General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question about dismantling 1970 post car for parts

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2021, 02:58 PM

Question about dismantling 1970 post car for parts

Hi All
Well, the quarter panels aren't perfect but solid enough that I want to remove them intact so someone else can use them. But the roof is also good, so I'd like to remove it carefully enough so someone could use it too. I'm thinking I'll look for the factory seam on the sail panel area. But how about the post between the backseat side window and door? Should that go with the roof and where should I cut it? The inside floorboard and trunk floor are both gone on this car, that's why I decided the best use was for parts. The car is kinda buried behind other cars so I'm not cutting on it right now. But was brainstorming on the best way to do this and thought I'd run this by you guys here to get some thoughts. John
Old June 17th, 2021, 06:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

John, the post is part of the window frame that goes with the quarter. That also applies to the top of the window frame where the roof rail weatherstrip would be on a hardtop. Unfortunately, I suspect that separating those parts properly will be a LOT of work.
Old June 17th, 2021, 10:30 PM

Thank you Joe. So it sounds like I'll have to decide on quarter panels or the roof. Oh well. When the time comes to dismantle if I'll look for the easiest places to make the cuts. For someone who wants to use the parts to fix their car it would be better if I gave them extra to trim, so that would be a benefit to not trying to save them both.

John
Old June 17th, 2021, 10:54 PM

You may want to yank the floor and see if anyone needs the whole shell just in case before cutting.

Another idea is just cut it in half and sell as quarters with extra frame.
Old June 18th, 2021, 04:54 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Thank you Joe. So it sounds like I'll have to decide on quarter panels or the roof. Oh well. When the time comes to dismantle if I'll look for the easiest places to make the cuts. For someone who wants to use the parts to fix their car it would be better if I gave them extra to trim, so that would be a benefit to not trying to save them both.

John
From a marketability standpoint, repro roof panels exist, full repro quarters do not.

You could also consider leaving the roof and quarters intact and selling it that way. If a person needed all that, it would really simplify the fix. Welding at the A-pillars is easy.
Old June 18th, 2021, 10:44 AM

I wouldn't cut it up! Better to sell whole. Floors and trunk can be changed.
Old June 18th, 2021, 11:29 AM

Thank you for the thoughts guys. When I get it dug out I'll offer the shell on a rolling chassis first to see if anyone wants it together.

John
Old June 21st, 2021, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by wr1970
I wouldn't cut it up! Better to sell whole. Floors and trunk can be changed.
Agreed. Pulled a 70 cutlass post tub out of an Albuquerque pick a part back in late 00’s, when it was still possible to do that sort of thing. Guy in WI bought the tub. Don’t remember details beyond that.
Old June 25th, 2021, 01:23 AM

Hey dose it happen to have ac? Thanks
Old June 25th, 2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by rreggie
Hey dose it happen to have ac? Thanks
Sorry, it does not. But I do have some pieces left over from other cars. What part of the country are you located in? I'm on the West Coast and if your too far away it might be better to post a parts wanted ad and see if someone closer can provide what you need to save on shipping.
Old June 27th, 2021, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Sorry, it does not. But I do have some pieces left over from other cars. What part of the country are you located in? I'm on the West Coast and if your too far away it might be better to post a parts wanted ad and see if someone closer can provide what you need to save on shipping.
Ok thanks I just found a guy in PA that has all the dash components but I may need a few additional pieces ill keep you in mind I do need a used 3 spoke wheel and a cover for the center console glove box in Blue also if you have a 4 core radiator lower support I'm in need of them I like to buy parts from member when at all possible. Meet a lot of great guys with info that way Thanks Reggie
Old June 27th, 2021, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by rreggie
Ok thanks I just found a guy in PA that has all the dash components but I may need a few additional pieces ill keep you in mind I do need a used 3 spoke wheel and a cover for the center console glove box in Blue also if you have a 4 core radiator lower support I'm in need of them I like to buy parts from member when at all possible. Meet a lot of great guys with info that way Thanks Reggie
Sorry 53027 Wisconsin