General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Question about "correct" painting of 1972 Vista Cruiser intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2016 | 01:43 PM

Question about "correct" painting of 1972 Vista Cruiser intake manifold

Hi All

It's been a while and I've started to rebuild my 200-4r transmission and Rochester 4-barrel carb. But first, I'm painting the factory 4 barrel intake manifold. I hope you don't think I'm too petty about this, but there is a brass elbow fitting in the manifold, in a thread near the carburetor base. Should that be painted along with the rest of the manifold or were all fittings installed after these parts were painted? What gaskets do people use for the manifold to heads? Anything special? Anything I should watch for? Also, were studs and nuts used or bolts to fasten the carb. to the manifold? I've never done an 8 cylinder....

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by tcolt; January 30th, 2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old January 30th, 2016 | 04:15 PM

Pretty sure the engine was painted with all the fittings in place but no hoses on them.

DRY FIT the manifold to head gasket and intake, as some bending and fitting may be required to get the thing to hold still in place. Look for the piercings that go into holes in the head to hold the gasket still during intake install. Lots of threads and discussion about sealers and rubber strip vs silicone bead on front and rear rails.

Carb is secured with bolts, very light torque
Old January 30th, 2016 | 07:17 PM

Thank you. I'm not sure how much I can bend that intake manifold to make it fit, but I'll try. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look for the thread.

Tom
Old February 1st, 2016 | 05:40 PM

I just spent the past hour searching some threads on intake manifold installation, including Joe's comments on "turkey trays". After using that search term on ebay, I found a confusing selection of all sorts of intake gasket sets that leave me more confused than before. Non of them used the phrase turkey tray, so I'm guessing that's just a term used by the insiders. Any suggestions what gasket kits are best to use would be great, including all possible timing and water seals, etc...

After some more reading, it looks like the turkey tray is a separate part from the intake gaskets. I'd like to keep using it and I wonder if it is the same part for my factory 1972 4-barrel intake as it was on my factory 2 barrel intake?...

One more thing is that the gasket kits sometimes say for engines from 1973 and up or 1975 and up. Is here a difference between the shape or ports of a 1972 and 1973/ 1975 intake?

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by tcolt; February 1st, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2016 | 09:11 AM

Thanks to other Eric I got the part number to what Felpro calls a "Valley pan gasket"
The 5 trays I had already gotten from the 99 cent store probably would require a lot of modifications to fit without silicon...

I'm curious to see whether I have another (re-usable) turkey tray under my current manifold. The Felpro part number is MS96004 Valley Pan gasket. I guess they offer the intake manifold to head gaskets only, as well, which is what made the whole thing a little confusing for a newbie like me.
Old February 3rd, 2016 | 09:18 AM

That's the big block part number I think. Search for Fel‑Pro MS96009 Valley Pan Gasket Set. This link from Eric is pretty good gasket reference list. Don't re-use the old one.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...et-thread.html
Old February 3rd, 2016 | 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by tcolt
Thank you. I'm not sure how much I can bend that intake manifold to make it fit, but I'll try.

Tom

veeeeery funny
Old February 3rd, 2016 | 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
veeeeery funny
I try... :-)

Dane, you just saved me from buying the gasket for a big block (part number ...04 above. He posted the correct part number along with a really good thread on intake manifold installation which I hadn't seen after two hours of browsing and reading Felpro MS96009. I just bought one at the best price currently for $20 on ebay, shipped...:

classicoldsmobile.com/forums/big-blocks/62068-gasket-thread.html

Last edited by tcolt; February 3rd, 2016 at 10:19 AM.