General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Quick question

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:18 AM

Quick question

I was told by a friend of mine that if I or anyone that is not a certified mechanic does any type of work on a classic car it deprecates the value, because there is no proof that the work has been done correctly. Is this true? What are some other things that can deprecate the value of our cars?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by nohn
I was told by a friend of mine that if I or anyone that is not a certified mechanic does any type of work on a classic car it deprecates the value, because there is no proof that the work has been done correctly. Is this true? What are some other things that can deprecate the value of our cars?
In my opinion most of the "non-certified" classic car guys that work on these cars are way more knowledgeable about them than most of the "certified" mechanics that work on newer cars.

Although that probably doesn't answer your question.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
car guy

I've seen home done stuff that will scare you and I have seen professional mechanic stuff that will do the same. It comes down to the individual person that does the work and what the capabilities are.

Unless its complete hack work I don't see too much effect the value of a classic car. What the car is and the package or options it has make much more difference.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM

X2 on all the above.
Many modern "certified mechanics" won't even know how to overhaul a carb. Some younger ones may never have seen a carb...

One local 'ASE' A/C tech argued that my '72 uses a cycling compressor clutch like any new car... It does not - it has a POA valve (that term confused him...)
Another put ATF fluid in my Ford's differential one time just because "thay is what all the new cars use..." A double whammy! Now it did help to clean out all the original gear oil...

If only a "certified mechanic" could work on our old cars, there would be a lot few of them on the road because most are the work of hobbiests (like me!)

I have seen nasty, fast hack jobs by "pros" and excellent "can't tell it has been touched" jobs by just car-loving individuals (many on this forum).

It is the experience, talent, and knowledge that will make a repair or a restoration a good one.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:28 AM

This is an older thread but just how many "Certified Mechanics" do we have here?

I'm not sure even the designation began. Does anyone know/remember?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

One local 'ASE' A/C tech argued that my '72 uses a cycling compressor clutch like any new car... It does not - it has a POA valve (that term confused him...)

I bet the expansion valve used before the POA valve would really confuse him.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:52 AM

I believe the term certifed mechanic was coined by the car manufactureswhen they started provideing classes in servicing and repairing cars in their dealerships and provided factory training on the different aspects of their particular brand of car. There are community college courses and trade school courses on general mechanic and specified fields of tranining ie, automatic transmissions, diesel engines, etc but I am not sure if you become certifed when you complete your training. I have a friend who is a certified Cat mechanic and he went to a Cat school and was sponsored by his employeer in order to attend.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
This is an older thread but just how many "Certified Mechanics" do we have here?

I'm not sure even the designation began. Does anyone know/remember?
Not me, but my buddy is and teaches. He preaches at me a lot when we are working together in the garage, I listen, nod my head, then go on ahead with what I was doing. We're friends...
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Considering that there's no legal entity that sets the value of "classic cars" - or even the DEFINITION of a "classic" car, I'd say your friend doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Past Administrator

This "certification" deal is beginning to chap my hide. In my line of work (electronics repair) there has been a recent push to be "certified" by the Electronics Technician Association or ETA and some employers have bought this line of doo doo including Motorola (I work at a Motorola shop). Guess who certifies these tecnicians? ETA. And you would ask how? By a test of course. And those tests/certifications cost money which is paid to ETA. So, a person could be a really crappy technician but a good test taker and end up a "Master Technician" and presumably demand higher wages for that. This might be a better program if it included some kind of comprehensive education or classes or oversight or something... but just a series of tests administered by a self proclaimed "authority" on their own is useless in my opinion.

Now, for automotive techs, the system may be different but the effect can be the same. As was stated already, just because you are certified does not me you can do it well. It just meant you went to a school and took a test.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I bet the expansion valve used before the POA valve would really confuse him.
Ah, the ol' Suction Throttling Valve (STV)...
That would have made his head blow right off his shoulders!
I look forward to bringing that up to the next 'certified' A/C guy!!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the fast responses. I will continue as planned and to my car over to the Hobby shop on base and have the guys there help me as needed. The plan is to install new lifters and a new cam. I will be in good hands with the guys there. Thanks again.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:00 PM

This might be a better program if it included some kind of comprehensive education or classes or oversight or something... but just a series of tests administered by a self proclaimed "authority" on their own is useless in my opinion.
ASE Certification works the same way. You show up to a testing center in the evening or on a weekend and take the test to become "certified."

I have a BS in Automotive Technology from Central Missouri State University but I never got my ASE certifications. I am glad I ended up as a defense contractor instead of working for Ford, GM, or Chrysler in Detroit (like most of my classmates). My old buddies are probably out of a job now.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:52 AM

........ to the Hobby shop on base and have the guys there help me as needed ........
Good choice.

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
This "certification" deal is beginning to chap my hide ........
Just another of the many "credentials" that are used, by the ignorant, to inflate their own egos, at the expense of the unknowing.

