General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question? Who's Buying Musclecars Now, Projects?

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2020 | 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Warren Seale
Do you see how the "classic car dealers" price their cars? Well, people see this and think this is what THEY can get for theirs. They are in dream land.
Everything costs to much if you're a dollar short. LOL!

I have have seen some of these car dealer prices and thought "What the hell are they thinking?". But, then I start looking at comparable model cars and the difference is in the quality and details. I really learned this in the Trans Am world. Yes, some people want a premium at whatever level their car is. Many times it is due to their emotional equity...which, from a buyer's standpoint...has no value. I don't care if their oldest son's, grand pappy's, girl friend's sister had a baby in that car, or not.
Old September 1st, 2020 | 02:54 PM

when I was a young driver a 50 year old car would have been a 1920 car LOL

I never wanted a 1920 something car, or 30's or 40's either

not exactly a good comparison but it still has it's point

each generation (or so) has it's own, more or less

or are 442's immortal ? (like the Duesenburg) joking (or am I ?)

Old September 2nd, 2020 | 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmoboogie
I’m 44 and buying everything my wallet will allow. Most of my friends 35 and up love old muscle but the younger crowd is into the turbo ls scene. They are taking average 80’s and 90’s cars and making them run 10’s for 6-7000 dollars. That was the cost of the last 455 i built. I have 2 ls swapped cars so i see the appeal but nothing beats getting behind the wheel of my cutlass with a built big block. I will always have muscle cars but it is nice to jump in the c10 with newer technology and head out for a cruise. When i was 16 you could still buy decent muscle cars, i bought a 70 Chevelle Malibu for 450 bucks that ran and drove.
I was in a similar situation and cost of entry into muscle cars isn’t as practical as I had hoped. You definitely don’t have the depreciation but getting a below average late 60’ or early 70’s muscle car up to decent daily driver spec costs a ton.

I paid out 23k for a my 70 Cutlass Supreme because it was so clean but trying to get into a Camaro, Chevelle or upper tier Nova wasn’t possible.

On the other end I picked up a 07 Corvette with 48k miles for 17k. It was a no brainer for performance per dollar.

I don’t see things getting more affordable either.