General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

quick q's for my 70' 442 didn't find answers too

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2015, 09:41 AM

quick q's for my 70' 442 didn't find answers too

Hi,
Been on hiadeous from forum for a bit working up the last primer on the trunk, refinishing trunk work Suuuucks Last one I hope I ever do!

I have 2 questions atm

One In jacking up the rear end I always plant the jack under the side frame rails near the rear front tire in the middle of the car.
Then the body lifts but it takes a ton to get the wheels up.

I Grew up always jacking up from the pumpkin( Rear Diff)
However these as you all know have that Rear stabilizer bar Right down the Rear axle.

Where is a Safe spot to jack up the Rear axle without any Worries of damaging something?
Same question for the Front?
~ I'm putting those car dolly rollers under it so I can spin it around store easier etc. As I only have one end as workspace and want to start it every few weeks and fumes are a killer when exhaust points inside the garage even with the door open~

Second Question:
Inside She's got a period correct fm radio where the 8 track would have been. works but how its routed into the am radio on the right channel obviously doesn't work well.
I Plan on pulling it and saving or selling it if I can research it's authenticity and value. Then Leaving the AM hooked up original as it is to the center dash speaker. and using a small concealed radio hooked to the rear 6x9 for true use.

Filler thoughts on that process are appreciated.
My question that relates to that is under the dash passenger side there is a vertically mounted facing down equalizer of sorts. Looks like the same period as the fm radio.
I don't see it anywhere in the 3 different manuals out there. I assume it's 100% aftermarket and has no real value?
I plan on pulling it out but would love insight, or ideas about it.
and really anything audio related as I dig into the dash in the next few months.

Thanks Forum!

Last edited by ah7910; January 15th, 2015 at 09:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Not sure I completely understand your questions, but here goes.

First, jacking under the rear axle is fine. I routinely jack under the center section. I'll put the pad of the jack just forward of the rear stabilizer bar, so that I don't bend the bar.

I don't completely follow your question on the stereo. The only factory eight track was mounted in an under-dash pod. If there is an FM radio here, it is aftermarket. If you are talking about the factory stereo, the "adapter" under the dash is for the rear channel. The factory stereo actually used the stock dash speaker and a rear package shelf speaker as the two stereo channels. The in-dash radio housed the amp that powered the front speaker, just as it would for a mono radio. The adapter under the dash was the amp for the other channel, that powered the rear speaker.
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:10 AM

thanks Maybe picks will help?

the odd thing is under the dash like buried to the passenger side you have to lay on the floor and look up to see it mounted on the side wall under the dash is the equalizer thing?

the fm dial with push button on/off and dial to turn to station is 3/4 tall and 3-4" wide the equalizer is 1"+ tall and 4+" wide if my memory is correct.

They are both coming out I just don't know if they are worth anything to keep with the car's Scrap box. or garbage or to sell?
That's probably my question. I am a bit confused at myself sometimes too ..

Thanks

Last edited by ah7910; January 15th, 2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 15th, 2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ah7910
Where is a Safe spot to jack up the Rear axle without any Worries of damaging something?
Same question for the Front?
For the rear, I do the same as Joe and put the jack under the center section.

For the front, I put the jack under the spring pocket on the lower control arm. If I want both front wheels up, I put the jack under the frame cross member below the oil pan.
Old January 15th, 2015, 04:57 PM

radio/amp/equalizer pics

Ref q above
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150115_171715.jpg (65.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg
20150115_171632.jpg (78.2 KB, 28 views)
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Your AM radio appears to be stock and also has the optional rear speaker. The FM and tape deck are not stock. If you plan to run stock radio you'll need to ensure you use 10 ohm speakers.
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Administrator

The first picture is an audiovox FM converter that works off one your tuned am stations, pretty popular back in the 70's. The second picture is an equalizer amp. I don't see how they got any type of stereo with those items, just amplified mono. I don't see a tape deck.
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:17 PM

Thanks

Glad removing them won't diminish anything

Any idea what there worth or i i should just sit on them? I can make room but prefer to sell off whats not car correct.
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I don't think they're worth much. If they were mine the first guy who handed me 20.00 would own both of them.
Old January 16th, 2015, 04:43 AM

lol. I'll bring them to pawn shop for a laugh then.

Thanks Forum.
That's answered both my questions!
Anyone else have additional insight into my questions feel free to reply.

Otherwise Case closed IMO