General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

question on body mount bushings

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2012, 05:27 PM

question on body mount bushings

OK I have a 1969 cutlass convertible, I have the body off the frame. I originally bought a year one set of body mounts years ago, I have since purchased a set of mounts from in line tube,

My question is I have looked at the assembly manual and the chasis manual I for the life of me can not figure where the 2 smaller diameter bushings go? I have the standards that go down each side, and the two hockey pucks under the cross brace in the rear

Any ideas
Old September 6th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Eddie, can you post a photo of all the bushings and maybe a separate one of the ones in question? Any chance they included the mounts for the radiator support? They would be smaller than the others. The original radiator suport bushings werer square and those are reproduced for those who want those bushing with the correct look. But if someone just needs new bushings up there then these kits may have them but in a round style.

Brian
Old September 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM

I was thinking that but these have the metal inserts I will take some pics tomorrow I didn't use the year one mounts as they are sort of generic . I also had a question regarding the underside compression 'pucks, the new ones are hollow do I put the hollow side toward the body mount or toward the bolt and washer? These go up from the bottom to the body bushings
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:24 PM

pics...

here is some pictures showing the differences, the ones in question are the smaller ones, these are not the solid rubber ones that go under the cross member in the rear, other than that I have the full size ones running down both sides. in this picture there are two small ones and one standard
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22989597@N02/7951358920/http://www.flickr.com/photos/22989597@N02/7951358920/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/22989597@N02/, on Flickr

thickness
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22989597@N02/7951358802/http://www.flickr.com/photos/22989597@N02/7951358802/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/22989597@N02/, on Flickr
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:26 PM

the second question is in regards to the underneath bushing, this goes on the underside of the chasis do I put the cup side up? ( as it wads attached to the bushing when I got them, or do I put the cup side down?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22989597@N02/7951358676/http://www.flickr.com/photos/22989597@N02/7951358676/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/22989597@N02/, on Flickr
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Eddie,

The under part of the body bushing can only install one way and it will be with the hollow end facing up. When the body bushing is sitting in the frame, the lower part gets installed from the bottom side of the frame and you'll see when you do it that it can only go one way. I hope I addressed your question on that.

I still think the other bushings are for the radiator support. If you have 10 bushings for the body plus the 2 solid ones that sit on the crossmember above the rear suspension and the 2 smaller ones are left over, then they seem to be intended for the radiator support. The original radiator support bushings did have a metal sleve in them but they looked completely different than those round ones. Tell me how thick they are and I'll measure the ones I have which are repops of the originals. Attached is a photo of mine installed and they are square.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
12 8 20 442C progress 008.jpg (52.1 KB, 115 views)
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:26 PM

The little one measures 1 1/4. And the standard measures 1 1/6 this includes the metal insert ( just the part that sits on top of the rubber). I tried to fit it in the cross member hole in the front and the part that sits in the hole is too big. I have heard or read somewhere that some convertibles got an extra bushing up front it doesn't have a bolt but gets compressed with the body? It does not show that anywhere on my manuals but I have heard tell

I will give inline tube a call but most likely they won't know,

Yes you were clear on the cups underneath I thought so but wanted to make sure the year one pieces are solid but feel 'squishier' if that makes any sense
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM

OK, I'll measure the support bushing tomorrow and will let you know. You are installing the rad support bushing in the frame rail.... right? The rad support just sits on top of the bushing and the bolt with a large flat washer goes down from the top.

I think the extra bushing that is used on the convertibles are the ones that would be in the middle of the side rails or in the area of the rear part of the front seats. I think HT cars just had a solid rubber bushing in there and no bolt, just like is above the rear suspension.
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:13 PM

Yes those mounts do not fit in those frame holes
They may be extra but why? I will still give them a call but I will get square bushings for the rad support I mean round ones wouldn't be right
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Yes those mounts do not fit in those frame holes
They may be extra but why? I will still give them a call but I will get square bushings for the rad support I mean round ones wouldn't be right
Hard to say why those were there. I think someone just goofed or maybe this kit is fairly generic and those bushing are used on some other GM model in place of the larger ones you needed.

Oh, I measured the repop radiator support bushings in the 69 I'm working on and they are 3/4" tall. Looks like it's time to put the "correct" square bushings in those round holes.
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM

Maybe....

Brian, I was still racking these extra bushings through my head, well I know I read it somewhwere and I found another reference to it here
http://www.trueconnections.com/articles/body_bushings

now the kit may be generic in that it includes a few years? and a few different models, I will look again I do see the holes in the chasis, but not sure there is anything on the body? anyway here is a pic

Old September 11th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Eddie, I think you hit the nail on the head. I first saw your post in my email so I went to CO to see the photo. But when I read it, this is exactly what I thought of and I should have thought of this before. This getting old stuff is tough on the memory.

You do not have the need for 2 bushings at the cowl on your car. But there are other GM A body models that do use 2 mounts/side at the cowl and the brackets on the cowl are such to mirror that. Your car is not set up that way so I think that is why the extra bushings are there. I'm pretty sure the Buick Skylark used the double cowl mounts and maybe Pontiacs too. Now you can put those extra bushings aside and rest easy knowing they are not for your car.
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:10 PM

Eddie, if you’re having trouble finding the square radiator/core support bushings, call The Parts Place inc. I went through this a few weeks ago while gathering parts for the 70 442 hardtop I’m doing a frame off on.
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Porter858
Eddie, if you’re having trouble finding the square radiator/core support bushings, call The Parts Place inc. I went through this a few weeks ago while gathering parts for the 70 442 hardtop I’m doing a frame off on.

Thank you Sir!!, I see in line tube has them as well and I wanted to order new motor mount bolts too.... but appreciate the assist very much!!