeably more power or torque vs the 350? Will it be as dependable?

I actually have been leaning more towards #1, the '69 Cutlass S 350, partly because the seller is so similar in attitude to myself (do it right the first time, use quality parts, keep it as original as possible or practical), and partly because it is so pristine and original. But the 442 is really appealing, even at an extra 4 grand asking price.

The 68-69 400 CID is a great street motor with plenty of torque
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:05 PM

I own a 69 S and love it but if I had a choice of the 3 you have it would have to be the 442. Why because it is a 442 no other reason than that. Pick the one you like most and enjoy its your money and choice you will Love whatever you pick.
Old February 8th, 2014, 10:40 PM
REO

442, it's a real muscle car. If the '71 originally had the 455 and could easily be returned back to stock it would be good as well.
Old February 9th, 2014, 01:26 AM

#1 it's the least molested and 4k less than the 442and imo 68-9 are better looking than 70-72 my.
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:24 AM

I may be in the minority here, but #1 sound like the best bang for the buck, The 350 with a 4bbl has plenty of get up and go plus an unmolested car from a trust seller goes a long way in my book.

but, there is always a but............ #2 sounds pretty darn good too, the things you mentioned are relatively inexpensive fixes if money isn't an object then #2 is a no brainer.
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:44 AM

Nice choices

You mentioned performance is key. The 442's usually have more of that as well as the increased value. # 1 and # 2 both sound great. Maybe make a list of pros and cons as well as cost of repairs needed for each and compare. From past experience I have to recommend getting a professional inspection by a mechanic before pulling the trigger.
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:03 AM

What do they want for the 442?
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:15 AM

U stated the 442 was 4k more than choice 1. In that case I'd offer 2k less than his price. If he refuses buy #1 and don't look back. Jmo, Ken
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:20 AM

choice

Buy the 1969 442. It is the better car now & when the time comes to sell it will be worth more money.
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:46 AM

My vote is for #1. Survivor cars are very difficult to find, especially in the described condition.
Old February 9th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Registered Luser

Old February 9th, 2014, 05:42 PM
morgan

442's were never for the 'faint of heart', what kind of heart do you have
Old February 9th, 2014, 05:49 PM

Not sure what you are looking to spend but i have a 70 Rallye 350 that just needs a driver and i am located here in Indiana. I would love to see the car stay in Indiana. I would trust it to drive anywhere in the country. It is a 4 speed car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_3381.jpg (112.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
100_3382.jpg (110.4 KB, 22 views)
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:19 PM

They're all going to require time, energy, and $$$ at some point. If you aren't looking to show the car, then the decision is simple...buy the one you want to drive.
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Registered Luser

I agree....Rallye 350 is now #1. Plus The seller is as honest as they come and has owned it for a long time.
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:43 PM

The 68 and 68 G block engines were dependable. They lacked a little of the performance compared to the 66 and 67 E block 400. The G block had a longer stroke and slightly smaller bore and performance was down a tad. In 68 and 69 the 350 was tweaked with the W31 package. You should be able to feel the xtra cubes with the 400 compared to the 350. I would go for the 442. That image is hard to beat compared to the Cutlass. I would say go for what you like and what you will be happy with with no buyers remorse.
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:29 AM

Talking

So many good suggestions, and great feedback. Thanks very much to all of you for that. Everybody chose #1, the '69 original numbers Cutlass S or #2, the original numbers 442. I pulled the trigger last night on #1, and got a good price from an awesome seller. I can't wait for some spring weather so I can go pick it up and bring it home.

Jensenracing77, I missed your post, but that's a very sharp Rallye. Had I seen your post before last night, I would definitely have checked in with you. I think it's worth much more that I was planning to spend, and I wish you good luck in selling the car.