Those people do not seem to be aware that all of the "credentials" in the world, cannot support a statement that is based on a false premise.

But then, maybe my opinion is just "sour grapes" because I have no "credentials".

Norm
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM

I have noticed that most of the new mech's just change parts, rather than take a look and fix anything. A machine gives a list of poss parts at fault and the mech just replaces the parts on the list and most of the time the fix is in. I like it when a mech actually looks a part and tries to find out why it failed and tries to solve the whole problem.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:27 AM

You are right Cecil. Unfortunately, this is the way it is going for all kinds of technicians.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM

Thats why things get thrown away rather then fixed. In todays world some parts do not even use screws or nuts. They use rivets and flanged metal to prevent repair. I drill out the rivets and try to repair the part sometimes I am successful sometimes not but I always try.

Last edited by citcapp; January 23rd, 2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM

It's our "Throw away Society" When was the last time you saw a "Zippo"
Citcapp?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:33 PM

Back about 1975 in Michigan the state made licensing mandatory.

I had been working at a dealer twisting a wrench for about 5 yrs.

All the machanics had to pass a number of fairly difficult tests and of pay a fee. in order to become certified.

I renewed mine every year intil 1987 when I left the bussiness.

There are still good and bad mechanics. I would hate to have to work on all this new junk.

All in all ,I think the state just needed more revenue.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM

When I quit smoking 20+ years ago. Still have a Zippo around someplace Jamsbo.

Thats why I have so much junk laying around, always trying to fix a broken something, still use jack oil and replace seals in jacks, who does that anymore? I need my money to fix up my cars not to buy new tools when I can fix my old ones myself.
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Thats why I have so much junk laying around, always trying to fix a broken something, still use jack oil and replace seals in jacks, who does that anymore? I need my money to fix up my cars not to buy new tools when I can fix my old ones myself.
Sounds a lot like me...
I still have an old 1967 Lawn Boy mower and a 1965 Kirby vacuum cleaner that just keep on going. So simple to repair (rarely need it) and built to last. Parts are still a dime a dozen, too!

WHERE do you find seals for jacks?? I have a big OLD floor jack that needs overhaul...
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:17 AM

I just googled Hydraulic jack seals and there were several suppliers.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM

I have a Zippo but it is empty right now. I smoke cigars and I light them with wooden kitchen matches.
Old January 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Captain of my ship

Make sure that you keep all reciepts for OEM parts , also keep a folder with pics of the progress before and after. When you resell or trade the car it is deffinately a bonus selling feature.
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:52 AM
car nut farmer

Yep, replace parts until problem solved. The customer is footing the bill so what the heh on the part of the shop, just more profit for them.

Olds64, I enjoy the occasional cigar too. I have a full humi.
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Good choice.

Just another of the many "credentials" that are used, by the ignorant, to inflate their own egos, at the expense of the unknowing.

Those people do not seem to be aware that all of the "credentials" in the world, cannot support a statement that is based on a false premise.

But then, maybe my opinion is just "sour grapes" because I have no "credentials".

Norm

I'm with you Norm, literally. Well, almost anyway. I was forced to take the initial certification or loose my job so I did. But they will have to drag me to the testing center to continue, there are about eight tests in all. And like someone else mentioned, I will let my certification lapse as soon as I retire/quit work or go into another line of work. "sour grapes" taste ok to me, by the way, isn't that how we get wine?
One last thought, my apologies to the OP for getting this thread off topic .
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM

I hold a masters electricians license in Washington State. The state requires that I have 30 house of continuning education every three years. Its just a money scheme here as no new classes are offered, all you can do is repeat the same old thing over and over again, does not teach you a thing waste of time and money as currently set up.

Used to smoke cigars gave it up for more car parts
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
........ I was forced to take the initial certification or loose my job ........
But the cert did not make you any more,or less, proficient/knowledgeable.

I have encountered too many "schoolboys" who can recite the "manual" forward and backward, but cannot put the information into practice. My respect goes to those who actually know the subject and/or can do the job, regardless of their "credentials".

Which takes us back to the the opening post.

........ if I or anyone that is not a certified mechanic does any type of work on a classic car it deprecates the value, because there is no proof that the work has been done correctly ........
A mechanics education/diplomas/certifications/etc, have nothing to do with his/her competence and those who are in the "classic car" business, are well aware of it.

It might, however, increase the selling price if the buyer can be convinced that the certs make a difference.

........ What are some other things that can deprecate the value of our cars?
Biggest is: Legislation by our Federal State, and Local Representatives, but that is a different topic.

Norm
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Wink love those GEICO commercials.....

I'll steal a line from one of my favorite comercials "so easy a caveman could do it" I did all the suspension work on both of my convertibles...of course my rustoleom bright silver paint on the sandblasted rearend might not be your cup of tea (W-27 cover equipped of course) but I love it!!