General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rattling/Ticking noise from Steering

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2022, 07:58 AM

Rattling/Ticking noise from Steering

I have a rather loud rattling or ticking noise that comes from what I think is the power steering system, however I am not sure.

Initially it seemed to only do it when the car was first placed in reverse, then it would quiet down. Now it seems to do it after when there is any pressure that is placed on the wheels and the steering wheel is turned. I can influence the level of sound by turning the steering wheel while sitting still. I’m thinking it is power steering/pulley for the system but I am not sure and was interested in any others experience with this. The power steering fluid levels look good as well.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 08:50 AM
Running On Empty

Makes this noise while idling and not moving? While remaining in gear, at rest & idling while in Park?
Makes this sound while driving (under load) wheels straight or wheels turned?
Old July 23rd, 2022, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Makes this noise while idling and not moving? While remaining in gear, at rest & idling while in Park?
Makes this sound while driving (under load) wheels straight or wheels turned?
it doesn’t do it at idle after starting. Only seems to do it right when you turn the wheels the first time. Also after driving it for a bit, it seems to go away. But it’s definitely got louder and is extremely noticeable when just sitting at idle with the wheels slightly turned.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 08:59 AM
Running On Empty

Does the noise fluctuate (increase/decrease) with RPM? &/or rolling (driving)? Tough since you said it goes away while driving. Noticeable difference in RPM might suggest where to look further though.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 09:10 AM

Does the noise fluctuate (increase/decrease) with RPM? &/or rolling (driving)? Tough since you said it goes away while driving. Noticeable difference in RPM might suggest where to look further though.
It would seem like if it’s sitting and making the noise, and the idle is higher (like right after starting it) while it’s warming up it does seem to be louder, but when the idle drops to curb idle it’s a bit quieter. But like I said, after driving it for a little and it’s at normal running temps it appears to totally go away. Also can’t hear anything when sitting at a light and turning wheels a bit either after it’s been running.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 09:46 AM
Running On Empty

Since we’re in a diagnostic mode, check for both excessive lateral (side-to-side) motion of the PS pulley & excessive in/out play of the pulley. You shouldn’t expect any lateral movement, in/out should be very minimal (1/16”) if any at all. So far sounds (which means a SWAG) it’s making noise when cold, but appears to go away after warming up (maybe)? I don’t own a stethoscope, I take a piece of wood (broom handle ~ 2’-3’ long) place on suspect PS unit and attempt to isolate noise. Sure your PS belt (and all belts are tight)? Generally they’ll squeal but you state a rattling noise - metal to metal rattling?

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 23rd, 2022 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Sp
Old July 23rd, 2022, 12:22 PM

Since we’re in a diagnostic mode, check for both excessive lateral (side-to-side) motion of the PS pulley & excessive in/out play of the pulley.
While you’re at it, see if the entire power steering pump moves or not. There’s currently a thread about an alternator that lost its mounting hardware, so anything is possible.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 01:59 PM

Since we’re in a diagnostic mode, check for both excessive lateral (side-to-side) motion of the PS pulley & excessive in/out play of the pulley. You shouldn’t expect any lateral movement, in/out should be very minimal (1/16”) if any at all. So far sounds (which means a SWAG) it’s making noise when cold, but appears to go away after warming up (maybe)? I don’t own a stethoscope, I take a piece of wood (broom handle ~ 2’-3’ long) place on suspect PS unit and attempt to isolate noise. Sure your PS belt (and all belts are tight)? Generally they’ll squeal but you state a rattling noise - metal to metal rattling?
Update...

Took it out today and noticed that it now does it even when driving. You can't hear it as well the driving and RPM does not seem to affect the level of noise. Best way I can explain the rattling noise is when you are moving a small freezer and you hear the compressor rattling around. It sounds like that, just a lot more of it. Maybe it is actually coming from the AC compressor? Haven't checked play on the pull at all, although I can confirm that the pulley wheel on the PS pump is tight (doesn't move) but appears to have a slightly bent shaft that it is mounted to as it looks like when a wheel is out of balance from side to side.

Also verified that belts are tightened well. Definitely not a squealing noise like when a belt squeals. For sure more of a rattling noise, metal with metal.

Today was definitely the first day I noticed it while driving, so whatever it is would appear to be getting worse.

Last edited by joshduty; July 23rd, 2022 at 02:49 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2022, 05:43 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by joshduty
Maybe it is actually coming from the AC compressor? Haven't checked play on the pull at all, although I can confirm that the pulley wheel on the PS pump is tight (doesn't move) but appears to have a slightly bent shaft that it is mounted to as it looks like when a wheel is out of balance from side to side.
Can't exactly envision what you're referring to regarding a slightly bent shaft, but if any rotation demonstrates an out of balance from side-to-side motion...that's no good. Keep up the good work, you'll get this figured out. A bent shaft (if that is what it is) was most certainly not "by design".
Old July 24th, 2022, 04:11 AM

Sometimes old v belts make a clacking noise . Easy to tell if it is that, just mist some water on belts while running. noise will go away and then come back as water comes off.
Old July 26th, 2022, 04:04 PM

So I found the problem... turns out it was simply just the fan hitting the fan shroud. There must be enough engine movement that when putting it in reverse and turning it sometimes causes the engine to shift which positions the fan in a way that it can hit the shroud. Need to drop the shroud down a bit as there is about a 2 inch gap from the top of the blade to the top of the shroud. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old July 26th, 2022, 04:11 PM
Running On Empty

Happy you found the issue & hopefully you’ll find a suitable resolution. Of course, several unknown items may be contributing of which you may or may not be aware of but some considerations: Original fan? Original shroud? Aftermarket assemblies? Improper installation(s)? Broken, bent, missing hardware/fasteners? Good job tracking it down.
Old July 26th, 2022, 05:19 PM

Worn out motor mounts? Oh yeah...
Old July 27th, 2022, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Worn out motor mounts? Oh yeah...
yep.
Old July 27th, 2022, 12:15 PM

Definitely replace the engine mounts before moving the shroud. You don't wanna mod your shroud or mounting when the issue is a broken engine mount.
Old July 27th, 2022, 08:13 PM

There are supposed to be spacers between the radiator top plate and the top of the shroud. Without them, the top mounting bolts pull the shroud up too far.

Fan Shroud Hardware

Last edited by Fun71; July 27th, 2022 at 08:21 PM.