The '69 S is all original except for just a couple of items. 350 Rocket with HEI, single exhaust, 90k miles. TH350 transmission was recently rebuilt because the seals started leaking, but no mods were done. New coil springs, ball joints, sway bars, bushings, and urethane to replace all of the old rubber suspension parts. Vinyl top was replaced a few years ago and is like new. All the weatherstripping has been replaced. 2-bbl carb has been rebuilt. New ignition wires, battery, tires in the past 2 years, and not a speck of rust anywhere. Interior is original and perfect. This is a true garage queen.

Although it really doesn't need anything, I'm seeing it as a blank slate. Since it's the factory single exhaust setup and 2 bbl carb, I'm assuming it's the lower output (250hp rating?) 350. I'll have a lot of research to do in planning performance build-ups, but I'm looking forward to it... I'll save that stuff for other threads.

Thanks again guys for all of your input. It's very much valued and appreciated.

JP_69Cutlass S_1_600x450.jpg

JP_69Cutlass S_5_600x450.jpg
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Old School Olds

Looks very sharp, congrats!
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Runner

Saw that car posted a few weeks back. Cool car, love those green rides!
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Congrats on your purchase.
Old February 10th, 2014, 08:59 AM

Nice, enjoy.
Old February 10th, 2014, 09:04 AM

Good looking Olds , congrats.
Old February 10th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Registered Luser

Very nice. Remove the side molding and you're good to go!
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:06 PM

Looks great and hope you a driving it soon! Post some interior pics too. Just curious, do you know if the TH350 is original to the car? Most 350/2bbl cars in 69 came with the 2 speed jet-a-way so the TH350 is a very welcome option/upgrade. Most also came with pretty tall gears in the rear end, so an upgrade (lower gear, higher number like 3.42) may help more than bolt-on engine goodies.
Old February 10th, 2014, 04:11 PM

Good looking 69 enjoy!!
Old February 10th, 2014, 05:49 PM

So many good suggestions, and great feedback. Thanks very much to all of you for that. Everybody chose #1, the '69 original numbers Cutlass S or #2, the original numbers 442. I pulled the trigger last night on #1, and got a good price from an awesome seller. I can't wait for some spring weather so I can go pick it up and bring it home.

Jensenracing77, I missed your post, but that's a very sharp Rallye. Had I seen your post before last night, I would definitely have checked in with you. I think it's worth much more that I was planning to spend, and I wish you good luck in selling the car.

The '69 S is all original except for just a couple of items. 350 Rocket with HEI, single exhaust, 90k miles. TH350 transmission was recently rebuilt because the seals started leaking, but no mods were done. New coil springs, ball joints, sway bars, bushings, and urethane to replace all of the old rubber suspension parts. Vinyl top was replaced a few years ago and is like new. All the weatherstripping has been replaced. 2-bbl carb has been rebuilt. New ignition wires, battery, tires in the past 2 years, and not a speck of rust anywhere. Interior is original and perfect. This is a true garage queen.

Although it really doesn't need anything, I'm seeing it as a blank slate. Since it's the factory single exhaust setup and 2 bbl carb, I'm assuming it's the lower output (250hp rating?) 350. I'll have a lot of research to do in planning performance build-ups, but I'm looking forward to it... I'll save that stuff for other threads.

Thanks again guys for all of your input. It's very much valued and appreciated.

Attachment 85067

Attachment 85068

I remember seeing that one.. sounds like you got a good one

http://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/for...s-S-Neosho.php
Old February 11th, 2014, 01:32 PM

Nice car congrats have fun.
Old February 11th, 2014, 02:32 PM
My sweet ride since 1970!

Talking Great ride...great choice

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Beautiful ride! Reminds me so much of the Glade Green (dark)/green/green the 1969 Cutlass S Holiday Coupe my mother bought new in August of 1969. Great car, but paint faded like you would not believe

Like I said in my original post. I know I am prejudice, but what the heck!

Many happy miles and as the owner of a 1969 since 1970 any help you think I might be able to offer...just ask.

Scott (the newer one..lol)

Originally Posted by LI Olds
I remember seeing that one.. sounds like you got a good one

http://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/for...s-S-Neosho.php