General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Radio Oldsmobile 98 1964

Old July 4th, 2018, 12:51 PM

Question Radio Oldsmobile 98 1964

How to remove the am radio? It’s now producing an high squeeze sound when turned on, no reception of radiostations. Until short ago the radio worked fine. It’s a wunderbar am radio.
Old July 4th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Just going from memory here -

If it is like most mid-60's GM offerings you 1-remove the ***** (which are push-on or held by set screws). 2-Loosen/Remove the nuts on the Volume and Tune shafts. 3-Unplug the radio antenna. 4-Remove any and all dash mounting brackets (found under/behind the dash. Radio should now tilt and slide out for removal.
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Oldsdruid

Remove the glovebox liner. Makes it a lot easier. If it disintegrates www.fusick.com has reproductions.

If it's a factory air car remove the plastic ductwork behind the right side of dash. Clock may need to come out too, which makes a perfect opportunity to service it.

Reach behind the dash and unplug the power, speaker and WonderBar harnesses, then loosen the ferrule nuts on the shafts and lower the radio out and to the right side of the car.

Then your adventure begins- finding someone who can service a WonderBar! And on the Continent, that may not be easy.

Just curious- did that car come from South Carolina USA? It looks much like one that used to be in the local Oldsmobile Club.

Last edited by rocketraider; July 4th, 2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old July 4th, 2018, 03:44 PM

I had my Wonderbar serviced in Toronto. I gave him a spare wonderbar for parts. Took eight months. It drove him nuts trying to get the solenoids working properly, so he took an occasional break. I was not in a hurry. The radio works properly and fantastic reception.
Old July 5th, 2018, 01:10 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by rocketraider

Reach behind the dash and unplug the power, speaker
Good point about disconnect the speaker! Duh? I left that out?

Last edited by D. Yaros; July 5th, 2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old July 6th, 2018, 03:14 AM

Did that car come from South Carolina USA?

Thanks for the advice - I've found someone in my hometown Nijmegen -The Netherlands who is repairing old receivers/amplifiers etc, so he'll have a look at the Wonderbar...

And, My Olds 98 is bought from Volo Auto Museum https://www.volocars.com/auto-sales

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Remove the glovebox liner. Makes it a lot easier. If it disintegrates www.fusick.com has reproductions.

If it's a factory air car remove the plastic ductwork behind the right side of dash. Clock may need to come out too, which makes a perfect opportunity to service it.

Reach behind the dash and unplug the power, speaker and WonderBar harnesses, then loosen the ferrule nuts on the shafts and lower the radio out and to the right side of the car.

Then your adventure begins- finding someone who can service a WonderBar! And on the Continent, that may not be easy.

Just curious- did that car come from South Carolina USA? It looks much like one that used to be in the local Oldsmobile Club.